So what will the northman do now? Serious question since they...

16 minutes ago, divica said:

Or euron will take advantage that the northern army left the north and start his northern invasion like balon… The show likes so much to repeat things...

Ya, it's possible, for sure. I just don't think Cersei would buy it and I don't think Euron would be able to effectively execute it. The Iron born like to stick their hand in the cookie jar, but they ALWAYS get it cut off. 

1 hour ago, Ser Uncle P said:

Yes I know, but Glover swore an oath to House Stark as headed by Jon. As far as we know he is still the head of House Stark and can call on Glover to aid Winterfell per the words of his oath. 

I never understood this to be honest. What is jon supposed to do her? She has ninety thousand dothraki,six thousand unsullied and Two dragons when he gives up his crown. The north at full strength wouldn't have been able to stand up to that.  So this BS that they are all mad because jon gave up the crown made no sense. He couldn't fight dany and win so he joined her and got her massive army to help fight the army of the dead. Seems to me like that is the best anyone could do.

1 minute ago, snow is the man said:

I never understood this to be honest. What is jon supposed to do her? She has ninety thousand dothraki,six thousand unsullied and Two dragons when he gives up his crown. The north at full strength wouldn't have been able to stand up to that.  So this BS that they are all mad because jon gave up the crown made no sense. He couldn't fight dany and win so he joined her and got her massive army to help fight the army of the dead. Seems to me like that is the best anyone could do.

It's not supposed to make sense, it is there to prop up Sansa and set her up as the Lady of Winterfell. 

7 hours ago, Bradam said:

what point would invading the north serve Cersi?  Revenge I guess?  The land mass is to huge, she'd never be able to hold it.  Winter is set in, isn't any gold to steal, they are no threat to her.  There was a scene back where she was explaining to Joffery about how the north works.

Because it's the seven kingdoms. She believes she should rule it. I didn't say they would attack during winter but when summer came yeah she would. The idea that cersei would let the north go is ridiculous.  Stannis and tywin wouldn't have let the north have independence either. The north may be big but it has very little people. And right now has very little fighting men. By themselves they are very weak right now. And will be for a LONG time.

3 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

It's not supposed to make sense, it is there to prop up Sansa and set her up as the Lady of Winterfell. 

After seeing the army of the dead how can anyone agree with Sansa's stance? 

And after her atitude Danny should never appoint her as warden in the north. How could Danny ever believe that Sansa won t wait for the best opportunity to claim independence for the north? 

5 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I don't understand? How is this supposed to prop sansa up as the lady of winterfell. I said in my first post that if jon married dany the sansa would likely become warden of the north and the lady of winterfell. She already has alot of power..I don't understand what you were saying

Just now, divica said:

And after her atitude Danny should never appoint her as warden in the north. How could Danny ever believe that Sansa won t wait for the best opportunity to claim independence for the north? 

It will happen because the show wants it to happen.  That's the answer.  A viewer who is paying attention would realize that complaining about having enough food for people on the eve of a battle that was expected to, and did kill almost everyone is stupid.  The same viewer would realize that bitching about what comes 'after' when there was a good chance Dany would end up dead anyway, is also stupid.  Snarking and eye rolling at people who came to defend you and your people is not leadership it's stupid.

But, the show does not believe any of these stupid actions are stupid, they believe they are smart and show leadership and skill.  It is what it is. 

2 hours ago, TNTW said:

For his sister? No, I don't think he will either. Not on show, not in books. For Jaime? Yes, on show at least. Of course it's more complicated in the books after Jaime revealed the truth to Tyrion about Tysha

yeah i agree for jamie. maybe dany wants to kill him over the mad kings death. 

4 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

It will happen because the show wants it to happen.  That's the answer.  A viewer who is paying attention would realize that complaining about having enough food for people on the eve of a battle that was expected to, and did kill almost everyone is stupid

I think food shortage is some kind of inside joke in the show. Several characters talk about it but nothing ever happens and almost nobody does anything to solve the issue. 

Like Danny burning the food that was coming from the reach to KL. Will it have any significance? No. 

The dragons not eating in the north means anything? No

Just now, divica said:

I think food shortage is some kind of inside joke in the show. Several characters talk about it but nothing ever happens and almost nobody does anything to solve the issue. 

Like Danny burning the food that was coming from the reach to KL. Will it have any significance? No. 

The dragons not eating in the north means anything? No

How bout that greyscale epidemic.  Oh wait, that was a completely pointless plot point.  I can't even imagine how many of these dead end, dangling plots there are in the show and since now I will never rewatch it, I will never have a count.  LOL.

39 minutes ago, Wik said:

This.

It's just like Russia in the Napoleonic conflict or WWII.

They have such a huge land mass, attrition will hurt any Lannister/Greyjoy army that attacks inland.

Reed's Crannogmen would likely be able to hold Callin for a LONG time vs a force marching north and even if they used their Navy it would get bogged down going through the huge wide open areas. It could be done, but it would be a huge undertaking, time consuming, massive amounts of men and materiel. Plus, who is even commanding those armies? Euron? The dude is a nut and posses ambition, and no tactical acumen. 

The war is over in the north. Everything changes south, I bet. The healing and recovery of the northern lands is underway. 

River lands destruction: TAKE 2!!!!

They wouldn't have to go through the open seas. They would just go sail up the coast a little and then land. Then they could attack moat caillin from the north where it is weaker and be able to take it. If dany is defeated then cersei could throw ten of thousands of troops into the north. I am sure she could find someone capable of leading the troops on land. If dany is beatin then noone is gonna be able to take the south so she would be queen with no real threats. She could find a decent commander.  The north has been fighting since season one and has lost the vast majority of their fighting men in the war of five kings,the iron borne attacking, fighting stannis,and the battle of the bastards,and the the battle against the dead. The north never had a massive amount of fighting men and after them gettiing killed to such a degree I would be amazed if they had two thousand fighters left. Not to mention they don't have alot of food,gold,or the resources to sustain a fight for long. And I don't see the northman having the fight that they would need anymore to stomach the amount of death and destruction that they would take from a prolonged guerilla war at least they don't have the fight in them anymore.

I happen to study history alot  and have to say that the real world equivilant to this fight would be at best when the soviet union invaded finland in the beggining of WW2. And the north would be finland. The fins put up a great fight but in the end they lost. And that was with the soviet union using crappy tactics as well. The south has ALOT more people and ALOT more resource.  When napoleon and hitler attacked russia they attacked a place that had ALOT of resources and ALOT of people that were willing to fight to the death on mass to defend their land. It took russia a bit to get their industry in gear but eventually they were able to. However both hitler and napolean were also fighting a war on the other size of their empire (britain in both cases) Cersei doesn't have that problem.  Also unlike russia the north has been part of the seven kingdoms for over three hundred years and until  lets say seven years ago (probably alot less in the GOT world) they had a king named and then killed after a few years at most and got ALOT of their people killed over that time and were invaded by the iron born and are tired of fighting.

35 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

28 minutes ago, divica said:

Why doesn't anyone here consider the FACT that Sansa isn't going to Warden. The man she MARRIES will be. This is the nature of common law in this period. That is why Tywin coveted her so much. You can literally take power of the north through her and her blood lines. Regardless of if it is a marriage of love or convenience, the title of Lord of WInterfell and Warden of the North goes to the man that weds her. Plain and simple. 

7 minutes ago, Wik said:

Why doesn't anyone here consider the FACT that Sansa isn't going to Warden. The man she MARRIES will be. This is the nature of common law in this period. That is why Tywin coveted her so much. You can literally take power of the north through her and her blood lines. Regardless of if it is a marriage of love or convenience, the title of Lord of WInterfell and Warden of the North goes to the man that weds her. Plain and simple. 

No it does not. Warden of … is not hereditary. Robin was Lord of the Vale after Jon's death but he was NOT Warden of the East. Instead, Robert named Jaime Lannister Warden of the East. It is perfectly reasonable for anyone with a valid argument for being the defender of a region (true enough in Sansa's case) to take the title. The King/Queen has full authority on that.

27 minutes ago, snow is the man said:

The north never had a massive amount of fighting men  

Are you drunk????

The North has a huge sprawl of land and has a large, but sparsely settled region. They have plenty of fighting me. They contributed to Robert's Rebellion in a HUGE way. The war host of the north is massive. Now, yes, they have taken some serious casualties. But to say they NEVER had a large body of men is crazy. They absolutely did. 

And yes, I also study a large amount of military history, I would rather not debate with you on this. Yes, obviously they COULD just flank the Moat with their navy. Again, does Euron strike ANYONE as the tactical type? No.....not at all.  

And with all that said, it doesn't matter AT ALL. Because as I mentioned earlier, the war in the north is done. It's over. Everything happens south now. It's literally a moot point. 

2 minutes ago, Hippocras said:

No it does not. Warden of … is not hereditary. Robin was Lord of the Vale after Jon's death but he was NOT Warden of the East. Instead, Robert named Jaime Lannister Warden of the East.

LOL I knew as I typed that the Warden thing was going to bite me in the ass....

OK, fair enough. The Warden title is more malleable.

But, GENERALLY, the Starks have been the Wardens of the north. As long as Sansa's husband isn't a sniveling 5 year old boy, it is VERY likely, her husband will be titled Warden of the North, as has been the case for hundreds of years. No one thinks this ends with the Glvoers as Wardens of the North, right???

9 minutes ago, Wik said:

LOL I knew as I typed that the Warden thing was going to bite me in the ass....

OK, fair enough. The Warden title is more malleable.

But, GENERALLY, the Starks have been the Wardens of the north. As long as Sansa's husband isn't a sniveling 5 year old boy, it is VERY likely, her husband will be titled Warden of the North, as has been the case for hundreds of years. No one thinks this ends with the Glvoers as Wardens of the North, right???

It is the King or Queen's right to give the title to whoever they want. So this is not about tradition but about if Jon becomes King and names her warden of the North. He left her in charge before and could do so again.

3 hours ago, longest night said:

No, Warden of the North is an appointed title. Anyone can be the Warden of the North if appointed, hence why Littlefinger tried to make a deal to be appointed it. He was appointed the title by Daenerys which none of the North have pledged their loyalty to.

Glover swore an oath to "Jon Snow, king in the North". He's no longer that.

It was to House Stark and Jon Snow. Bran and Arya are Starks.

11 minutes ago, Hippocras said:

It is the King or Queen's right to give the title to whoever they want. So this is not about tradition but about if Jon becomes King and names her warden of the North. He left her in charge before and could do so again.

Fair enough, but whoever marries her will be the Lord that the bannermen answer to and even if Sansa is named Warden, her husband will have that clout behind him. 

2 hours ago, Wik said:

Are you drunk????

The North has a huge sprawl of land and has a large, but sparsely settled region. They have plenty of fighting me. They contributed to Robert's Rebellion in a HUGE way. The war host of the north is massive. Now, yes, they have taken some serious casualties. But to say they NEVER had a large body of men is crazy. They absolutely did. 

And yes, I also study a large amount of military history, I would rather not debate with you on this. Yes, obviously they COULD just flank the Moat with their navy. Again, does Euron strike ANYONE as the tactical type? No.....not at all.  

And with all that said, it doesn't matter AT ALL. Because as I mentioned earlier, the war in the north is done. It's over. Everything happens south now. It's literally a moot point. 

The north has the least people of any kingdom except dorne if I remember right. When aegon and his sisters conquered westero's the king of the north gathered all the troops he could and got a grand total of 35,000 if I remember right. That was him drafting peasents as well to fight with farming tools. Now I can't remember if it's in the books or show but rob brings half of the norths fighting force south and even if we pretend the boltons and karstarks got out with little casulties they still lost well over half that number. Then you had the iron borne rape and pillage their way across the north taking treasure and destroying everything since that seems all that their capable off. Then you had the battle of the bastards which got thousands killed. Then you have the army of the dead battle and they wiped out the umbers so no troops there.  And considering this thread is about "what will the northman do now" it is relevant.

And again there has to be generals besides euron in he south. And considering the iron born already used that strategy it seems likely that they would copy it again.

And no the north doesn't have a massive amount of fighting men compare to the southern kingdoms. They could not stand against a united southern army which is what will happen if cersei beats dany.

Archived