MCUniverse: Phase Four and Beyond(er) **maybe spoilers**

PyroclasticFlow

They made a movie about how he lost an eye, they could make a movie about why Maria is different to everyone else.

They can start doing McUniverse movies like Star Wars did Rogue One and Solo. Would it be particularly disrespectful to say Black Widow could be the first?

Not being serious, Black Widow is an Avenger and deserves her solo movie. A Hawkeye movie though...

Spoiler

There are I think only 3 people in the MCU who call him Nick, I'd have to go look it up, but it was brought up when Captain Marvel came out. There's certainly some interesting ideas about who has been a skrull for how long and when but I'm pretty sure if Hill had ALWAYS been a skrull she would have transformed when she got dusted.

Saw Far From Home.  Initial reaction is that I think I like it better than Homecoming.  There was a lot of good in the first one, but I just never got into it.  I was digging this one.

Loved both post credits scenes.

Interesting thing about the blip in Far From Home:

Spoiler

The basketball game shows the people disappearing in some pain, like Parker, but rematerisalising instantly, in some cases still playing their instruments. That suggests that Banner erased people's memories of their "deaths," instead having them reappear with no cognitive awareness or memory of dying, which probably saved several billion in psychiatrists' fees right there.

That also explains why it's called the "blip" by the people who actually vanished. One second you're standing in your kitchen or whatever having a normal conversation in 2018 and literally a nanosecond later it's 2023 and strangers are screaming at you to get out of their house.

Huh, just found out, via buzzfeed, that

Spoiler

Fury has been a Skrull since Age of Ultron.  Because he cuts his sandwich diagonal or something.  And in Captain Marvel he says he can’t eat toast that way.

I mean, in a lot of ways it makes no sense, but otherwise seems pretty concrete though.  Why else would they have that weird line in there?

Eh, That doesn't work since

Spoiler

it was confirmed that skrulls transform before they dust, and Fury obviously doesn't at the end of IW. I think people are looking waaay to close at things. Captain Marvel is a prequel, it's going to screw up some stuff in continuity. Also, toast =/= sandwich. :P

6 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Hide contents

it was confirmed that skrulls transform before they dust, and Fury obviously doesn't at the end of IW. I think people are looking waaay to close at things. Captain Marvel is a prequel, it's going to screw up some stuff in continuity. Also, toast =/= sandwich. :P

There's also no way Soren would call out "Nick?" and not "Talos" when she started turning to dust. 

I could buy that once or twice it was Talos, but anything like that would clearly be a retcon along the lines of "Peter Parker was that little girl in Iron Man 2."

I wonder if you could somehow work this into his death faking in Winter Soldier, if anything.

18 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Reveal hidden contents

Nuh-uh, it was like a toasted cheese sandwich, a “grilled cheese,” I believe you guys call it.  But I agree it doesn’t really work.  Weird line though.

42 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

Now that’d be some retcon....

They already did it. It was I think Jon Favraeu's daughter under an Iron Man mask. Now according to Feige it was Peter Parker.  

Edit: I'm sorry it was Favreau's son, I dunno why I thought it was a little girl. 

I think the convention is if it's 2 pieces of bread (toasted or otherwise) put together with a layer of some other food between them, then it's not "toast" even if it's toasted, and aesthetically a diagonal cut is the best presentation, and the best eating experience. Therefore Fury would not be freaked out by that. If it's a single slice of toasted bread with something on top, that's "toast". And while Fury goes a bit far in not being able to at it, his general sentiment is correct, diagonally sliced toast is bad. It should either be presented as a whole slice or cut into 4 or 5 long axis fingers.

That's my thesis on toast aesthetics.

On 7/4/2019 at 2:06 AM, Argonath Diver said:

Anti-Targ, I think you're probably right about the MCU moving forward and probably only barely mentioning the blip here and there. I could see it as a motivation for a future bad guy in Ant Man 3 or something of that nature, but otherwise stubbornly ignored. People like me are going to keep obstinately saying "Yeah okay but what about..." throughout Phase 4, so perhaps we're all better off just rolling our eyes and pretending it was no big deal the way they clearly would like us to.

Yeah, but what about.... Elected politicians?! Damnit it took me 15 seconds to come up with yet another one. What about... people who were hospitalized? In labor? When does the Snap recognize life?? Was it 6 weeks, 3 months, out of the womb?! Where's the Scanners head-explosion gif when I need it!

I don't mean for this to come across as wildly hostile, but are you one of those people who watch CinemaSins and take it seriously instead of just chuckling lightly? I love getting immersed in the logic and structure of a world, but people are nitpicking the fuck out of a plot device. The Avengers saved the fucking day. Cheer and watch the next story or don't, but these complaints are churlish and indicative of a sense of undeserved entitlement.

BTW, Argonath, I'm responding to a number of posts in the Spiderman proper thread with this statement it's not necessarily directed at you.

3 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

I don't mean for this to come across as wildly hostile, but are you one of those people who watch CinemaSins and take it seriously instead of just chuckling lightly? I love getting immersed in the logic and structure of a world, but people are nitpicking the fuck out of a plot device. The Avengers saved the fucking day. Cheer and watch the next story or don't, but these complaints are churlish and indicative of a sense of undeserved entitlement.

BTW, Argonath, I'm responding to a number of posts in the Spiderman proper thread with this statement it's not necessarily directed at you.

Stick the important topics please, what is and isn't toast and when is it OK to cut it diagonally? Heroes saving the world is a stupid fantasy. Toast is real.

10 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

You getting hostile about it seems the unreasonable thing as I don't recall anyone complaining about the blip resolution making personal attacks and accusations on people who aren't bothered about it. 

We can agree to disagree but there's no need to accuse people if being churlish and undeserved entitlement. I pay to watch these films, I'm allowed to have an opinion on them and I can't not watch a film when I don't know how they will resolve. Next marvel film - that's an option. Not with far from home though unless I'm meant to read a plot synopsis before watching.

14 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

I actually rather agree with you in general about heated discussions involving comic movies. I want my comic movies to have a specific visual feel of a 2D comic book brought to life in motion. I am generally not worried whatsoever hat the MCU makes very little sense. I love loads and loads of corny movies, sci-fi mind-benders, and animated stuff where logic must be benched for sheer entertainment, and cheerfully list Mad Max Fury Road and John Wick as my favorite action movies despite existing purely to viscerally celebrate total absurdity.

Time travel just always grinds my gears, I suppose. I'm not trying to be a nitpicker, as you say, but sure, the blip seems like such a vast event that it's harder to swallow than "Thor really is 1500 years old and has an electric hammer because Asgardians are not human and Jumbo Tyrion knows how to make cool weapons". Like you said in between the vitriol, I'll cheer and watch the next movie. Far From Home was superb, and of course they aren't going to transform the world into dystopian chaos filled with un-blipped criminals and terminally ill people. 

I do not feel churlish nor entitled, but thanks for your honesty. It's all good, I disagree with or misunderstand the intent of a shitload of your posts as well, if that never happened, message boards wouldn't exist. 

On 7/7/2019 at 5:08 PM, john said:

Nuh-uh, it was like a toasted cheese sandwich, a “grilled cheese,” I believe you guys call it.  But I agree it doesn’t really work.  Weird line though.

A Toasted Royale with Cheese?

:leaving:

Archived