MCUniverse: Phase Four and Beyond(er) **maybe spoilers**

PyroclasticFlow

You guys are making me yearn for phase 4 to include a Nick Fury-centered project with his partner, Agent Vega, who can serve all international and intergalactic enemies with his prodigious dancing.

On 7/12/2019 at 10:02 PM, Corvinus said:

The Russo brothers know my birthday and will give me a present. :P

But... what big name announcement is it? :dunno: 

4 hours ago, Rhom said:

But... what big name announcement is it? :dunno: 

I doubt it's an MCU thing I think they said they were done for a while. One article I saw said one of the videos played music from Community. Though I'd expect Dan Harmon to be making any announcements about that. Though they could bring him on stage and announce a the long prophesied Community movie. 

23 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Funny... out of all the phase one movies to launch the MCU... I think I would have voted Thor as the character least likely to reach a fourth solo movie.  :lol:  Even Hulk felt like it had more to work with than Thor at the time.

23 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Funny... out of all the phase one movies to launch the MCU... I think I would have voted Thor as the character least likely to reach a fourth solo movie.  :lol:  Even Hulk felt like it had more to work with than Thor at the time.

Indeed.  The first Thor movie viewed in isolation seems like a joke.  Like "yes, this character really is this ridiculous and we're embracing it in our $100 million dollar movie". 

2 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Indeed.  The first Thor movie viewed in isolation seems like a joke.  Like "yes, this character really is this ridiculous and we're embracing it in our $100 million dollar movie". 

Exactly.  It was an odd mix of trying to play Thor straight while still being ridiculous in some things (his march into the palace basically high fiving everyone for example).  Dark World suffered even more by trying to play him fully straight.

It wasn't until they went full on space buddy cop movie and all the fun fantasy that involved and then went even more playing it up in Infinity War and Endgame that they really found a Thor that works on the screen IMO.

51 minutes ago, RumHam said:

While I was a bit harsh on the film itself for being a bit too silly, I can't deny it was the first stepping stone towards making Thor arguably my favourite MCU character. Hemsworth clearly loves playing the self-deprecating yet weirdly arrogant comedy Thor and Infinity war and endgame really put him through the wringer. 

Beyond a cap 4 returning to Winter Soldier routes Thor is easily the phase one character I want to see more of. Ideally he'll still be in Guardians 3 as well (although it could prove tricky depending on the order of film releases).

1 minute ago, red snow said:

While I was a bit harsh on the film itself for being a bit too silly, I can't deny it was the first stepping stone towards making Thor arguably my favourite MCU character. Hemsworth clearly loves playing the self-deprecating yet weirdly arrogant comedy Thor and Infinity war and endgame really put him through the wringer. 

Beyond a cap 4 returning to Winter Soldier routes Thor is easily the phase one character I want to see more of. Ideally he'll still be in Guardians 3 as well (although it could prove tricky depending on the order of film releases).

Asgardians of the Galaxy ftw!!!!

I'd love to see a full film of Thor and Quill playing off each other.

I do really like the Thor of Ragnorak, Infinity War, and Endgame.

My only concern at this stage is how will this interact with the Thor/Guardians pairing that looked so promising? Ideally (IMO), they'd be in Thor 4 and he'd be in GotG 3, but I wonder if Marvel would think that's too much overlap. They could make one follow-up on the other, and differentiate them by which supporting characters show up, but I dunno just how connected Marvel wants the movies to be in Phase 4; at least at the start.

10 minutes ago, Fez said:

Ideally (IMO), they'd be in Thor 4 and he'd be in GotG 3

I don't think they'll do that. Assuming GotG 3 is in part a "the search for Gamora" type movie it wouldn't really make sense to delay that search. But really anything's on the table. Thor 4 could technically come out before GotG3 and be set after. Guardians 2 was set years before the other MCU films that came out that year. 

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Asgardians of the Galaxy ftw!!!!

I'd love to see a full film of Thor and Quill playing off each other.

Yeah, the scenes with the two of them were fun an Quill deserves some ribbing for his lacklustre behaviour in Infinity war.

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

I don't think they'll do that. Assuming GotG 3 is in part a "the search for Gamora" type movie it wouldn't really make sense to delay that search. But really anything's on the table. Thor 4 could technically come out before GotG3 and be set after. Guardians 2 was set years before the other MCU films that came out that year. 

I know none of us are idiots but it does seem a bit confusing to have interconnected franchises be in a non chronological order. eg saying Thor 4 is set after GOTG 3 but releasing it beforehand just seems uneccessarily chaotic. I know they are doing this a lot (Captain Marvel, Ant man and the Wasp, apparently black Widow) but those films weren't actively involving characters that were supposed to be together. Basically if Thor and the Guardians story happens before Thor 4 then it seems easiest to release them in that order. Pretty easy to have Thor dash off on a rainbow when called off for his own adventure or for Thor and the Guardians to part ways at the end of GOTG3.

1 hour ago, Fez said:

I do really like the Thor of Ragnorak, Infinity War, and Endgame.

My only concern at this stage is how will this interact with the Thor/Guardians pairing that looked so promising? Ideally (IMO), they'd be in Thor 4 and he'd be in GotG 3, but I wonder if Marvel would think that's too much overlap. They could make one follow-up on the other, and differentiate them by which supporting characters show up, but I dunno just how connected Marvel wants the movies to be in Phase 4; at least at the start.

I'm wondering whether the overlap is due to the fact that GOTG3 was up in the air for a while during the silly James Gunn firing incident. A lot of rumours were floating around suggesting Taika would possibly do GOTG3 instead. Maybe what we are getting here is the Taika idea being turned into Thor 4 while Gunn gets to do his GOTG3.

It'd be interesting if the end of endgame was a set up for Gunn's GOTG3 or whether the ending was post sacking and actually set up for Thor 4/asgardians of the galaxy? eg Was Thor part of Gunn's plan all along? Could well have been as you could argue Thor 3 was maybe aligning Thor with the cosmic side more so that he could wind up with the guardians,

32 minutes ago, red snow said:

I'm wondering whether the overlap is due to the fact that GOTG3 was up in the air for a while during the silly James Gunn firing incident. A lot of rumours were floating around suggesting Taika would possibly do GOTG3 instead. Maybe what we are getting here is the Taika idea being turned into Thor 4 while Gunn gets to do his GOTG3.

It'd be interesting if the end of endgame was a set up for Gunn's GOTG3 or whether the ending was post sacking and actually set up for Thor 4/asgardians of the galaxy? eg Was Thor part of Gunn's plan all along? Could well have been as you could argue Thor 3 was maybe aligning Thor with the cosmic side more so that he could wind up with the guardians,

The scheduling overlap is definitely because of Gunn's firing. The story overlaps, on the other hand, could have been planned. And Taika flat out refused to direct GotG3, saying that's someone else's work, and he didn't want to step on it. I don't he conveyed any ideas about it.

Thor will fight all of you.    

Here are ideas from my pitch meeting for Thor 4:  By then the Eternals will be available to interact with, to give Thor a cosmic task.   (Jock itch related).  Meet the Vanir gods.  (The ones from the recent playstation God of War game).   Fight Kratos.   Thor may have been fighting Adam climactically in GotG3 when they both got blown (into a vortex) to a new realm for Thor 4.   They find the garden of eden and steal the golden apples that sustain gods with eternal life, succeeding where humanity got caught and punished.   Jane Foster comes back as Femme Thor to punish the ingrates in the audience who scoffed at her great face acting of love's emotions in Thor 1.     The birdlike Shi'ar discover turkeys on Earth and covet our bounty- - -Thor 4: the Last Thanksgiving.   In the first NC17 rated MCU movie Galactus is first detected when he gets wood and causes the prolapse of several nearby black holes which become visible for the first time because he leaves them gaping.  Loki emerges from one of them with his clothing all wrinkled and torn up looking.  Sif returns, but she can't remember anything and she's covered in tattoos, and solving the mystery brings her and Thor close.   (She's the Temptress.   The real Sif is married to Howard the Duck and has given up on love.  Thor 4: The Anullment).    

It was an all or nothing deal.  I didn't want the studio to pick and choose all willy nilly like a grab bag.  They had to use all of these ideas in the same movie, or none of them.  I was very clear on that.  There will be no diluting of my vision for this movie.

Some of those suggestions are actually plausible from Taika. Probably won't be able to get the x-rated stuff through.

12 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

As long as we get more Valkyrie!

She's sort of the "all-father" now so should be a decent bet. 

12 hours ago, Corvinus said:

The scheduling overlap is definitely because of Gunn's firing. The story overlaps, on the other hand, could have been planned. And Taika flat out refused to direct GotG3, saying that's someone else's work, and he didn't want to step on it. I don't he conveyed any ideas about it.

Yeah, i think it's plausible he wouldn't direct GOTG3 off of Gunn's script but he was maybe happy to use the characters in the way they were used in avengers or the way he used hulk

Avengers Endgame Writers Clear Up Lingering Questions

Don't think anyone's posted or commented on the content of this interview.  I thought their explanations mostly made a lot of sense and kind of what I figured already.  Their ambivalence about whether Cap started an alt universe or it's just one timeline suggests Fiege and co. are still figuring the whole multiverse thing out right now.  My favorite though:

Explaining why a rodent was chosen to be the savior of the universe, McFeely said, “It seemed fitting with the ‘Ant-Man’ franchise, A, and then, B, we’re OK with a coincidence in Act One. I think all screenplays are. These two people meet and therefore they have a romance, and that’s only through coincidence, etc. So the idea that a rat saved the universe was kind of delightful to us.”

Markus said, “It’s not really a coincidence. It’s an incident.”

Save the rat, save the world.  I can see the Disney+ show about it now.

24 minutes ago, DMC said:

Avengers Endgame Writers Clear Up Lingering Questions

Don't think anyone's posted or commented on the content of this interview.  I thought their explanations mostly made a lot of sense and kind of what I figured already.  Their ambivalence about whether Cap started an alt universe or it's just one timeline suggests Fiege and co. are still figuring the whole multiverse thing out right now.  My favorite though:

Save the rat, save the world.  I can see the Disney+ show about it now.

Matpat did a Film Theory Youtube video about the rat, because when he saw the movie for the first time he was pissed off that it all came down to a rat walking over a button, which felt so implausible and unlikely and contrived. What he discovered was that, with a whole bunch of assumptions, there was about a 95% chance that a rat would walk over the button within 5 years. So not only was it plausible, but given not too much more time it was basically inevitable that a rat would walk over the button. In fact it could be argued that there was a very high chance of it happening much sooner than 5 years and the 5 years was more of a contrivance than anything else.

I'm sure the writers did not nerd out and do a whole bunch of calculations the way Matpat did. But it's interesting that the nerd treatment of the subject ended up validating the writer's funny coincidence plot device.

Archived