MCUniverse: Phase Four and Beyond(er) **maybe spoilers**

PyroclasticFlow

18 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

No but the actor chosen to play him was a villain in the first season of Luke Cage.

We they recast a role, that hadn't actually appeared yet with a much more prominent actor for the big screen?  That doesn't seem like a repudiation of the Netflix show...but I'm not fully up on them, and have barely watched any of them...

Sorry. See what you mean...Ali was in a Netflix show...

51 minutes ago, Bastard of Boston said:

I also wonder how they'll handle Jane's transformation. In the comic, they treat it as if she looks completely different as Thor -- not just Jane with blonde hair. I doubt they'll cast a Thor actress. Maybe they'll CGI Nat Portman's face onto a bigger body? Like Evans in Cap 1, only in reverse?

Yeah but that's coz in the comics, although that element has mostly been sidelined in recent years, Donald Blake is also a completely separate person to Thor, who transforms into him when weilding the hammer (although I understand there are variations on this that are less creepy, that was the original thing). They went a little less extreme with Jane who is still the same person, but having got rid of the mechanic for Thor they won't bring it back for Jane.

Anyway, these plans are fricking excellent. That's a real power cast for Eternals.

2 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

He's supposed to have a show in dev featuring she hulk.

That's gonna be an expensive show, with all the CGI. 

23 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Yeah but that's coz in the comics, although that element has mostly been sidelined in recent years, Donald Blake is also a completely separate person to Thor, who transforms into him when weilding the hammer (although I understand there are variations on this that are less creepy, that was the original thing). They went a little less extreme with Jane who is still the same person, but having got rid of the mechanic for Thor they won't bring it back for Jane.

Plus Captain America didn't change or anything when he used the hammer. 

Ali as Blade sounds awesome. 

As much as I loved Portman throughout my 20s, she has a real knack of being a charisma and personality black hole. I don't know how she will handle humour in a Thor 4 movie, I suspect she won't. It's a nice idea, but maybe they could have found another way to do a female Thor.. even Valkyrie would have been better, even if I think she is also marvellously bland as well.

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Ali as Blade sounds awesome. 

As much as I loved Portman throughout my 20s, she has a real knack of being a charisma and personality black hole. I don't know how she will handle humour in a Thor 4 movie, I suspect she won't. It's a nice idea, but maybe they could have found another way to do a female Thor.. even Valkyrie would have been better, even if I think she is also marvellously bland as well.

We know Portman can act, so I’m hoping Waititi can do something with her. 

7 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

And yeah they pretty much went "Netflix shows? lol"

Least surprising part of the announcements. Although technically it's more a case of "we are using different the same actor twice" which they also did with the female antagonist in luke cage and civil war.

I still can't find anything stating where blade is appearing? There's no announcement of a film as far as i can see. Although i admit the info is a bit chaotic so far with the glut of news.

41 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

We know Portman can act, so I’m hoping Waititi can do something with her. 

She tried "your highness" so i think she is open to comedy and i suspect Taika can drag it out of her. I guess it depends whether she's funny in real life as a lot of Taika's humour comes from ad lib.

3 hours ago, RumHam said:

That's gonna be an expensive show, with all the CGI. 

Plus Captain America didn't change or anything when he used the hammer. 

Nah. Green paint if they cast she hulk well. Hulk only needs to be in episode one (or conveniently able to exist as banner again). But it does seem like the marvel tv shows are going to be premium in terms of cost. It's part of the star wars, marvel 1-2 punch to drive disney+ subscription after all.

Maybe Hemsworth Thor will pass the mantle onto Jane willingly in the film?

As for is this all of phase 4. No mention of GOTG3 and black panther 2 makes me suspect that this isn't the full list. Captain marvel 2 could slip into phase 5 and maybe GOTG 3 because of scheduling but if that's the case i think the "phases" are a nonsense and just mean a slate of releases rather than any coherent grouping. 

Maybe black panther 2 is big enough to have its own announcement?

15 minutes ago, red snow said:

This sounds pretty good. Thor already gave up the kingship to Valkyrie. So he gives up the power of Thor to Portman, so that Earth and the surrounding area has a protector while he goes off to hang out with his GotG buddies. That way in the next GotG movie he’s nerfed enough he’s just another member of the team, and not more powerful than everyone else combined. 

2 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

This sounds pretty good. Thor already gave up the kingship to Valkyrie. So he gives up the power of Thor to Portman, so that Earth and the surrounding area has a protector while he goes off to hang out with his GotG buddies. That way in the next GotG movie he’s nerfed enough he’s just another member of the team, and not more powerful than everyone else combined. 

Portman as Thor definitely feels like it can square his Guardians appearance. 

I find the "thor" title weird as it's Thor's name, his title is "god of thunder" but i can understand why, for brand recognition, they call other characters Thor. Although i'd be cool with "Jane- god of thunder" as a film title 

1 hour ago, red snow said:

Portman as Thor definitely feels like it can square his Guardians appearance. 

I find the "thor" title weird as it's Thor's name, his title is "god of thunder" but i can understand why, for brand recognition, they call other characters Thor. Although i'd be cool with "Jane- god of thunder" as a film title 

They're only mirroring the Jason Aaron Mighty Thor run, where Jane was both Thor in name and powers. While Thor was having his identity crisis, he essentially relinquished the name -- as if it only were a title -- and went simply by "Odinson." For me, it tracks. The inscription on the hammer sort of anoints the wielder as Thor.

I do hope Taika balances his clearly comedic style with some drama for this movie. The Jane/cancer arc from the books was beautiful. And I gotta believe that Natalie wouldn't have come back if she felt like they weren't giving her something meaty to work on.

7 hours ago, Heartofice said:

It's fucking magic how you'll always find reasons to shit on something that has a woman in a place where you think there should be a guy.

55 minutes ago, Bastard of Boston said:

I do hope Taika balances his clearly comedic style with some drama for this movie. The Jane/cancer arc from the books was beautiful. And I gotta believe that Natalie wouldn't have come back if she felt like they weren't giving her something meaty to work on.

I kinda have my doubts that they'll do the cancer story, it would really have needed more setting up, but maybe they will.

Also it's worth remembering that there's no actual Mjolnir in the modern timeline so the plot may well have something to do with reforging that as well.

1 hour ago, Bastard of Boston said:

Ragnarok would have been a much, much darker movie without Taika's comedy. 

27 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

It's fucking magic how you'll always find reasons to shit on something that has a woman in a place where you think there should be a guy.

Did I say I think it should be a guy? Nope. Of course it’s magic how quickly you are to throw around accusations. 

If Portman is good in the role I’ll be happy, I doubt she will because she doesn’t seem like a good fit with that sort of humour. Your highness was a pretty awful movie so hard to judge it, nobody came out looking good from that! 

Didn’t think I’d be much interested in any of these without FF or X-Men (I know they were sort of mentioned briefly at the end) but Jane Foster Thor did get me.  Crazy how this franchise became so big on the strength of one film.

Could be very good.  The very start of Aaron’s arc, where Thor comes back from space to revisit Earth and looks in on Jane to find she has cancer, tracks very well with where we are in the story.

Otherwise, Shang Chi I’ll probably see just to see how they handle a Kung fu movie, I really don’t care about the ten rings or whether they planned it all from the beginning (bullshit).  Doctor Strange with Scarlet Witch might be interesting. Blade and Eternals I’m not into at all.

6 hours ago, red snow said:

Nah. Green paint if they cast she hulk well. Hulk only needs to be in episode one (or conveniently able to exist as banner again). But it does seem like the marvel tv shows are going to be premium in terms of cost. It's part of the star wars, marvel 1-2 punch to drive disney+ subscription after all.

I didn't realize it was a She-Hulk show I thought they would both continually appear. The other person I thought of who seems at risk of being left behind is War Machine. I read that they were trying to lock down Cheadle for a series at one point. 

6 hours ago, red snow said:

Since it's called Love and Thunder I just assumed Thor and Jane got back together and she contracted the power of Thor like an STD. Is that not what happened in the comics? 

Archived