MCUniverse: Phase Four and Beyond(er) **maybe spoilers**

PyroclasticFlow

So does the Black Widow movie work itself in such a way that it results in bringing Natasha back? Because a straight up flashback movie that seemingly doesn't connect to an overall idea seems an odd choice. Like, does it take place entirely inside the soul stone, testing her about her past,  and then she's returned at the end?  

1 hour ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

So does the Black Widow movie work itself in such a way that it results in bringing Natasha back? Because a straight up flashback movie that seemingly doesn't connect to an overall idea seems an odd choice. Like, does it take place entirely inside the soul stone, testing her about her past,  and then she's returned at the end?  

Either that, or it is entirely a prequel but somehow helps setup whatever the big tie-in movie to end Phase 4 will be. 

For instance, maybe the movie is about her dealing with the Silver Surfer, who secretly came to Earth already in the past. He'll show up again in the Fantastic Four movie, whenever that is; there's other breadcrumbs along the way in other movies; and then in 2023 there's a movie about Galactus to round out Phase 4.

Or something else like that for whoever the next big bad is. 

Kinda surprised Thor 4 comes before Guardians 3.  Are they having Thor leave the Guardians to appear in Thor 4, then return to them for GG3? Or he's not returning to them.  Or he's just going to be in a brief cameo in Thor 4 for transferring the Thor title from him to Jane?  Either way seems to imply the Guardians (without Gamora probably) could appear briefly in Thor4.

1 hour ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I'm guessing they will introduce the new Black Widow (Florence Pugh)

3 hours ago, Rhom said:

That is... underwhelming...

That means no Captain Marvel 2, Black Panther 2, or GotG3 as part of the phase correct?

The cap of each phase has been an Avengers movie.  What are they building up to with this hodge podge of movies?  :dunno: 

No finale movie for this phase. I’ll post the article when I’m not on my phone.

2 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Not correct. They've just announced the films that are directly in production and have a set release date.

No, it’s been confirmed. Everything for this phase has been announced with no big movie to cap it off. It’s going to be a short phase.

34 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

No, it’s been confirmed. Everything for this phase has been announced with no big movie to cap it off. It’s going to be a short phase. 

Ah, okay. 

But in that case it doesn't really make any difference. We're still gonna get those movies before the next Avengers which is really what people have been thinking of as the phases until now.

1 hour ago, the hound of sansa said:

I'm guessing they will introduce the new Black Widow (Florence Pugh)

Sure.  That makes sense.  Not an issue either.  It's just that the premise of this movie, essentially a giant flashback for a charater whonhas been killed off, doesn't really track with the MCU process thus far.  Sure there are flashbacks, or movies set in the past, but they are all part of a bigger process. A Black Widow movie with ScarJo set in a flashback without her returning by the end of it, feels odd. Something is fishy in the process towards the greater whole...but that's kissy my personal vibe...

3 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Unless this somehow relates to contractual obligations (either actors or crew or whatever), it doesn't really make sense to arbitrarily refer to a two-year slate of movies as a "phase." I think there needs to be some sort of delineation at the start and end. There's a pretty clear start, but what's the end?

So if the Black Widow movie is set post CIvil War as has been reported then that means she went on multiple missions to Budapest?

And also that during the events of this relatively grounded spy-thriller the titular character is also laying dead in a pool of blood on Vormir. 

It's set between Civil War and Infinity War. That 2 year gap.  It'll reference her history. It's unclear if it is fully stand alone, or will bring her back...I think it will.  I think it's bookended by Vormir...

15 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

It's set between Civil War and Infinity War. That 2 year gap.  It'll reference her history. It's unclear if it is fully stand alone, or will bring her back...I think it will.  I think it's bookended by Vormir...

I kinda hope they don't bring her back? I like the character but they shouldn't cheapen death like that and they really tried to drive home that it was impossible in endgame. 

Anyway I was just saying that due to time travel she's already dead on Vormir during the events of this movie.  It almost certainly won't have any impact on the plot, its just an odd little detail. 

9 hours ago, Werthead said:

She thor, fuck off.

This is straight from the comics, from a very popular and well-received story arc.

It's a valid criticism if you read those comics and thought that whole story line didn't work. But if you're just being an anti-PC and unwoke edgelord with little knowledge of that story arc that's a different matter.

My only real question is does Natalie Portman's range encompass the comedy stylings of Taika Waititi. 

On 7/22/2019 at 2:28 AM, Bastard of Boston said:

I do hope Taika balances his clearly comedic style with some drama for this movie. The Jane/cancer arc from the books was beautiful. And I gotta believe that Natalie wouldn't have come back if she felt like they weren't giving her something meaty to work on.

Watch 'Boy'.

3 hours ago, Fez said:

Unless this somehow relates to contractual obligations (either actors or crew or whatever), it doesn't really make sense to arbitrarily refer to a two-year slate of movies as a "phase." I think there needs to be some sort of delineation at the start and end. There's a pretty clear start, but what's the end?

I think it is still going to be that - it's the restart phase, we're introducing a bunch of new elements, the overall threat is gone and we'll get a bunch of disparate threats which don't have any clear connection and no widespread team work opposing it. Phase 5 would then be when they start pulling both the threat and the hero team together.

I think this is why BP and CM aren't in P4 - their stories will tie into starting to bring it together, which may give us a hint as to what that threat might be?

Yeah, the mistake would be to immediately introduce a new Thanos+ threat and immediately have everything tie into that. Having Phase 4 being about introducing new characters and resetting some familiar ones before we start building up to the new thing is important, and I think unusually wise.

The interesting thing is where they envisage going with this. Secret Wars? Can Galactus work onscreen? It's hard to top the Infinity Saga without getting into really silly territory.

Archived