MCUniverse: Phase Four and Beyond(er) **maybe spoilers**

PyroclasticFlow

Really excited about the new Thor. I thought Ragnorak was amazing. I just hope it sets things up for Thor to be in GOTG3.

I don't care about Blade on its own, but I'm really intrigued by Ali.

The rest I'll wait and see on; won't really think about them again until the reviews come out.

4 hours ago, RumHam said:

The other person I thought of who seems at risk of being left behind is War Machine. I read that they were trying to lock down Cheadle for a series at one point. 

"And then I dropped it right in front of his mansion. And I said, you looking for this General? War Machine story."

1 hour ago, Darth Richard II said:

:rolleyes:

Right

Anyway, there are some films they announced as part of Phase 4 that just don't have release dates/ are coming post 2021. GotG 3, BP2, Captain Marvel 2, FF.  I think Blade was announced as a film but I can;t find specifics.

Like you say, nothing beyond 2021so the others are phase 4.5 and not phase 5.

It's interesting how the timeline includes the TV shows lending further confidence they are all genuinely connected. Although that seemed pretty obvious the monent they started using movie actors and characters in the TV shows.

13 minutes ago, red snow said:

It's interesting how the timeline includes the TV shows lending further confidence they are all genuinely connected. Although that seemed pretty obvious the monent they started using movie actors and characters in the TV shows.

Yeah they flat out said WandaVision leads directly into Doctor Strange 2.

14 minutes ago, red snow said:

I also found it interesting that they would put movies side by side with tv shows in their announcements and really not make any sort of differentiation between them. Feels different to Agents of SHIELD being the sort of cheaper, less good looking sister to the movies, and Marvel Netflix being its own thing, sorta related but not really.

Natalie Portman is really the only big shocker for me. Even Blade was, yeah, that's exciting but somewhat to be expected to turn up in the MCU eventually. And F4 and X-men were always inevitable.

12 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Yeah they flat out said WandaVision leads directly into Doctor Strange 2.

I'm intrigued by wanda being in Dr strange. If he were to help explore her power that for all intents is magic it could work as a natural progression. I wonder if it's because she creates a world for her and vision in "wandavision" and Dr strange is a bit "shit, she has the power to create worlds" and takes her under his wing. Wanda has been a problem on "dark phoenix" levels in the comics so this show/film could be laying the groundwork.

I do like how Marvel plays around with line-ups and this is the kind of thing that fully embraces the shared universe concept.

I think this shows the big difference in the movie wing handling these shows. I think we're probably better thinking of previous shows by the tv wing as being akin to the arrowverse and DC films (but running parallel).

9 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Natalie Portman is really the only big shocker for me. Even Blade was, yeah, that's exciting but somewhat to be expected to turn up in the MCU eventually. And F4 and X-men were always inevitable.

I even thought the scenes with her in endgame were clever edits as i thought things had soured so much. But it was maybe genuine scheduling conflicts or the character not fitting recent films.

I'm interested to see the dynamic with valkyrie-all father Tessa Thompson. Those could be fun. I hope Hemsworth still has a significant role too but otherwise I'm intrigued by the shake-up. I guess it will be the first attempt at extending franchises beyond the initial character and may test the water for cap and iron man down the road.

18 minutes ago, red snow said:

I even thought the scenes with her in endgame were clever edits as i thought things had soured so much. But it was maybe genuine scheduling conflicts or the character not fitting recent films.

I'm interested to see the dynamic with valkyrie-all father Tessa Thompson. Those could be fun. I hope Hemsworth still has a significant role too but otherwise I'm intrigued by the shake-up. I guess it will be the first attempt at extending franchises beyond the initial character and may test the water for cap and iron man down the road.

Imagine if we get Hemsworth playing Donald Blake for most of the movie.

19 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Imagine if we get Hemsworth playing Donald Blake for most of the movie.

That could be pretty funny. I know they've never established Donald Blake at all in the movies but it sounds like the comedy turn Taika and Hemsworth would be up for doing. 

It was Perlmutter. Feige had campaigned to get Patty Jenkins on board for Thor 2 and they were working on the script and story. Perlmutter than started fucking around with the script changes and basically mandated the story for what became The Dark World, which Jenkins thought (and has since been vindicated on) was pretty weak-arse. She wanted to do a grander, more operatic and more Thor-like story about Thor and Jane being separated from one another at Odin's command and Thor having to overcome that when the scale of the Dark Elves' threat became clearer. It sounds like Feige was supporting Jenkins but Perlmutter slammed his foot down and Jenkins walked. That's why they got Taylor, who was only really known for TV, because they were in a rush to replace her. Natalie Portman really liked the original plan and got on well with Jenkins, and was really angry about how Jenkins was handled, so she effectively quit the MCU over the mess and only came back after Perlmutter was removed. That's probably why her performance in The Dark World is more muted than the original: as we know from the Star Wars prequels, if Portman is unhappy with the script and not getting good direction, she can phone in her performance quite badly. When she's on her game, she's great though.

Apparently the shitstorm over The Dark World made Disney realise that Perlmutter was a liability, which was then confirmed when his grandstanding over Civil War (which saw him suggesting they get rid of Iron Man to save money!) saw Disney effectively remove him from any oversight role over the movies altogether and Feige take 100% complete charge of the franchise. Incidentally, this is why they finally got to make more diverse films. Perlmutter, for some reason, is a big fan of Inhumans and thought they'd make a good alternative to X-Men, so he pushed the Inhumans movie onto the slate through some complex bargaining with Feige which saw Feige get Black Panther and Captain Marvel into development (Perlmutter had vehemently opposed both, saying that "black people and women don't make money"). Disney said no, that's bollocks, and demoted Inhumans to a shitty TV show and then buried it. Recall that Perlmutter was also the guy who fired Terrence Howard because he didn't want to give him a relatively modest pay rise (and far less than RDJ's) for Iron Man 2, and when Paramount (at that point) asked if that was a good idea, he said "all black people look the same." Nice fellow.

Perlmutter is still in overall oversight of the comics and the TV shows produced under the ABC division, but the new TV series under Disney+ are under Feige's control alone.

She thor, fuck off.

This is straight from the comics, from a very popular and well-received story arc.

34 minutes ago, Werthead said:

...Inhumans and thought they'd make a good alternative to X-Men, so he pushed the Inhumans movie onto the slate through some complex bargaining with Feige which saw Feige get Black Panther and Captain Marvel into development (Feige had vehemently opposed both, saying that "black people and women don't make money"). Disney said no, that's bollocks, and demoted Inhumans to a shitty TV show and then buried it. Recall that Perlmutter was also the guy who fired Terrence Howard because he didn't want to give him a relatively modest pay rise (and far less than RDJ's) for Iron Man 2, and when Paramount (at that point) asked if that was a good idea, he said "all black people look the same." Nice fellow.

From context I'm assuming this was Perlmutter but always best to explicitly correct it in case someone misses the context. Really sounds like an awful guy from everything I see.

9 minutes ago, karaddin said:

From context I'm assuming this was Perlmutter but always best to explicitly correct it in case someone misses the context. Really sounds like an awful guy from everything I see.

Yeah, good catch.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

It was Perlmutter. Feige had campaigned to get Patty Jenkins on board for Thor 2 and they were working on the script and story. Perlmutter than started fucking around with the script changes and basically mandated the story for what became The Dark World, which Jenkins thought (and has since been vindicated on) was pretty weak-arse. She wanted to do a grander, more operatic and more Thor-like story about Thor and Jane being separated from one another at Odin's command and Thor having to overcome that when the scale of the Dark Elves' threat became clearer. It sounds like Feige was supporting Jenkins but Perlmutter slammed his foot down and Jenkins walked. That's why they got Taylor, who was only really known for TV, because they were in a rush to replace her. Natalie Portman really liked the original plan and got on well with Jenkins, and was really angry about how Jenkins was handled, so she effectively quit the MCU over the mess and only came back after Perlmutter was removed. That's probably why her performance in The Dark World is more muted than the original: as we know from the Star Wars prequels, if Portman is unhappy with the script and not getting good direction, she can phone in her performance quite badly. When she's on her game, she's great though.

Apparently the shitstorm over The Dark World made Disney realise that Perlmutter was a liability, which was then confirmed when his grandstanding over Civil War (which saw him suggesting they get rid of Iron Man to save money!) saw Disney effectively remove him from any oversight role over the movies altogether and Feige take 100% complete charge of the franchise. Incidentally, this is why they finally got to make more diverse films. Perlmutter, for some reason, is a big fan of Inhumans and thought they'd make a good alternative to X-Men, so he pushed the Inhumans movie onto the slate through some complex bargaining with Feige which saw Feige get Black Panther and Captain Marvel into development (Perlmutter had vehemently opposed both, saying that "black people and women don't make money"). Disney said no, that's bollocks, and demoted Inhumans to a shitty TV show and then buried it. Recall that Perlmutter was also the guy who fired Terrence Howard because he didn't want to give him a relatively modest pay rise (and far less than RDJ's) for Iron Man 2, and when Paramount (at that point) asked if that was a good idea, he said "all black people look the same." Nice fellow.

Perlmutter is still in overall oversight of the comics and the TV shows produced under the ABC division, but the new TV series under Disney+ are under Feige's control alone.

This is straight from the comics, from a very popular and well-received story arc.

Did Perlmutter also have oversight of the Netflix shows, or where those separate? Still, it saddens me that Agents of SHIELD will end after next season, and likely there will never be any links to the MCU because of this guy.

6 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Well phooey, looks like what they announced this weekend is the complete phase 4.

That is... underwhelming...

That means no Captain Marvel 2, Black Panther 2, or GotG3 as part of the phase correct?

The cap of each phase has been an Avengers movie.  What are they building up to with this hodge podge of movies?  :dunno: 

21 minutes ago, Rhom said:

That is... underwhelming...

That means no Captain Marvel 2, Black Panther 2, or GotG3 as part of the phase correct?

The cap of each phase has been an Avengers movie.  What are they building up to with this hodge podge of movies?  :dunno: 

I’m actually pretty interested in their movies, seem like a fresh start. 

Nobody is really even talking about the Eternals, I’ve got no idea where they are going with that or how it will tie into anything else.

Im assuming What If is an adaptation of the alternate timeline series of comics by the same name?

1 minute ago, Heartofice said:

I’m actually pretty interested in their movies, seem like a fresh start. 

Nobody is really even talking about the Eternals, I’ve got no idea where they are going with that or how it will tie into anything else.

Im assuming What If is an adaptation of the alternate timeline series of comics by the same name?

But that's a TV show isn't it?

I'm going to be really interested to see how that aspect of things plays out.  I've heard that WandaVision ties directly into Dr. Strange 2; but there's going to be a LOT of people who don't have Disney+ so how much can they really rely on that tie in?

23 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Not correct. They've just announced the films that are directly in production and have a set release date.

21 minutes ago, Rhom said:

But that's a TV show isn't it?

Eternals? Nah, it's a film.

24 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

It's interesting coz they can do so much cosmic stuff with them. Strongly suspect they'll bring in the Celestials 'properly' via this, though the first movie may start smaller (though I'd not be shocked to see the Dreaming Celestial).

Archived