MCUniverse: Phase Four and Beyond(er) **maybe spoilers**

PyroclasticFlow

On 5/4/2019 at 7:50 AM, sifth said:

Not gona lie, I'm not getting the same vibe from the next generation. Maybe they'll surprise me, I heck I hated Strange in his solo movie, but liked him in Infinity Wars, so anything is possible. Just not sure I care enough about these characters enough to go out of my way to see their movies.

Cumberbatch wasn't great in the first Doctor Strange movie (IMO), but I thought he was solid in Infinity War and I know from Sherlock and some of his earlier work that he's capable of some truly riveting performances. I'm not worried about him.

Hemsworth and the entire GOTG crew are charisma machines, and I think will be big parts of any crossover movies; as well as continuing to have own movies.

I don't think Marvel will try another Hulk movie, but Ruffalo is great anytime he pops up in someone else's movie.

The Ant-Man movies have been forgettable, but Rudd is great and I suspect will be in the cross-over movies for a while.

Tom Holland is also really good and, from the latest Far From Home trailer, seems to be getting set-up as a major part of the next phase; becoming, symbolically, the next Iron Man.

That's a pretty good base of characters there. I agree that a lot of the other Marvel actors haven't always been the been the most interesting to watch, but I wonder how many will actually be getting their own movies. A lot of them seem to be getting shipped off to Disney+ mini-series instead; which, maybe will be more connected to the MCU than the current Marvel TV shows have been, but I still think puts them on a decidedly lower tier of importance, especially for any big cross-over movies. 

Also, I don't if/how the casts from The Eternals, The New Mutants, or the current Fox X-Men will work their way into the MCU, but there's a lot of possibilities there as well. The Eternals at least seems like it'll definitely be part of it, and I think Angelina Jolie has been confirmed as the star; who would've definitely be interesting to add into the broader MCU. I suspect The New Mutants is a single, abortive spin-off (and a horror film?) and that Dark Phoenix is the end of the Fox-era X-Men. However, if the multi-verse is truly going to become a thing in the MCU (as suggested by the Spiderman trailer) that would be a way of bringing in any of the Fox X-Men cast that Marvel wants who are willing to sign contracts with Marvel. I'd certainly be cool with Michael Fassbender, James McAvoy, and Jennifer Lawrence showing up.

4 hours ago, Rhom said:

Interesting... so they are going full on multiverse... or at least making us think that.  Mysterio could just be saying all that shit to build himself up as a hero.

Hmmm...

I'm thinking it's a very elaborate con, although it will be interesting to see how he comes up with the bluff. I wonder if the avengers tell the world how the snap was undone? I guess people would demand to know WTF happened for everyone to reappear with 5 years missing.

Maybe they'll surprise us with Mysterio and do something similar to what they did in captain marvel where they used comic knowledge to pull off a twist? Since that film they have me a little more guarded in terms of comic book assumptions.

So much for my skeptical speculation the Spidey film would cop out and be set pre-snap.

I think that, from a marketing standpoint, there is basically no chance that Marvel tease us with a Multiverse and then yoink it. Even if Mysterio does turn out to have been making it up it'll later be revealed to be true anyway.

23 minutes ago, red snow said:

I'm thinking it's a very elaborate con, although it will be interesting to see how he comes up with the bluff. I wonder if the avengers tell the world how the snap was undone? I guess people would demand to know WTF happened for everyone to reappear with 5 years missing.

Maybe they'll surprise us with Mysterio and do something similar to what they did in captain marvel where they used comic knowledge to pull off a twist? Since that film they have me a little more guarded in terms of comic book assumptions.

So much for my skeptical speculation the Spidey film would cop out and be set pre-snap.

To be fair, they've kinda been doing that ever since The Mandarin in IM3.

Great trailer, although I’m a bit confused by the multiverse bit. They just threw the line in but it didn’t seem to answer any particular question. Pretty huge though, I didn’t think they’d go this route but with that one little line, it just became a shit load more likely that that’s how X-Men end up in the MCU.

5 hours ago, Maltaran said:

I like that MJ has seemingly worked out that Peter is Spider-Man. If that’s not a fake scene for the trailer, then it suggests some interesting possibilities.

God, I love the scene in homecoming where Michael Keaton character figures it out in like 10 seconds.

And there's a bunch of characters in the comics who just figure it out cause like she says, it's really obvious.

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

I think that, from a marketing standpoint, there is basically no chance that Marvel tease us with a Multiverse and then yoink it. Even if Mysterio does turn out to have been making it up it'll later be revealed to be true anyway.

I think he can be lying about being from the multiverse and there still be one. We don't know Mysterio is the reason they know about it.

"Captain Marvel is unavailable"...hmmm seems like that excuse is gonna start getting really old.

IF the snap did create a hole in dimensions, then the snap could have created mutants. Either among some people who weren't snapped originally, or among some people who got unsnapped.

There can still be a handful of mutants from pre-snap (e.g. wolverine, magneto, prof X) but the unsnappening can lead to a large increase in the number and diversity of mutants. And the reason we haven't seen mutants in the past is because they are sooooo rare that they can't really organise and become something that anyone other than shadowy govt and private organisations know about and seek to exploit.

MJ being a super brain SHOULD figure out that Peter is Spider-Man when he amazingly shows up in Venice, during their school trip. If she doesn't she doesn't deserve to be on the brainiac squad. 

Flash's disdain for Peter won't allow his brain (which is smaller than Peter and MJ's anyway) to conceive of the notion that Peter is Spidey. Though if he does figure it out it can turn him from a fan of Spidey into an antagonist, which gives us some interesting possibilities for future movies, including being a Mysterio ally.

End game spoilers

Spoiler

I liked that there are scenes with direct call backs to Endgame, and to Peter's father-son relationship to Tony.

At Tony's funeral I wondered who this strange looking young guy was that the camera lingered on briefly but who wasn't part of Endgame at all. I recently read an article that pointed out he's the kid from IM3. I wonder if that's indicating he'll have some larger role to play now that he's a young adult and not a kid. The article also mentioned a Riri William character from the comics who also develops her own version of an Iron Man suit. But there doesn't seem to be any connection with Endgame at all, so she's need to be introduced as part of phase 4. She seems like a possible option instead of Kamala Khan. Though I think the most obvious next female hero is Monica Rambeau. And coming from a military connection she could be a replacement for Black Widow with an option to eventually give her super powers.

8 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Yeah how dare Captain Marvel not hang around on earth all the time.

This.

Heh, I get that we're jaded and painfully aware of plot devices, as we constantly deconstruct this stuff. But of all the plot devices, simply saying Captain Marvel is booked is quite simply thee most airtight and acceptable alibi in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. She is literally thee superhero for numerous other planets. Who cares if Peter Parker has a situation with Mysterio?

49 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

No no, she's off killing alpha white males.

Doesn't that make them beta by definition?

52 minutes ago, Guy Kilmore said:

With Asgard gone, no one is protecting the "9 realms" at the very least.  I could see Captain Marvel suddenly finding herself filling that gap.

Aren't they basically inaccessible without the rainbow bridge? I thought the 9 realms were different dimensions, not just remote places in the universe. 

2 hours ago, Corvinus said:

I don't think everyone here has seen Endgame yet. Please hide some of the stuff you said. Russos gave everyone 2 weeks.

I think that must have been 2 weekends, since they basically said the no-spoilers request ends with this Spider Man trailer. Though they are still a bit sensitive to it with Tom Holland's here there be spoilers intro bit.

10 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Doesn't that make them beta by definition?

Aren't they basically inaccessible without the rainbow bridge? I thought the 9 realms were different dimensions, not just remote places in the universe. 

I haven't seen Thor 2 since, well, since I saw Thor 2 but I think they were just other planets/systems.

Archived