Is Arya naturally right-handed...?

funpig

... or at least ambidextrous?

I know that the actress Maisie Williams is right handed.  And the character Arya sword fights left handed in GOT.

When Arya made her Michael Jordon move on the Night King, it got me thinking. I wondered if Arya is naturally right handed but made a deliberate and clever decision to learn how to wield Needle using her left hand to give her an advantage in a fight. I went out with a girl who was ambidextrous and she made a point of playing racquet sports left-handed because she claimed it messed up her right handed opponents.

Arya is so clever.  From the beginning, she was often mistaken for a boy and then she was forced played one before eventually becoming a master of disguise.  Her last dancing lesson from Syrio (and of course her fight with Brienne) foreshadowed her hand switch on the night king, i.e. make your opponent think you are coming from one direction and then switch a al Rocky 2.

I went back and viewed some old episodes:

1.  In the first season, she does needlepoint with Sansa with her right.

2.  When she shot the arrow to show up Bran, she shot right.

3.  After the butcher boy and Lady were killed, she sits and jabs at the dinner table with a big knife in her right.

4.  Her first kill of the fat boy with needle was with her right.

5.  First kill of a major character, Walden Frey, right.

6.  Most satisfying kill, Peter Baelish, right.

7.  When she is fighting the walkers on the wall with her 2 piece spear, she swings and kills using the spear tip in her right

8.  When Beric was being killed by the walkers, she rushes to help and picks up an axe from the ground in her right.

9. And her most surprising kill, Night King, right.

It may well be that all of this happened because Maisie Williams is a natural righty, but I like to think that the writers were being clever with the character and was purposely putting in clues all along.

Archived