[Beware- SPOILERS] Regarding Jon Snow

Gianna Dorenberg

1 hour ago, vipbrj said:

The only spoiler that has really bugged me is:

Hide contents

Bran being "voted king" at the end.

What claim would he have to the throne? Since when could you VOTE someone to be the King? That just seems absurd.

If it happens I bet we'll all be scratching our heads and saying, "Hopefully it'll make more sense in the books."

On 5/3/2019 at 7:47 AM, Gianna Dorenberg said:

LucyMormont a fellow member just shared this.

https://www.croatiaweek.com/photos-jon-snow-cersei-lannister-filming-for-game-of-thrones-in-dubrovnik/

https://metro.co.uk/2018/02/08/game-thrones-season-8-spoilers-lena-headey-kit-harington-film-tense-stand-off-croatia-7297762/

Apparently, some of us were joking that D&D might have Jon go for a truce with Cersei. Turns out, it might be true. I'm guessing this is gonna happen at the end of the 4th/start of the 5th episode.

Needless to say, I'm even more devastated at the stupidity of this. Thoughts ?

If you insist on posting spoilers please label your thread SHOW SPOILERS or SHOW LEAKS

5 hours ago, vipbrj said:

Hide contents

What claim would he have to the throne? Since when could you VOTE someone to be the King? That just seems absurd.

If there is more than one candidate great council gathers & chooses the king or queen, you could call it VOTE. Tho in this case he shouldn't be a candidate cos of no blood right and they'd have to be idiots to choose a king who can't further his line.

22 minutes ago, Quillon said:

If there is more than one candidate great council gathers & chooses the king or queen, you could call it VOTE. Tho in this case he shouldn't be a candidate cos of no blood right and they'd have to be idiots to choose a king who can't further his line.

Content deleted because I realized I responded to a spoiler. 

On 5/4/2019 at 12:01 AM, Figdoni said:

@longest night
And then does the sun rise in the west and set in the east? And winter ends, because there's been some weird magnetic shift that tilts the planet that houses westeros on its axis. :D

I actually want all these leaks to be true :)

That's a nice idea. I never thought of the north and south poles suddenly inverting as a way around that one.

This  most interests me - Jon 'finally sees Arya' after Jaime and Cersei die.

What does finally sees mean? Is she the waif? I hope she is the skeletor looking freak with the worms in its eyes from book 4.  After the pathetic long night I really need my dark fantasy/fantasy horror needs sated.

Will probably be something lame though.

On 5/6/2019 at 9:28 PM, Sir Hedge of Hog said:

how is any of that bittersweet? 

It will only be bittersweet if all of their sacrifice leaves a better Westeros in its wake, like in the Moses story, the promised land is not for them. As in, the world broke all of their characters so bad that they did not deserve redemption but, in their extinction, the world can flourish. It does kind of make sense, they are all pretty broken characters with not much nice left about them.

Sam and Gilly are nice and they have exited. Tormund was decent, and he has also pulled out with ghost. Davos may be worth saving.

But Dany, Sansa, Arya, Jamie, Tyrion, Bran - even Jon - are all kind of broken beyond repair people now. Westeros may be a better place without any of them. Not to mention Cersie, Euron etc.

8 minutes ago, ummester said:

It will only be bittersweet if all of their sacrifice leaves a better Westeros in its wake, like in the Moses story, the promised land is not for them. As in, the world broke all of their characters so bad that they did not deserve redemption but, in their extinction, the world can flourish. It does kind of make sense, they are all pretty broken characters with not much nice left about them.

Sam and Gilly are nice and they have exited. Tormund was decent, and he has also pulled out with ghost. Davos may be worth saving.

But Dany, Sansa, Arya, Jamie, Tyrion, Bran - even Jon - are all kind of broken beyond repair people now. Westeros may be a better place without any of them. Not to mention Cersie, Euron etc.

Perhaps the best thing for Westeros is for both Jon and Dany to abdicate, then have Drogon fly them to the peaceful beaches of the island of Naath in the Summer Sea so that they can spend the rest of their lives there in paradise where no one will ever find them.

Just make sure to stop and pick up Ghost on the way there this time. :)

1 hour ago, ummester said:

I do think u r right in that these characters are broken beyond repair in lots of ways. Dany or jon sitting on the throne will not break the wheel..they both mirror each other I  so many ways. She may have to take a knife to the heart for her people and I hope ressurected to be with jon. The IT is a curse and source of corruption.

12 hours ago, vipbrj said:

Hide contents

Well in the books .... technically he is the prince of Winterfell and Robb's declared heir before any will. And it is very possible that the brotherhood without banners wins the war in the long term once the Lannisters break due to Aegon's invasion. There are still Lords like the Reeds not involved in the books. There is a very real possibility that it defaults to Bran in the books, simply because he has the best claim on the winning side. After all he is the prince of Winterfell and was crown prince of the king in the north.

27 minutes ago, SirArthur said:

Well in the books .... technically he is the prince of Winterfell and Robb's declared heir before any will. And it is very possible that the brotherhood without banners wins the war in the long term once the Lannisters break due to Aegon's invasion. There are still Lords like the Reeds not involved in the books. There is a very real possibility that it defaults to Bran in the books, simply because he has the best claim on the winning side. After all he is the prince of Winterfell and was crown prince of the king in the north.

Technically, yes. But since Bran cannot father a heir and found a new dynasty, a new game of thrones would start immediately with the winning lords scheming and plotting their heirs to become the successor of Bran.

In the show, Gendry may have a better claim now he's legitimized.

And in show and books: whoever rules Dorne. They lost their ruling family in the show, but not their army. Once the dragons are gone they could conquer easily, and they could make a vague claim on their succession laws easily.

5 hours ago, alienarea said:

But since Bran cannot father a heir and found a new dynasty, a new game of thrones would start immediately with the winning lords scheming and plotting their heirs to become the successor of Bran.

While Bran's chances of fathering an heir are indeed pretty low, it's still not 0%. Many men (though not all, for sure) who are paralyzed from the waist down can still have erections and even ejaculate. Sperm count tends to be a lot lower so it would be a lot more difficult, sure. In the case of no trueborn heir, he could name an heir. Just putting it out there.

19 hours ago, vipbrj said:

Reveal hidden contents

Modern day democracy inserted into a medieval fantasy setting. 
we already began with modern day racial issues with the whole MissWorm meeting two blonde hair, blue eyed racist little girls in Winterfell.

1 hour ago, Nami said:

Yep, though probably what they're actually going for is more of a Plato's Republic than an actual democracy.

9 hours ago, SirArthur said:

True, I think he might be one of the characters most frequently referred to as a prince and a "king's true heir" etc. and it might make sense for a fully-trained greenseer Book!Bran to rule; a boy who overcame trials and adversity, raised to see beyond himself with the help of a wise tree god and selfless friends, using his knowledge to help his people move forward while also keeping a good and just heart.

If Show!Bran becomes Lord of Winterfell (8x4 reminded me of how Bran keeps saying "I'm not Lord of Winterfell" which means he probably will be), or whatever, I think it'd be more of a "book beat" that they're trying to shoehorn. Though I guess Bran still fits the Platonian argument that Varys essentially quoted: "Only those who do not wish for political power can be trusted with it", I don't think all-knowledge made Show!Bran wise or just -- he doesn't even seem to "love knowledge" or use it to exercise good. It's hard to imagine any rule of Show!Bran even coming about organically because he hasn't actually done anything worthwhile. If anything Bran cause more pain and death than anything. :huh:

1 hour ago, weirwoodface said:

While Bran's chances of fathering an heir are indeed pretty low, it's still not 0%. Many men (though not all, for sure) who are paralyzed from the waist down can still have erections and even ejaculate. Sperm count tends to be a lot lower so it would be a lot more difficult, sure. In the case of no trueborn heir, he could name an heir. Just putting it out there.

True, we have a family friend who was paralysed from the waist down and he went on to have a kid naturally. I think the real challenge is 1.) finding a woman willing to deal with someone like Bran (not because he's paralysed but because he's not the most pleasant man to be around) and 2.) while I could believe pre-Ravening!Bran would be "up for it", would the current 3ER!Bran? I mean, how can someone who doesn't want have enough desire to beget his own progeny even if it was to try and have a kid who might inherit his magical abilities.

At this point, i t makes more sense if Bran just identifies kids with the potential to take over from him, adopt them and hand it down to whoever he ends up training as the next 3ER. :dunno:

On 5/9/2019 at 10:19 PM, Quillon said:

Damn the new leak compilation on r/freefolk is... so bad, depressing, sh*t, nothing bittersweet about it, everyone's screwed. I hope they are not true.

23 hours ago, vipbrj said:

Reveal hidden contents

I wouldn't put much trust in any of the most recent spoilers. Althougt at this point and given all the nonsense that happened on screen we can't really rule anything out, truth is that there is some big money at stake, and it's very likely that some betting sites are trying to manipulate the odds and mudding the waters with all these leaks.

31 minutes ago, LucyMormont said:

I wouldn't put much trust in any of the most recent spoilers. Althougt at this point and given all the nonsense that happened on screen we can't really rule anything out, truth is that there is some big money at stake, and it's very likely that some betting sites are trying to manipulate the odds and mudding the waters with all these leaks.

People bet on endings on betting sites?.....

27 minutes ago, Quillon said:

People bet on endings on betting sites?.....

Absolutely. And in the last 10 days, Bran has seen the major shift, in some sites is now first, in others second to Jon Snow; when 3 weeks ago it was almost the last one, So... it would be naive not to think that somebody with an economic interest might be behind these latest leaks. 

https://www.thewrap.com/game-of-thrones-iron-throne-betting-odds-bran-vegas-bets-jon-snow/

6 hours ago, Nami said:

It is not about "modern day democracy". The problem in Westeros is how to stabilize an empire won by conquest.

It would be worth looking into some way of giving the real powers (ie, the noble families) some real influence, so we could somehow lessen the stakes in the game of thrones. A council institution is a place to start. Take a look at the dano-norwegian "Håndfestning" (1449-1660).

1 minute ago, Fjodrik said:

It is not about "modern day democracy". The problem in Westeros is how to stabilize an empire won by conquest.

It would be worth looking into some way of giving the real powers (ie, the noble families) some real influence, so we could somehow lessen the stakes in the game of thrones. A council institution is a place to start. Take a look at the dano-norwegian "Håndfestning" (1449-1660).

Yes that's right. Another model is the Prince-Electors of the Holy Roman Empire. Having seven Lords Paramount each have one vote in choosing an emperor is hardly what most people think of as democracy.

1 hour ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

Yes that's right. Another model is the Prince-Electors of the Holy Roman Empire. Having seven Lords Paramount each have one vote in choosing an emperor is hardly what most people think of as democracy.

Problem is, almost all the Lords Paramount families are quite battered too... They would probably be unable to guarantee peace in their own territories...

I mean:

-Who the hell is ruling Dorne? And who is going to stop the lover of the bastard daughter of his uncle's brother-in-law from killing him and claiming the throne, since apparently that is how things are run in Dorne?

-The Tyrells have been wiped, apparently... Sam is staying in the North, and he wouldn't be able to control anything, so the Tarlys a out too... Maybe the Hightowers could try to seize control?

-Without Dany's support, Gendry would be crushed like a bug by the Stormlords...

-Tyrion is a kinslaying kingslayer who killed Tyrwin, Jamie a kingslaying oathbreaker, and both betrayed the family and sided with Dany... the Western lords will hate them...

-The Tullies are out... I guess the Riverlords could accept Sansa? Anyway, the Riverlands have been thoroughly ravaged... Sansa would need external help, and Jon already has enough in his plate managing the mauled North...

-I doubt Sweetrobin will ever be anything but a puppet... The Valelords will probably fight among themselves to decide who will be his puppetmaster. Sansa could be the one, but I doubt she will be able to manage to control both the Riverlands and the Vale... Somebody will try to wrestle control from her...

-The Iron Islands may be controlled by Yara... or not... The Ironborn aren't the most feminist dudes around...

-Jon or Sansa can rule the North, but I don't think they have the strength to project their power out of the North...

In short, the Lords Paramount barely exist as now...

Archived