varys

No, I don't know how she would've been able to know, unless he read the same diary that Sam did, but why would Varys be reading an old septons diary willy-nilly?

And even if he did, he'd need Brans treevision to confirm it, otherwise it'd just be a hunch. 

Varys knew some things, not others IMO.

1. He knew Rhaegar loved Lyanna and was likely not a rapist. He did after all know the man for a very long time.

2. He possibly knew Rhaegar anulled his marriage to Elia, as well as the primary reason why he did it: his belief that he needed a third child because of the 3 headed dragon prophesy. Rhaegar did not hide his interest in prophesies. Elia could not have more children so Rhaegar needed a new wife.

3. He may have suspected Lyanna’s pregnancy and the legitimacy of the child by simple deduction. The Kingsguard guard the King so had no business at the tower of Joy if there was no king or heir to be born there.

4. However I do not think he ever suspected thta the child was born healthy and alive and Jon was him. Ned and Howland did a good job of concealing where Jon came from and how he got to the North.

I mean, sure, it's possible, given how well informed he generally was about everything concerning the court, at least before he had to flee it, but the show has never given the slightest hint that he knows of any surviving Targaryens other than Dany, and I think it's a little late to be introducing that sort of thing, at least as any king of important plot point and not just a comment about confirmed suspicions after Jon's parentage becomes public knowledge (assuming it ever does).

Ive wondered before what our two greatest secret-peddlers knew about Jon. I’ve no doubt Littlefinger suspected it. He was obsessed with Cat, I’m sure word of her honorable new husband returning from war with a bastard son peeked his curiosity. Varys might have been less interested in the bastard son of the Warden of the north and probably didn’t pay Jon any mind. The dots really aren’t hard to connect though. 

1 hour ago, Euron III Greyjoy said:

In the show Varys seems to be a Targaryen supporter. I imagine if he knew about Jon he wouldn't have let him take the black. 

There is nothing that indicates that. He outright tells Dany she can shove her loyalty if she expects him to give it to her blindly.

24 minutes ago, NonoNono said:

There is nothing that indicates that. He outright tells Dany she can shove her loyalty if she expects him to give it to her blindly.

Yet he as going to put Viserys on the throne. Aerys' successor in every manor. That hardly seems like a good move for the people. Robert wasn't a good King, but in general people where fine. Sure Joffrey was a little shit, but Tommen, if raised properly, could've been a decent King. 

Archived