The Dire Wolves

Petitephlox

What happened to the dire wolves? I know Nymeria is running wild in the forest with her wolf pack. And I “know” where Ghost is, but JEEPERS SHOW. The dire wolves and their bond with the Starks is of such importance in the books and has been completely forgotten in the show. I was so disappointed to see just glimpses of Ghost in episodes 2 and 3- at least show Jon saying something special to Ghost, or putting his arm around him - it seems bizarrely out of character and crappy writing. Or is it because Ghost by this time would have died in the books? :/What happened to the dire wolves? I know Nymeria is running wild in the forest with her wolf pack. And I “know” where Ghost is, but JEEPERS SHOW. The dire wolves and their bond with the Starks is of such importance in the books and has been completely forgotten in the show. I was so disappointed to see just glimpses of Ghost in episodes 2 and 3- at least show Jon saying something special to Ghost, or putting his arm around him - it seems bizarrely out of character and crappy writing. Or is it because Ghost by this time would have died in the books? :/

Honestly, I don't believe they have stressed the importance of the direwolves in the show as much as the books do because it just takes too much time to do so. I guess with the dragons being around so much ghost just took a backseat, although I don't know why... but then again the whole warging idea in the book isn't really put forth much except for bran, but in the books Arya and Jon can warg too....

Do you think we’ll see Nymeria return in the last few episodes? I’ve always thought the Targaryen/dragon bond and Stark/dire wolf bond were such interesting plot points in the books. Ah well, guess you can’t have everything you want on the show! :)

Jon and Arya warging was one of the things that I loved in the books. Arya used the cat to see during her blind phase. Jon and Ghost had a deep connection in the books but the show he seems to forget Ghost is even there. I think D&D said the dragons take too much of the CGI budget that they cut back on the Direwolves.

The original excuse the show had for giving the dire-wolves less time is that their budget didn't cover so much realistic CG fur and the dragons were more visually important. It must have become a trend to leave them out because the budget has increased and still no meaningful dire wolf scenes.

This is my big issue as well. In episode 3 we just suddenly see Ghost, no big deal.

Couldn't we have had a moment between Ghost and Jon ? Where he just spends a minute with him ? Ghost is so special but they're treating him like he's an extra. They have such a great bond, such a shame. I would much rather see Ghost than a dragon at this point.

I absolutely hate the way the show has treated the direwolves, and for Ghost treatment in season 8 there is NO excuse. They put him in 2 scenes, in one he was still, and  I'm sure he was added just in a scene he wasnt' meant to be, and the other scene the moronic cavalry charge at Jorah's side!!! Even if Ghost could not stay at Jon's side because he was riding a dragon, Ghost should have been in the Stark group, or better, they should have filmed  a scene of Jon leaving him with the girls and saying  "stay here and protect the family".  and they should have shown him doing exactly that, maybe even going with Sansa to the crypts.

Even if the writing was 10 (which is NOT) , and every other aspect of the show was 10, I would take down points for the direwolves. Ghost should have been more relevant in seasons 6, and in season 8 we should have seen him all the time along Jon  when he wasn't riding a dragon. As I said many times, I don't buy the budget excuse, they can save $ in other less important things. 

Completely agree! It feels wrong and cheap that we didn’t have a two second scene of Jon saying something to Ghost in the last episode - they are both ready to die in battle to protect Winterfell and the living, and we don’t even get a word from Jon to his soulmate animal? 

I am hoping Arya and the Hound will meet Nymeria on their way to Kings Landing, perhaps near the Riverlands which is where Arya warged Nymeria previously in the books. Anyways they have to travel through Riverlands to get to KL, so it could happen in the forests near there. It would be really epic imo.

Archived