Missandei’s comment - Daenerys

Petitephlox

Hi everyone! I’ve read the books and am watching the show, and I am REALLY hoping the show follows the path that GRRM laid out.

One thing that has been bothering me is the “hatred” of Daenerys that so many people watching the show seem to have, and everyone predicting she will “break bad”. I’m not sure why people think she is evil and only wants to take back the Iron Throne for power. Part of her desire to do so is because she truly believes it was taken from her family, that her family was murdered for power and the Targaryen name dragged through the mud. I mean, if my family were murdered and deposed, I’d likely want to do the same! And everyone on the show (Ned and Jon included) have had to execute people for being traitors, so the Tarly deaths aren’t proof of her craziness. She’s also shown that her heart and intentions are good. 

One thing gives me hope that the show runners aren’t going to just have her “go evil” is when Missandei rightly put Sansa’s snarky comment down about the Dragon Queen and said “Without her we’d all be dead.” Seems like the show is reminding us of all that she has done for her people, right? What do you all think of that?

Sadly, I don’t believe that Dany does end up on the throne - and I highly doubt Jon will, either. I’m thinking Cersei and her blasted Scorpions may take down one or both of the dragons and their riders - I can see Dany losing her mind a little if Jon and Rhaegal are killed, and diving deep into the battle and dying in the process, or I can see her sacrificing herself to save Jon/Rhaegal or her people. “

The lone wolf dies while the pack survives” - is Dany the lone wolf? Jon? Both?

And maybe Dany’s arc was of a Targaryen returning to Westeros and saving the people, and restoring honor to the name? (I know Jon is also a Targaryen, so perhaps he aids in this but he was raised as a Stark, whereas Dany has always lived her life as a Targaryen). 

I feel like Sansa (with Tyrion as her Hand?) will end up leading, if there is an Iron Throne  - or better yet, the kingdoms are free, with Tyrion perhaps in the South, Sansa leading the North, and the other kingdoms led by their own folks. (Not sure this new democracy will fly on the show or just for the books). 

Haters go hate. 

Well in my opinion “Dany resembling her father and going mad” was nothing more than a vehicle used by the script writers to delay Danys confrontation with Cersei. To achieve that they used Tyrion and Varys who tend to worry about innocents especially in Dany’s case a bit too much. Like they haven’t been to war again. Then the political profile of Dany and what will others say and ...bla...bla...

Never been a huge fan of her but I've been firmly in Dany's corner the last few episodes. She has basically sacrificed everything  she has built to help the ungrateful Northerners. Plus the handwringing from Tyrion, Varys and others about her executing the Tarly traitors despite giving them a chance to avoid it has felt a bit forced. Plus her distrust of Tyrion is 100% justifed as literally every single piece of advice he has given her from the moment he joined her has been horrendous, incorrect and has weakened her. If she were smart she would have fired him a long time ago. 

I'll be somewhat annoyed if they go the "Mad Queen" route complete with self-righteous hypocritical tutting from Tyrion, Varys and co who are far from innocent themselves.

After this last episode, I honestly don’t know what to expect from this show.  The only way I could see Daenerys going completely mad is out of grief, betrayal, or despair.  I’m still holding out hope she is pregnant and even if Daenerys and Jon dies.....then their child will survive.  I always thought the series would end with the White Walkers winning The Long Night but now it seems Cersei is the greatest threat to mankind.  Maybe Dr. Frankenstein (Qyburn) has a whole dungeon of White Walkers he has created.  He was way too interested in that cut off wight hand.  

I don’t think Dany is going to die. 

If she was, wouldn’t they have kept Jorah alive so that he could die with her or witness her death? Having a character who has been with her from the beginning would heighten the drama. Even if she died in childbirth, you’d then be tempted to have him around to look after the kid. 

I mean Danny’s lost everyone she has ever loved. If she sits the throne then she will be truly alone.

I agree. I am struck by the amount of material dedicated from earnest fans towards writing the character out of the story as soon as possible or belittling her role in it to a footnote in the Starks tale. It staggers me that people think Jon or Sansa backstabbing Dany is reasonable.

Daenerys ultimate fate seems more and more tied up with her potential pregnancy.
If she's pregnant, I think she'll survive (for at least another 8-9 months).
If she's not pregnant, she will probably die in some lame shock-twist.

As for her going mad or getting so power hungry that Jon has to kill her, I'll quote myself from a different thread:

My main issue with the idea of Daenerys "going mad" or just dying in general (especially if Jon kills her) now without a major payoff in regards to her romance with Jon, regardless if it results in a child, a marriage or something similar, is that it would reduce her entire storyarc to someone who simply's there to flesh out the numbers for the side of the living at the Battle for Winterfell, and then promptly can be thrown at the side. 

What was the point in Jon and Daenerys having a romance in the first place? Was it just to make her come north with her armies?
What was the point of her surviving the battle if she's just gonna get (back)stabbed in the next battle? Drama? Her dying to protect WF would've been a better death (but still lame) than being backstabbed by the people she just saved.

Yeah, the whole Dany is her Dad thing I just don't see happening.

Dany will never sit on the Iron Throne. In the (show version) House of the Undying when she's in the burnt out wreck of the Red Keep (dragon fire or Wildfire?), snow (Jon) is covering the Iron Throne. She reaches for it, but never touches it (because it's not hers, not has it ever been because Jon is the true heir.)

I think they'll tell everyone of Jon's true parentage, with Dany's blessing, because it not only strengthens her family's claim to the Iron Throne, it will also give them the support of the entire North. 

Dany & Jon will marry - (this episode?), uniting their Houses. 

Dany will go the way of Lyanna Stark, dying in childbirth, leaving Jon a brokenhearted single parent, only with a child that doesn't need to grow up protected with the identity of being a bastard. That would fit the "bittersweet ending" George has spoken of.

At least that's my guess.

And Jamie is the Valonqar.

2 minutes ago, Tyrion1991 said:

Also, we haven’t had a major Stark death since Rickon and arguably not since the Red Wedding.

Well..... if they weren't just fucking with us with the Winterfell Crypts trailer, like they were with the the other Everyone's Things Are in The Snow Because They're All Dead trailer, Sansa & Arya's statues are of them now. Jon's is an older man. That would imply Sansa & Arya don't make it out of this alive, and Jon, (and his & Dany's child), are the last surviving Starks. 

4 minutes ago, ShadowKitteh said:

Yeah, the whole Dany is her Dad thing I just don't see happening.

Dany will never sit on the Iron Throne. In the (show version) House of the Undying when she's in the burnt out wreck of the Red Keep (dragon fire or Wildfire?), snow (Jon) is covering the Iron Throne. She reaches for it, but never touches it (because it's not hers, not has it ever been because Jon is the true heir.)

I think they'll tell everyone of Jon's true parentage, with Dany's blessing, because it not only strengthens her family's claim to the Iron Throne, it will also give them the support of the entire North. 

Dany & Jon will marry - (this episode?), uniting their Houses. 

Dany will go the way of Lyanna Stark, dying in childbirth, leaving Jon a brokenhearted single parent, only with a child that doesn't need to grow up protected with the identity of being a bastard. That would fit the "bittersweet ending" George has spoken of.

At least that's my guess.

And Jamie is the Valonqar.

If they did that I wouldn’t consider it bittersweet, it would be depressing. Dany has sacrificed everything to sit on the chair, she’s lost loved one and family. Tens of thousands have willingly sacrificed themselves in her name. If Dany fails in her quest to get the throne then they all died in vain.

Jon hasn’t. His arc was about fighting the Others. In his own words he never cared about the throne. So he’s done what he needed to do. He is at his journeys end. The revelation that he is Rhaegars son doesn’t matter. He’s done nothing to earn the throne and it wouldn’t be an achievement for him to take it by default.

All that would happen is for us the audience to be shown a cruel twist of fate rob her and an undeserving fool on the throne. 

22 minutes ago, Tyrion1991 said:

If they did that I wouldn’t consider it bittersweet, it would be depressing. Dany has sacrificed everything to sit on the chair, she’s lost loved one and family. Tens of thousands have willingly sacrificed themselves in her name. If Dany fails in her quest to get the throne then they all died in vain.

Jon hasn’t. His arc was about fighting the Others. In his own words he never cared about the throne. So he’s done what he needed to do. He is at his journeys end. The revelation that he is Rhaegars son doesn’t matter. He’s done nothing to earn the throne and it wouldn’t be an achievement for him to take it by default.

All that would happen is for us the audience to be shown a cruel twist of fate rob her and an undeserving fool on the throne. 

I disagree. 

Dany wanting to sit the Iron Throne implies she's shallow and narcissistic, and we've already got one of those and that's Cersei.

Dany wants to restore her family to it's rightful place, which is on the Iron Throne. I don't think she will care if it's Jon, because she loves him, and there's no way he won't allow her to rule beside him as his equal partner.

And Jon is anything but a fool, and his arc is about much more than just fighting the Others.

9 minutes ago, ShadowKitteh said:

I disagree. 

Dany wanting to sit the Iron Throne implies she's shallow and narcissistic, and we've already got one of those and that's Cersei.

Dany wants to restore her family to it's rightful place, which is on the Iron Throne. I don't think she will care if it's Jon, because she loves him, and there's no way he won't allow her to rule beside him as his equal partner.

And Jon is anything but a fool, and his arc is about much more than just fighting the Others.

Daenerys once only wanted to go home to the house with the red door.  A part of me likes to think she will see what pursuing the Iron Throne has cost her and reject it.  IIRC....once she was told she was a conqueror and not a ruler.  On the other hand.....maybe she will succumb to power and greed and be no better than Cersei or any of the others.  She said she once wanted to break the wheel.  How is reestablishing the Targaryen dynasty breaking the wheel?

7 minutes ago, TheFirstofHerName said:

Daenerys once only wanted to go home to the house with the red door.  A part of me likes to think she will see what pursuing the Iron Throne has cost her and reject it.  IIRC....once she was told she was a conqueror and not a ruler.  On the other hand.....maybe she will succumb to power and greed and be no better than Cersei or any of the others.  She said she once wanted to break the wheel.  How is reestablishing the Targaryen dynasty breaking the wheel?

You’re right. It’s not. So why would she want it over peace, and the safety/well being of humanity?

I’ve never seen her as an egotistical maniac bent on ruling at all costs like her brother Viserys. She’s always been far more complex than that, which makes her such a great character. 

1 hour ago, ShadowKitteh said:

Dany will go the way of Lyanna Stark, dying in childbirth, leaving Jon a brokenhearted single parent, 

How is Dany going to give birth/die giving birth to a child in 3 remaining episodes if her pregnancy hasn’t even started showing yet? Unless they are planning some sort of flash forward for the final episode, which would be really disappointing to me.

25 minutes ago, a girl knows nothing said:

How is Dany going to give birth/die giving birth to a child in 3 remaining episodes if her pregnancy hasn’t even started showing yet? Unless they are planning some sort of flash forward for the final episode, which would be really disappointing to me.

Because Game of Thrones doesn’t happen in real time like 24, and you’re assuming a 40 week pregnancy.

The earliest a baby has been born and survived is 21 weeks and 5 days. Two premature babies hold the record for this. Surprisingly, the first record holder was born in 1987, a time when the medical care of premature babies (neonatology) was a very new field.Sep 6, 2017

Obviously there’s no neonatal care unit in Westeros.....

1 minute ago, a girl knows nothing said:

Well obviously. But we’re still talking about 8-9 months here. I have not seen them make that kind of time jump episode to episode before. And the next episode appears to start up right after the battle.

See my edited response. ^^

You  also have to remember that Littlefinger is dead so who’s operating his wormhole? :)

It takes a month to get back to Kings Landing per Cersei in the pilot. It’s likely it’s been a month minimum since their Love Boat encounter. That’s nine weeks by the time they get to Kings Landing minimum. Plenty of time for another 3 to 4 months to pass in the next three episodes.

i don’t see a problem, especially with the sheer amount of pregnancy foreshadowing that’s occurred. 

Archived