Missandei’s comment - Daenerys

Petitephlox

2 minutes ago, ShadowKitteh said:

You also have to remember that Littlefinger is dead so who’s operating his wormhole? :)

It takes a month to get back to Kings Landing per Cersei in the pilot. It’s likely it’s been a month minimum since their Love Boat encounter. That’s nine weeks. Plenty of time for another 3 to 4 months to pass in the next three episodes.

i don’t see a problem, especially with the sheer amount of pregnancy foreshadowing that’s occurred. 

It would be pretty funny to see Dany (and perhaps Cersei) getting noticeably more and more pregnant with each episode. Or even within one episode, in between scene cuts.

I don't really know of Daenerys will go mad in the show, but I think there are signs of this possibility both in the books and in GoT.

The thing I didn't like the most about her was her reaction to the Aegon bomb: I get it, she's shocked, but it was really weird that the first think she felt was fear of losing the throne to Jon. She just had the confirmation that her brother Rhaegar wasn't a rapist, that she's not the last Targaryen in the world, and that there is a real possibility (in one way or another) that her House will continue after her and Jon die. But she immediately felt threatened. If her only hope is that the Targaryens retake the throne, she would be happy even if it were Jon to become king. She is a good conqueror, but not necessarily a good ruler... plus, she could marry Aegon and they would reign together.

The impression I got from the show is that she is indeed going mad... But I don't know if that's what D&D intended to be honest.

38 minutes ago, a girl knows nothing said:

It would be pretty funny to see Dany (and perhaps Cersei) getting noticeably more and more pregnant with each episode. Or even within one episode, in between scene cuts.

That would be hilarious, but I have a feeling Cersei is no longer pregnant. I think she lost it, and hasn't had any more periods, hence her emotionally weird reaction when Euron said, "I'm going to put a prince in your belly."

It would tie into Lady Olenna's comment about her being too old to breed.

2 hours ago, ShadowKitteh said:

Well..... if they weren't just fucking with us with the Winterfell Crypts trailer, like they were with the the other Everyone's Things Are in The Snow Because They're All Dead trailer, Sansa & Arya's statues are of them now. Jon's is an older man. That would imply Sansa & Arya don't make it out of this alive, and Jon, (and his & Dany's child), are the last surviving Starks. 

The show's killing off Arya and Sansa would make it easier for me to cancel HBO after GOT ends; and not spend money on GRRM's final two books in the series (if they ever appear).  I don't want either character to die; and I want to see Ned & Catelyn's grandchildren as Starks in Winterfell, not the descendants of Rhaegar and Lyanna.  

2 hours ago, ShadowKitteh said:

Dany will go the way of Lyanna Stark, dying in childbirth, leaving Jon a brokenhearted single parent, only with a child that doesn't need to grow up protected with the identity of being a bastard. That would fit the "bittersweet ending" George has spoken of.

ahh, please no! They can't give Dany that anticlimatic death, she deserves better.

49 minutes ago, LadyOlenna said:

I don't really know of Daenerys will go mad in the show, but I think there are signs of this possibility both in the books and in GoT.

The thing I didn't like the most about her was her reaction to the Aegon bomb: I get it, she's shocked, but it was really weird that the first think she felt was fear of losing the throne to Jon. She just had the confirmation that her brother Rhaegar wasn't a rapist, that she's not the last Targaryen in the world, and that there is a real possibility (in one way or another) that her House will continue after her and Jon die. But she immediately felt threatened. If her only hope is that the Targaryens retake the throne, she would be happy even if it were Jon to become king. She is a good conqueror, but not necessarily a good ruler... plus, she could marry Aegon and they would reign together.

The impression I got from the show is that she is indeed going mad... But I don't know if that's what D&D intended to be honest.

This is how I feel as well.

1 hour ago, LadyOlenna said:

Yeah even as a Daenerys-apologist, I found that weird.
Her writing this season seems slightly off, as she's vocally more obsessed with the IT than ever in a situation where she shouldn't really care about it at all - for the moment at least. (I blame D&D loving their fake-drama. Same reason why Sansa suddenly cares about northern independence when she's shown no prior interest in it).
But then, Daenerys actions betray a whole different opinion, one that is on direct crash course with what's she's saying in the first place.

Case and point: 
She sounds displeased, unconvinced and maybe a bit angry at Jon's reveal, but she looks sad, shocked and maybe a bit elated.
Then during the battle, she firmly back in "Team Jon&Co", and actively save's Jon's life on at least one occasion (when he's about to get swamped by wights after falling off Rhaegal), something that a Daenerys that's obsessed with the IT to the exclusion of everything else wouldn't do. I mean fuck it right, let the wights have him and she's back as the one with the highest claim.

Clearly she still cares about him, and is trying to wrap her head around the whole thing.
Daenerys should as you pointed out, ultimately be happy about Jon Snow being Aegon Targaryen for several reasons, and not angry. Ah well, at least they're seemingly not trying to kill each other in the next episode...

29 minutes ago, LucyMormont said:

ahh, please no! They can't give Dany that anticlimatic death, she deserves better.

I sincerely hope, that if the writers (and GRRM) kill off Dany, she gets a better death than the consequences of childbirth.  Her mother and Jon's mother died due to childbirth complications; it would be redundant and lazy to kill off Dany in the same way.  (not to mention cruel to the fans; let us see Dany get at least a few hours or days rejoicing in the birth of a healthy baby).

30 minutes ago, LadyOlenna said:

I am seeing it the exact same & don't know if its intentional or not... but with each episode I'm growing more convinced she is getting more like Cersei and less like Jon.
She has come a long way from being the Breaker of Chains, the queen who fought to protect the downtrodden, who gave people their freedom along with the choice to follow her if they wanted.
I know those who don't see this, will do an eyeroll that I gotta be another person to bring up the Tarlys... but that was a serious insight into her attitude. At that point, she HAS NOT won back the throne yet... Turning up and saying "I'm queen" isn't enough... And she is still not the recognised queen of Westeros until she defeats the de facto Queen that's sitting on the throne... but in spite of that, she's killing people for treason already? 
That is SOOOOOO far away from the way she treated her would-be subjects over on Essos.
What happened to the Dany that freed people from tyranny and won hearts and minds?
Now she wants bended knee right away, before she's done any freeing them from tyranny.

She seems to have totally forgotten about breaking the wheel... its "her" throne and thats become an obsession.
She didn't really care about the army of the dead, nor gave a hoot about them wiping out everyone in the North... it was "Jon's war, Jon's problem". So much for caring about the people she's supposedly ruling. 

Here's a reminder of the clip, and note how it's all about the throne, all about her sense of entitlement, all about her hate for Cersei.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdUxTXKMILo

If it wasn't for her advisors pretty much snowballing her into going along with the wight capture plan to help Jon, she was not on course to decide that herself, and throughout the scene she was voicing objections... she's totally reluctant.
Tyrion in that scene, I think, was actually managing & manipulating Danaerys... I think he realised that Dany needed to see a wight as much as Cersei did... that neither of them were taking the threat seriously. And whether or not anyone could trust Cersei to help was gonna be irrelevant if he couldn't even convince Dany that the threat was real. He needed that wight to convince both of them!

On the eve of the battle at Winterfell... when its a realistic possibility that Dany, her Dragons and the rest of all humanity will end up killed by the army of the dead... What is it that Dany is dwelling on and getting upset about?
Cersei still on the throne.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ddZautAuAc
And she STILL thinks its Jon's war... called it that to Sansa... I mean WHAT??
There is nothing admirable in that... a queen that doesn't regard protecting 'her' people might be something that might be 'her' war?
It's all about the power now it seems, and not about being a just & caring ruler.
If its not intentional to make her look like she's heading towards mad queen obsession levels, then the writing has really gone downhill, because it's getting very hard to see the 'breaker of chains' in her anymore... it's just full-on "Bendaknee fever"

1 hour ago, ShadowKitteh said:

That would be hilarious, but I have a feeling Cersei is no longer pregnant. I think she lost it, and hasn't had any more periods, hence her emotionally weird reaction when Euron said, "I'm going to put a prince in your belly."

It would tie into Lady Olenna's comment about her being too old to breed.

Yes... Menopause mistaken for a pregnancy would also explain why she's back on the wine.
So if she can't have an heir... and Dany thinks she can't have an heir.... they have become weird parallels.

Unless Dany is pregnant... and doesn't need a long pregnancy coz as mother of dragons, she lays an egg :o 
And they call him Aegon, (nicknamed Egg, like his predecessor) once he hatches? :blink:

Just now, Raksha 2014 said:

I sincerely hope, that if the writers (and GRRM) kill off Dany, she gets a better death than the consequences of childbirth.  Her mother and Jon's mother died due to childbirth complications; it would be redundant and lazy to kill off Dany in the same way.  (not to mention cruel to the fans; let us see Dany get at least a few hours or days rejoicing in the birth of a healthy baby).

I thought so too, but given the increasing amount of theories regarding how Jon will kill Daenerys because of "insert-reason-here", dying in childbirth seems like a great ending for her in comparison. (Which it isn't, it would be a super lame way for her to go.)

Speaking about childbirth, I think we can all agree on the fact that if she ends up pregnant, not only will Jon not kill her, but she will live long enough to at least give birth to the child. (Hopefully longer.)

For me personally, I not only hope but I genuinely believe that she'll end up pregnant. There simply where to many hints, ques and teases from way to many characters last season for it to be a red herring. Especially Jorah's comment to Jon about Longclaw serving "your children after you" seemed to be more than just him being friendly. 
Heck, her non-pregnancy issue doesn't even have to be caused by blood magic in the show, I can see D&D hinting that Daario was simply shooting blanks...

23 minutes ago, Figdoni said:

On the eve of the battle at Winterfell... when its a realistic possibility that Dany, her Dragons and the rest of all humanity will end up killed by the army of the dead... What is it that Dany is dwelling on and getting upset about?

This technically isn't true. This scene happened right after Jamie's "hearing" when she learned that Cersei had tricked her. For all of her obsession with the IT this season, for once it made sense for her to think about it in this particular scene, and I'd actually been surprised if she hadn't yelled at Tyrion for letting himself be duped by Cersei - yet again.

What she actually tried to do on the eve of battle was to get some alone-time with Jon, who had been avoiding her the entire day, first after the hearing and then after the battle-plan-meeting, until she finally caught him in the crypts. 

There is nothing admirable in that... a queen that doesn't regard protecting 'her' people might be something that might be 'her' war?
It's all about the power now it seems, and not about being a just & caring ruler.
If its not intentional to make her look like she's heading towards mad queen obsession levels, then the writing has really gone downhill, because it's getting very hard to see the 'breaker of chains' in her anymore... it's just full-on "Bendaknee fever"

Well, it was Jon's war. Daenerys focus was on dethroning Cersei and making herself queen (officially).
I have no issues with her saying that in the manner that she did, and seemingly neither did Sansa(!), quite the opposite.

Remember that she didn't come to Westeros to fight the AotD on Jon's behalf, but ultimately that's exactly what she ended up doing.
Again, this ties back with the point I made earlier in this thread: Daenerys saying one thing and doing another. 
For all her obsessive talk about the Iron Throne, she ultimately ignored it - her lifelong goal -  for the greater good of the realm, (or at least, for the sake of her new love interest.)

That's not mad queen tendencies - that'd be saying "good" when hearing of the wall breaking - that's savior-tendencies.
When push comes to shove, despite everything, Daenerys seemingly has no issues with ignoring the IT.

I'd like to add somehing that's a bit OT, but please note that I'm not a Dany hater, I just like to understand the story as much as possible.

I'm in a facebook group where we reread and comment ASOIAF, and the person who founded the group is a literature researcher. Not only has she studied  ASOIAF for over 18 years, but she had the possibility to talk through every single aspect of it with academics from various disciplines. She explained to me that even if Jon had never been born, Daenerys never had a claim to the iron throne. When Robert rebelled and took the throne, he was allowed to do so because he killed every Targaryen, and the ones who survived fled to Essos. That means that they exiled themselves, renouncing de facto to any claim to the throne. Of course, Viserys and Daenerys could try to conquer the throne like Robert did, but just as conquerors, and not because they had the right to inherit it. On the other hand we have Jon, who never left Westeros, nor he bent the knee to Robert. In a way, Robert was never truly king of the Seven Kingdoms. We know Jon has a better claim than Dany, but even if Dany (or Viserys) were before Jon in the line of inheritance, Jon would still be the only one to have a claim.

i just find her character annoying.  the thing is without the dragons she wouldnt have gotten has far as she has. she has threaten sansa twice. jon didnt seem to really care.  when she told sam that his dad and brother were killed it was pretty cold. she shouldnt have told him at all or lied. she wont be a villian but she still has a lot to learn.

1 hour ago, MinscS2 said:

This technically isn't true. This scene happened right after Jamie's "hearing" when she learned that Cersei had tricked her. For all of her obsession with the IT this season, for once it made sense for her to think about it in this particular scene, and I'd actually been surprised if she hadn't yelled at Tyrion.

What she actually tried to do on the eve of battle was to get some alone-time with Jon, who had been avoiding her the entire day, first after the hearing and then after the battle-plan-meeting, until she finally caught him in the crypts. 

I understand her yelling at Tyrion... but I'm surprised, to say the least, that her rage is about Cersei being on the throne, and her thoughts are dwelling on her future battle to get Cersei off the throne, as opposed to the battle that is imminent, and the much more pressing matter that they don't have the extra armies they were promised for that battle. She's not primarily focused on 'jon's war' even though it should be, by far, the most pressing thing on her mind at that point.
And as for wanting alone time with Jon... Sure, but we don't know what for... she's in love with him... doesn't make the reaction re Cersei look less incongruous to the situation for me.

Well, it was Jon's war. Daenerys focus was on dethroning Cersei and making herself queen (officially).
I have no issues with her saying that in the manner that she did, neither did Sansa(!).

Remember that she didn't come to Westeros to fight the AotD on Jon's behalf, but ultimately that's exactly what she ended up doing.
Again, this ties back with the point I made earlier in this thread: Daenerys saying one thing and doing another. 
For all her obsessive talk about the IT, she ultimately ignored - her lifelong goal -  it for the greater good of the realm.

Simply put, if she really takes seriously her role as their queen, then it is not Jon's war... its her war. They're supposed to be her people, on the front line of a war that will wipe them out. 
Unless she's regarding Jon as King of the North (which she doesn't), then she cannot be fighting on his behalf. To fight on someone's else's behalf means its ultimately their responsibility, their problem, not yours... but you're just helping out.
By thus calling it Jon's war, she is abdicating her responsibilities to all those Northern houses...  she's talking about it like its a favour to Jon, rather than being her job as queen to protect them. (And maybe that's why Sansa got triggered??!!:o)

The greater good of the realm - That surely oughta be her main job?
This should not be something she does on behalf of someone else, treated like a sideshow delay on the real focus of seizing kings landing. That's not being a good queen, that's being power hungry for the sake of power, to put the greater good of the realm lower down on her priorities than winning Kings Landing and the throne.

Its an attitude that is out of whack with her early characterisation.

That's not mad queen tendencies (that'd be saying "good" when hearing of the wall breaking), that's savior-tendencies.
When push comes to shove, despite everything, Daenerys seemingly has no issues with ignoring the IT.

I'm not saying she is AT peak mad queen levels... but I cannot ignore that she's on a trajectory that is headed away from the benevolent people-orientated ruler, towards the 'MY throne" obsession that Cersei has.
Her father didn't start off mad, but became increasingly distrustful and power crazed as he went on... Barristan Selmy recalled to Danaerys how Aerys set towns and castles aflame, murdered sons in front of their fathers, and burned men alive with wildfire... 
Is that within Dany's capability?
I think so, but she has kept it (mostly) in check, with help from her advisors.

But don't forget, her words in this clip... promising to burn cities to the ground... which, if it's not quite 'mad queen', it's certainly not 'reasonable queen' to burn a whole city...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dcEdLr1wv0

Edited to add....
I imagine if Cersei said "I will burn cities to the ground", no-one would have trouble believing that she would & take the threat seriously. Yet when Dany says it, she gets a pass. Why? She has repeatedly mentioned going to Kings Landing with a dragon to just burn it and Cersei & win her throne in one swift move, and has had to be reminded, more than once, that burning or laying waste to Kings Landing might not be a good move as far as coming across less tyrannical than the rulers that came before her. The fact that this needs pointing out to her at all is concerning.

58 minutes ago, MinscS2 said:

I thought so too, but given the increasing amount of theories regarding how Jon will kill Daenerys because of "insert-reason-here", dying in childbirth seems like a great ending for her in comparison. (Which it isn't, it would be a super lame way for her to go.)

Speaking about childbirth, I think we can all agree on the fact that if she ends up pregnant, not only will Jon not kill her, but she will live long enough to at least give birth to the child. (Hopefully longer.)

For me personally, I not only hope but I genuinely believe that she'll end up pregnant. There simply where to many hints, ques and teases from way to many characters last season for it to be a red herring. Especially Jorah's comment to Jon about Longclaw serving "your children after you" seemed to be more than just him being friendly. 
Heck, her non-pregnancy issue doesn't even have to be caused by blood magic in the show, I can see D&D hinting that Daario was simply shooting blanks...

One problem that just occurred to me:  if Jon and Dany produce a child, that kid will be the product of heavy Targaryen inbreeding; since Daenerys is the daughter of Aerys x Rhaella and Jon is their grandson.  That means that the genes that produced Aerys get recycled in the child of Jon x Dany.  Let's hope that if a child is born alive and physically well, the Seven are kind.

14 minutes ago, Raksha 2014 said:

One problem that just occurred to me:  if Jon and Dany produce a child, that kid will be the product of heavy Targaryen inbreeding; since Daenerys is the daughter of Aerys x Rhaella and Jon is their grandson.  That means that the genes that produced Aerys get recycled in the child of Jon x Dany.  Let's hope that if a child is born alive and physically well, the Seven are kind.

You're overthinking it.

Rhaegar was the product of heavy inbreeding as well, much heavier than what Jon and Daenerys potential child will be (because that child will at least get a fresh infusion of Stark-genes), and he turned out a pretty cool guy.

Not only does Planetos have different seasons than we do, genetics also seemingly works differently there. 
The Targaryens has practiced heavy inbreeding for hundreds of years with only the odd case of madness as noticeable side effect.
In the real world, Daenerys would've had three eyes, a chin that reached her knees, and thirteen fingers, assuming that Rhaella had been able to give birth to any children at all, but in the world of Planetos, she's quite the looker.

At the end of the day, this is a fictitious world with it's own rules, including magic occurrences. 

Edit: And Cersei is living proof that you don't have to be born out of incest in order to be mad as a hatter. 

I too am somewhat at a loss with how to view Dany. I certainly don’t think she is a villainous character, but she is certainly not the pure, good hearted savior she once aspired to be. At times she is portrayed as very volatile. Her moods and tempers come on quickly and strongly, and this can come across as a predisposition for Targaryen “madness.” Although I don’t foresee her turning out like Viserys or her father, perhaps her temperamental personality with its faint trace of instability is meant to give us pause and make us wonder. She wouldn’t be as interesting a character otherwise.

3 hours ago, Figdoni said:

I am seeing it the exact same & don't know if its intentional or not... but with each episode I'm growing more convinced she is getting more like Cersei and less like Jon.
She has come a long way from being the Breaker of Chains, the queen who fought to protect the downtrodden, who gave people their freedom along with the choice to follow her if they wanted.
I know those who don't see this, will do an eyeroll that I gotta be another person to bring up the Tarlys... but that was a serious insight into her attitude. At that point, she HAS NOT won back the throne yet... Turning up and saying "I'm queen" isn't enough... And she is still not the recognised queen of Westeros until she defeats the de facto Queen that's sitting on the throne... but in spite of that, she's killing people for treason already? 
That is SOOOOOO far away from the way she treated her would-be subjects over on Essos.
What happened to the Dany that freed people from tyranny and won hearts and minds?
Now she wants bended knee right away, before she's done any freeing them from tyranny.

She seems to have totally forgotten about breaking the wheel... its "her" throne and thats become an obsession.
She didn't really care about the army of the dead, nor gave a hoot about them wiping out everyone in the North... it was "Jon's war, Jon's problem". So much for caring about the people she's supposedly ruling. 

Here's a reminder of the clip, and note how it's all about the throne, all about her sense of entitlement, all about her hate for Cersei.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdUxTXKMILo

If it wasn't for her advisors pretty much snowballing her into going along with the wight capture plan to help Jon, she was not on course to decide that herself, and throughout the scene she was voicing objections... she's totally reluctant.
Tyrion in that scene, I think, was actually managing & manipulating Danaerys... I think he realised that Dany needed to see a wight as much as Cersei did... that neither of them were taking the threat seriously. And whether or not anyone could trust Cersei to help was gonna be irrelevant if he couldn't even convince Dany that the threat was real. He needed that wight to convince both of them!

I don't see any madness in Dany. I just see frustration, especially in the scene you linked, specifically regarding Cersei's lies about sending the Lannister army, which they so desperately needed. I think she's allowed to vent.

In fact, she's so frustrated, it takes Sansa to make her focus that she made the very same mistake of trusting Cersei as Tyrion did, and she doesn't deserve a pass just because she's not Cersei's sibling and Tyrion is.

And as far as, "Jon's war", she only says that to frame her argument in her conversation with Sansa regarding, "who manipulated who."

"Jon's war"

Daenerys does care about the people of Westeros and feels responsible for them. 

It comes up a lot that Dany is being selfish and power hungry in wanting the throne. This ignores the recurring them that Dany has many chances to have a fulfilling life and sacrifices all of it in her quest to get the throne. She could have lived the rest of her days as Drogo’s Khaleesi and bore his children.

She pushed for the throne out of a genuine sense of honour and obligation. Her family, in her mind, was usurped by evil men who now rule over the her people who she was sworn to defend. She is not doing this for her own benefit. Yes the show runners have played into her being powerful and use a lot of that imagery for the sake of drama; but that’s not her core motivation. At her core she’s still that lonely little girl looking longingly across the sea in her first chapter.

Archived