Arya in the Series Title

No doubt this notion has been discussed around this forum over the years, but given recent events: Grammatically the subject of ASOIAF title is the word "Song."  Arya's name (aria) = song, or more specifically and poetically, a long accompanied operatic song for a solo voice. In this sense her story could be interpreted as resolved, that is, as a song of ice. As a song of fire, she is harder to interpret... further action still to come?

3 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

It's pronounced ar-ya, not ar-ee-ah. 

true, but there is Martin's thing of changing up one letter in a common word. Not to belabour this (as I belabour it) I just find it hard to think the name was not chosen meaningfully.

9 minutes ago, Euron III Greyjoy said:

All I know is that if Arya is the one to kill Cersei, I'm changing the title of this show from "Game of Thrones" to "Arya and Friends". 

"Arya-vederci"

8 hours ago, Oldgodsnewtricks said:

No doubt this notion has been discussed around this forum over the years, but given recent events: Grammatically the subject of ASOIAF title is the word "Song."  Arya's name (aria) = song, or more specifically and poetically, a long accompanied operatic song for a solo voice. In this sense her story could be interpreted as resolved, that is, as a song of ice. As a song of fire, she is harder to interpret... further action still to come?

You know that's a really interesting perspective. I've never thought of it like that but it makes total sense--in more ways than one

7 hours ago, Oldgodsnewtricks said:

true, but there is Martin's thing of changing up one letter in a common word. Not to belabour this (as I belabour it) I just find it hard to think the name was not chosen meaningfully.

"Arya-vederci"

It was chosen meaningfully but GRRM wanted Arya’s name to sound sharp like a knife.  This is what he says about how to pronounce character names.

That's an interesting interpretation. I believe it has more to do with a common way for a pirate to give a positive acknowledgement to a question, as in the common pirate-ese "Arrrrr, yeah!"

So we should watch out for a quick Euron and Arya romance! Surely you'll agree with me, so say "Euron to something, Argonath!"

I'm glad I've finally cracked the case after 20 years of complex analysis of GRRM's foreshadowing.

I've also solved another mystery. If we look at her sister's name, Sansa, we see that it clearly means Sans-A, as in without the A. Daenerys realized this, of course, as we saw when she pulled her hand away from Sansa's. She realizes that her true name, Denerys, simply refers to "Dinner Is Served." Which all traces back to Arya's Frey Pies. So Sansa was threatening Daenerys with assassination. 

Am I onto something, you reckon? Or do I mean Rickon?!

14 hours ago, anjulibai said:

Hmmm... I'm not a native speaker and I don't see the difference in pronunciation between the two. I'm Italian though (Aria is an Italian word) and I watch the series in English. In the TV show Arya is pronounced exactly like the Italian "aria" (though the "r" sound differs a bit, because of the British pronunciation).

That said, Idon't know if I subscribe to the theory, I think that in the books it will all go differently (well, there's no NK in the books, and either Jon or Dany - in my opinion - are Azor Ahai reborn/TPTWP), but of course Arya could have some important role in ending the long night.

5 hours ago, LadyOlenna said:

don't know if I subscribe to the theory

Don't know how much I do either really... the last book will put all to rest, someday gods willing. Obviously one can only read so much into characters' names, but the allusion in Arya's to the titular "song" is worth thinking about. And I feel like Martin's explanation of how it should be pronounced simply adds nuance to this - he references the word aria, but he doesn't want it to evoke the world of the opera house; but rather, the sound of a stabbing knife. That's the song.

22 hours ago, anjulibai said:

And "Aegon" is pronounced how the English would read it, "Egg-On" not how the Greeks would read it, "Ee-Jon" and yet they still called him "Jon".

Martin isn't a linguist.

3 hours ago, Damon_Tor said:

And "Aegon" is pronounced how the English would read it, "Egg-On" not how the Greeks would read it, "Ee-Jon" and yet they still called him "Jon".

Martin isn't a linguist.

Jon Snow is named after Jon Arryn.....

2 hours ago, anjulibai said:

Jon Snow is named after Jon Arryn.....

And Arya is named after another Arya Stark from generations ago. The reason Ned Stark gave them those names is different from the reason GRRM gave them those names.

On 5/4/2019 at 8:55 AM, Euron III Greyjoy said:

All I know is that if Arya is the one to kill Cersei, I'm changing the title of this show from "Game of Thrones" to "Arya and Friends". 

I think Jamie is gonna kill Cersei. Arya is probably gonna kill Qyburn, and anyone else she can.

Archived