A Time for Wolves

GRRM changed the title of his seventh book from "A Time for Wolves" to a "A Dream of Spring". So what implications, if any, do people think this might have on the End Game? Is this story primarily about the Starks and not the Targaryens? Will House Targaryen survive? 

Honestly it is kind of hard to make conclusions based off of the title changing.  Either he changed it because "A Time for Wolves" no longer fit his vision, or because he realized that "A Dream of Spring" sounds better.  If the former then the Stark line is probably not as important as he originally planned.  But if the latter then the Stark line is probably the most important family.

I have thought for a while that many of the Starks we know will only "survive" inside their direwolves (a concept made vivid by the Varamyr Sixskins prologue of aDwD.) Their human bodies may die somehow but the character lives on inside their wolves, potentially within a "Long Night" version of Westeros.

I think either title could fit this situation.

GRRM probably changed the title to avoid spoiling too much... he knows there are MANY fanatics dissecting every scrap of information (or used to be... I feel like the books fanatics are more quite now...), and he doesn't want to take risks.

I don't think we'll ever get to read the book "A Dream of Spring", but I wonder... will D&D remove the ten years long winter that was supposed to happen, or will they keep it? Did killing the Night King influence the seasons?

I think he changed it because he realized the story grew so insanely large that the Starks have become a fairly small part overall, and that there just wasn’t enough justification for the title. 

The Starks are only really relevant insofar as they represent humanity against the Others.  

Out of the five characters he’s said are critical to the story, only 3 are Starks. Jon, Arya, and Bran. Jon is actually a Targaryen, Arya is an assassin who gave up her name, and Bran is basically a sentient tree. 

2 hours ago, Daemon The Black Dragon said:

I remember hearing the same thing.

On 5/7/2019 at 9:32 PM, dbunting said:

I am pretty sure he said that he changed the title because A Time for Wolves gave away too much?

I do too.

A Time for Wolves is when the Long Night begins. The Starks of Winterfell were the heroes of the first Long Night and they are likely to become powerful players and reunite in time to be the heroes of the second Long Night. They are the centerpiece of the whole story

In the real world and in the series, the hour of the wolf is also the time of night that happens shortly before dawn where it gets the darkest. Also in the series: guess what do they call the very last days of the the first Dance of the Dragons? The hour of the wolf. Why? The Starks and their northern banners took over the Seven Kingdoms and, ruling for less than a week, managed to cleaned up the giant mess left in the wake of Rhaenyra, Aegon and their supporters. Notably, the first Dance also took place in the wintertime.

Spring didn't come until after the new king (a young boy at the end of the Dance) became a man.

I think A Dream of Spring is a better title though.

On 5/4/2019 at 3:18 PM, DisneyDoc2425 said:

GRRM changed the title of his seventh book from "A Time for Wolves" to a "A Dream of Spring". So what implications, if any, do people think this might have on the End Game? Is this story primarily about the Starks and not the Targaryens? Will House Targaryen survive? 

The show was quick in killing Rickon Stark off, Its never been stated that this will happen in the books, even if he is a wild child like his direwolf Shaggydog. His time on Skagos and his storyline will be interesting. I'm not sure if he'll survive but i hope he does to continue the Stark line.

Aryas Warging ability with Nymeria, and Nymeria having a huge pack on mini wolves, if these get used in battle that would be an epic fight. I always imaginged this would be how she'd destroy house Frey (just my own theory).

On 5/7/2019 at 9:18 PM, Chris is my name said:

I have thought for a while that many of the Starks we know will only "survive" inside their direwolves (a concept made vivid by the Varamyr Sixskins prologue of aDwD.) Their human bodies may die somehow but the character lives on inside their wolves, potentially within a "Long Night" version of Westeros.

I'm not sure how they'll get Jons sole out of ghost and back into his own body, but if they even do, I have a dreadful feeling they will kill Ghost to do so, making way for the dragon to be woken.   

8 hours ago, Flightless bird said:

Aryas Warging ability with Nymeria, and Nymeria having a huge pack on mini wolves, if these get used in battle that would be an epic fight. I always imaginged this would be how she'd destroy house Frey (just my own theory).

Did Arya ever warg Nymeria in the books? I don't remember it at all, only the cat while blind and having "wolf dreams". Warging is much more than wolf dreams though, it's takes a conscience decision and effort to do this.

12 hours ago, dbunting said:

Did Arya ever warg Nymeria in the books? I don't remember it at all, only the cat while blind and having "wolf dreams". Warging is much more than wolf dreams though, it's takes a conscience decision and effort to do this.

She warged/dreamed Nymeria when she dragged a dead Catelyn out of the river.. and Arya knew, when she'd woke up that her mother was defiantly dead 

Archived