GRRM on Successors

Westeros

In his most recent Not a Blog entry, GRRM ran over various items of note—including Fire and Blood in getting back into the NYT bestseller list, the successful release of Starport (and the possibility that follow-ups may indeed be a possibility, which we noted  in our review of the graphic novel), and even a touch of politics at the end—but for the Game of Thrones fans what must have turned out was his update on the status of various Game of Thrones successor shows.

Click for full-sized image

read on >>>

View the full article

Having read fire and blood, I am trying to figure out what sections to do. Conquest is an obvious choice but Dance of the Dragons would be very intriguing and with dragon battles very cinematic. I also thought of a prequel showing Valyria before doom could be interesting 

On 5/5/2019 at 3:24 PM, Lady Rhodes said:

Having read fire and blood, I am trying to figure out what sections to do. Conquest is an obvious choice but Dance of the Dragons would be very intriguing and with dragon battles very cinematic. I also thought of a prequel showing Valyria before doom could be interesting 

I second the motion for the Dance of Dragons and the Valyria prequel

Lots of magic and pseudo-science in the Valyria prequel.

On 5/5/2019 at 9:24 PM, Lady Rhodes said:

I think Conquest wouldn't be a very good idea. There would be a complete lack of tension because Aegon has dragons and no one else does. And we all know how its going to end too.

A dance of Dragon or Blackfyre prequel wouldn't have this problem. In the dance both sides have dragons and in the Blackfyre rebellion nobody does. Unlike Aegon's conquest the average show watcher and perhaps even some book readers don't know the full story yet.

I also think the Targaryen trio would be a bit too dominant. Most Westerosi kings are obviously lesser figures. Daemon Blackfire and the two pretenders don't have that problem as they are surrounded by a more solid lineup of characters. Bittersteel, Bloodraven, Breakspear and Mhaegar for Daemon and lord Fleebottom, Benjicot Blackwood, Cregan Stark and the Dragonseeds for the dancers. 

Also your links stopped working, Westeros

5 hours ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

I second the motion for the Dance of Dragons and the Valyria prequel

Lots of magic and pseudo-science in the Valyria prequel.

I have had my fingers crossed for a successor show on the Dance from the beginning... But I never even considered Valyria to be a possibility. This would be the most fascinating topic for a prequel hands down. But I have my doubts, it might be GRRM will want Valyria to remain a mystery forever - a decision I can also respect. Leave something for the imagination.

Well, the blog post says there are three projected shows and for one of them the pilot has been ordered. That one GRRM isn't supposed to call The Long Night. He has also stated somewhere that the new show will be set in the distant past, with no Targaryens and no dragons.

I still want a Dunk and Egg series.

I'm relaly not all that exited about the Long Night, it's so far in the past that it has basically nothing to do with the Song of Ice and Fire, except being set in the same world and might show stuff that I, personally, would be more happy if it remains the stuff of myths and legends.
Plus another show with several season set in front of a dreary, wintry background.....blergh.... :rolleyes:

Also 8000 years in the past? That pretty much means we should be watching cavemen, or at the most a Bronze Age culture (didn't the Andals bring Iron to Westeros?)

I remember that mockup trailer for a GoT show set in modern times, On principle I find that a pretty good idea, especially considering what the costuming department might do with that. But I'm also really NOT a fan of TV series that show a lot of drug and narcotic consummation on screen, and you can bet a modern day AU of GoT would show a lot of that crap.

I'de like a Fire and Blood anthology series. Each season focusing on one king or conflict , then we can get the conquest , dance , Blackfyre within one series. 

Would also love something set in the far east. Like Game of thrones Yi-Ti edition . The LN will apparently include " mysteries of the east " , so I'm optimistic we will see Asshai. 

On 5/8/2019 at 12:52 AM, Aderyn said:

I have had my fingers crossed for a successor show on the Dance from the beginning... But I never even considered Valyria to be a possibility. This would be the most fascinating topic for a prequel hands down. But I have my doubts, it might be GRRM will want Valyria to remain a mystery forever - a decision I can also respect. Leave something for the imagination.

Will Martin write episodes for any Valyria series? I get what you mean, but GRRM's imagination is a country mile ahead of mine when it comes to ASOIAF, so to that end I'd prefer to see his come to life than rely on my dusty old brain to conure up something... 

Either way, I'm excited to watch more ASOIAF shows. My copy of Fire and Blood should be here soon as well!

On 5/9/2019 at 1:02 PM, Orphalesion said:

I still want a Dunk and Egg series.

Same here. The Dunk & Egg stories would make for good viewing on screen IMO. Call it "A Knight of The Seven Kingdoms" like the name of the illustrated collection. 3 seasons, one for each novella. 6 episodes per season. Doesn't have the epic scope of Game of Thrones but I can still see it being popular. Has just the right balance of mystery, humour and pathos with some interesting characters. Plus it's only set 90 years before GoT so not too far in the distant past.

Of course, there are other planned Dunk & Egg novellas from GRRM but it's questionable whether they will see the light of day. All the better if they are.

On 5/21/2019 at 5:55 AM, Ser Kafka said:

I really don't know why he's so unwilling to give a quantitative update to his progress. Something like, "I've written x-amount of pages/chapters". It's the least he could do to be honest. He's bringing these rumours upon himself otherwise. 

Saying "it's done when it's done" is somewhat childish and undermining to those of us who've been waiting eight years, and to those who have been with him from the start. I find it quite galling frankly. 

He did that repeatedly and continuously through the writing of both AFFC and ADWD and got shat on and criticised for it continuously, so decided not to do it with TWoW and has stuck to that pledge. The one time he decided to provide an update, he got a ton of criticism for it again, so that was it.

He's also said that the page count updates could be misleading, because he'd finish and lock a chapter and send it off to be edited and update the page count, and then six months later he'd be writing a new chapter and realise he had to go back and rewrite several previous chapters because of new developments. This turned into a particular problem when he had to rewrite all of Jon's chapters (including several "completed" ones) and then the Meereenese Knot turned into a total nightmare.

When he did his post-ADWD analysis he showed that he actually ended up with fewer finished pages a year after AFFC came out than he had before, because he'd been writing and editing and had chucked out a lot of completed material because he'd decided to go in a new direction.

George's writing process is simply too complex to be quantified in that fashion, with a neat progress bar like Sanderson does.

Archived