What We Do In The Shadows (Movie and TV Series Spoilers): The DARKEST of comedies!

Trebla

As you can tell from my av and quote, I LOVED the movie. I am a huge fan of black comedies and this one was absolutely that. But it was also very witty and surprisingly heartwarming. The bickering was hysterical (vampires don't put down TOWELS!/ BATFIGHT!) but there was a sweetness in how they took care of each other. And adorable how much the vamps loved Stu. So when I heard that a TV series adaptation was being made I was really excited, especially since the movie's creators would also be the showrunners. I hoped they would be able to bring to the series what made the movie so great.I'd say they have. So far the series has been a treasure that has kept the spirit of the movie while expanding in new and interesting ways. My two favorite characters in the series are two things that were not in the movie: a female vampire main character and the "energy" vampire. If there was a small complaint in the movie, it was all the main vampires were males. They did lampshade this with Deacon's familiar Jackie and how badly he treated her.  But in the show I love Nadja the most of the 3 main vampires.I love her accent and her verbal tic of saying "bloody" when she is annoyed, which given who she lives with is often. Both of her story lines have been funny: Gregor-Jeff and"Jennelf"the LARPers. Nadja's reaction to Jenna telling her she was a virgin might be my favorite thing in the whole series.  

The second thing is the addition of the energy vampire, Colin Robinson. I wondered initially if his whole bit would get stale fast. So far, he's arguably been the star of the series. His entire premise has been hilarious because most of us have probably dealt with a person like that who drains you with their boring ramblings. Or some of us have BEEN that person.  His stalking co-workers and mass-feeding on a captured audience at the city council have been hysterical. As was the introduction of the advanced energy vampire, the emotional vampire Evie. Their duel and then partnership were tremendous.

Colin Robinson has also been interesting because they have slowly built up the mythology of the energy vampire. The show established right away that he is a daywalker and that he doesn't kill his victims, just drains them. He also can drain other vampires as he does with Nadja and later Nandor ( I call that my morning cup of coffee!).  It's later established that like normal vampires, he has to be invited in. He also appears to be as strong as other vampires. In the animal control episode, he was ready to go toe-to-toe with Nandor who has been established as the strongest of the 3 main vamps. I think we still need to find out a few more things about him, though. Is he immortal? How can he be killed? And how was he turned?

The other main characters have also been very good. Laszlo is a pompous ass with amusing habits like maintaining his vulva garden and owning a cursed witch skin hat. His and Nadja's familiars also seem to be the Spinal Tap drummers of the show. Guillermo is such an adorkable butt-monkey who even though he feeds people to the vampires, you feel bad for him. Nandor at first seemed to be a one trick pony which is just mean to Guillermo. I think he has become more interesting as the show has gone. 

The series as a whole has been great. I don't think there has been a bad episode so far. My favorite ones, though, have been the city council one, the werewolf duel, and the most recent one, the Baron's Night Out. That was probably the best one, with the vampire "shots", projectile vomiting across the sky, and drug fueled hi-jinx after feeding on ravers.

This show BETTER get a second season. The ratings have been meh but I hope FX has patience with it. The reviews have been stellar, though, so lets cross our fingers. (vampire hiss)

2 minutes ago, Triskele said:

I also wondered if the energy vampire would get old but not so far.  And I think that one of the reasons it works beyond the actor's great handling of it is that the writing is also strong...like the unbearably mundane things they have him talking about....

Agree. I was kinda iffy about him also, but their disgusted reactions to him always makes me laugh(along with his expertise of mundane small talk you mentioned). His office episode with the other emotion vamp was actually funny as hell. Most of us unfortunately know coworkers just like them. 

Nadja doing her version of the Jim Halpert camera looks cracks me up too. Their outfits, the atmosphere, poor Guillermo... it’s all been great so far.

I love the movie (and just saw it recently) too. I think Taika Watiti (sp?) is really funny and a gifted filmmaker. Thor Ragnarok was the best of the Marvel movies in my opinion. I can watch it again and again. 

I've only seen the first episode of the TV show (all the rest needed to be purchased, I guess?)--but it felt like a rehash of the movie. I plan to watch it if the series comes out without me having to buy it, but in the mean time, I wasn't a hundred percent on board.

21 hours ago, Triskele said:

As long as we're also talking about the film...

As many things that make me laugh as there are in that film I think my favorite might be "I pray that you never face the beast..." especially once one learns what it's all about.  

"Hello, beast."

Hello, arsehole"

"Don't call me arsehole!"

"Don't call ME beast!"

:rofl:

One of my other favorite bits from the movie was Deacon being a Nazi vampire and explaining why being a Nazi or a vampire after WW2 (which the Nazis lost, if you didn't know) was bad enough, but being both?

"And if you were a Nazi vampire? NO WAY!" :lmao:

Speaking of the original vampires, Jermaine Clement and Taika Waititi have supposedly said that some of the vampires from the movie MIGHT make an appearance in the show. The two showrunners previously mentioned played Vladislav and Viago and the actress who played Deacon's familiar-turned-vampire Jackie has directed the last two episodes. So it's very possible one or more could make an appearance. Next weeks episode might be the one because...

Spoiler

A vampire council puts the Staten Island vamps on trial "for their crimes" which are no doubt the death of the Baron. 

Wow...I thought we would get one of the vampires from the movie, but all three?? I practically squeed when I recognized the three of them during the dance. It was great to see them all again.

And holy shit, the guest stars! Dave Bautista was the big vamp that was framed for turning the baby. Also, the joke was that every single member of the council (save Colin Robinson)l played a vamp elsewhere. The ones I knew were: Wesley Snipes=Blade, Danny Trejo=From Dusk Til Dawn, Paul Reubens= Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Evan Rachel Wood= True Blood. Not sure where Tilda Swinton played one. I think the ones they mentioned not being able to attend were: Kiefer= Kiefer Sutherland from The Lost Boys and Rob=Robert Pattinson from Twilight.

Lastly, Laszlo is quite the menace. On top of the previously mentioned baby turning, his hat caused the potato famine AND he was Jack the Ripper!:stunned:

This show has lived up to all expectations.  Watched the first two episodes with my parents this weekend while they were visiting and even they thought it was great.

6 hours ago, Trebla said:

Not sure where Tilda Swinton played one. 

Only Lovers Left Alive, alongside Tom Hiddleston.

Loved the movie, was a little underwhelmed by the pilot but it has gotten really good.

One of my favorite movies, and now one of my favorite shows. I'm a couple of episodes behind, but will probably catch up this weekend. The energy vampire idea is brilliant, though I was hoping it would be played figuratively rather than literally. Then again, it's worked well as is.

On 5/8/2019 at 11:11 PM, Trebla said:

Wow...I thought we would get one of the vampires from the movie, but all three?? I practically squeed when I recognized the three of them during the dance. It was great to see them all again.

And holy shit, the guest stars! Dave Bautista was the big vamp that was framed for turning the baby. Also, the joke was that every single member of the council (save Colin Robinson)l played a vamp elsewhere. The ones I knew were: Wesley Snipes=Blade, Danny Trejo=From Dusk Til Dawn, Paul Reubens= Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Evan Rachel Wood= True Blood. Not sure where Tilda Swinton played one. I think the ones they mentioned not being able to attend were: Kiefer= Kiefer Sutherland from The Lost Boys and Rob=Robert Pattinson from Twilight.

Lastly, Laszlo is quite the menace. On top of the previously mentioned baby turning, his hat caused the potato famine AND he was Jack the Ripper!:stunned:

And Tom and Brad from Interview with the Vampire. 

Man, throughout the entire episode last night, I kept going "wait, is that (insert famous actor)?". Tilda Swinton came out of no where for me.

I think Colin Robinson is by far the standout of this show, but my god do I love Nadjia. She is such a nice contrast to the swaggering braggart that is Laszlo, or the eternally relenting Nandor.

I think that the best joke from the last episode, outside of all the guest stars, was the baby joke, and the follow up references, including the baby being on the council.

Yup, that was great. Some of the best cameos ever. I loved how they used their real names, and Deacon doing his sexy dance a few times. 

Is Only Lovers Left Alive good? I’ve been meaning to watch it for years.

11 hours ago, Nictarion said:

And Tom and Brad from Interview with the Vampire. 

Yep, that was funny. And according to io9 Brad Pitt was interested in appearing. 

I remember Kiefer Sutherland passed. Brad, we talked to his people and they were very open to it, but by then we were so full up with vampires, we never really followed up. Which is kind of rude of us, and maybe a mistake. But that’s saved something for season 2. And Tom, I don’t even think we tried. It was one of those things where we went out to a lot of people, and once we got the people that we had, we were very happy with it. There were a few people who did want to do it, and then scheduling-wise it just didn’t work out. I can’t remember if [Pattinson] was one of them. I do remember Alexander Skarsgård was really very open to doing it, but he was in Australia at the time. We almost sent someone to Australia to try to shoot him, but the schedule didn’t work out. As it is, I wish we had more time with each one of those, so if we got more, it would have been even less time for everyone. But we’re open for anyone for season 2!

5 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

Yup, that was great. Some of the best cameos ever. I loved how they used their real names, and Deacon doing his sexy dance a few times. 

Watching it a second time, I saw Deacon doing his erotic dance and belly laughed. He was in the zone! :lmao:

Archived