[Spoilers] Episode 804 Discussion

3 minutes ago, SamuelVimes said:

So true. I think Dany's getting the Aegon-the-Mad treatment now, especially with the focus on her anger at the very end. I suspect Varys means to have  Dany kill Cersei, but do so by killing the common folk; and then have Jon seize the throne as the people's champion. 

Never mind that there's still a, you know, hereditary monarchy, which is what leads to all these problems in the first place. 

Daenerys has to die for this to happen and Varys is planning for that, which is why Tyrion was begging him at the end of their conversation. I suppose Varys is back to trying to kill Daenerys as he tried all those years ago when she was a baby.

I was bothered by the argument that a marriage won't work because she'd be too strong-willed a woman.

4 minutes ago, AndréaV said:

She is and I don't know if I like what they are doing to her character here. I didn't want a "mad queen" ending to her.... Sad

They're showing her completely justifiable rage rising in her until it explodes. She's angry, not crazy. Who would not be?

Just now, SamuelVimes said:

So... uh... why doesn't Dany just fly up BEHIND the Iron Fleet after the ambush and smoke them to hell? She's on a dragon - it's mobile in a way those boat-mounted scorpions aren't. 

Otherwise I liked the episode a lot, but there just seems to be an inefficient use of Dany's primary military advantage.

I asked the same question when she was doing the power dive at Euron's fleet. Why not just continue on, loop back, and toast the entire fleet? I'm guessing the rationale is that she wasn't in her right mind, as they seem to be heading down the road of the Mad Queen story line.

3 minutes ago, Trebla said:

Yeah I'm not sure that is saying what you think it is. He's going back to her and...?

He knows what Dany plans for her and I think he'd rather have her die quickly at his hand than slowly in dungeons. I'll happily eat crow if he isn't the one to kill her. Maybe Arya will get her like the green eyes theory goes. 

I will pray to that, but I honestly doubt it.

As for Arya, I mean, why not. Littlefinger, Frey, Night King, Cersei... Luckily Tyrion and Sansa got to Tywin and Ramsay first.

I mean, even Rowling left some villains to be killed by someone other than Harry :D

10 minutes ago, divica said:

I kind of agree. I think now he lacks friends… They should have had him bonding with some people coming south.

For me it's almost a more elemental thing...just like direwolves are "of the north", I feel like the same goes for Jon (even though he is a Targ too, he is just SO like Ned in a lot of ways).  I just really, really hope he doesn't die down there. 

1 minute ago, Ser Sinister said:

I asked the same question when she was doing the power dive at Euron's fleet. Why not just continue on, loop back, and toast the entire fleet? I'm guessing the rationale is that she wasn't in her right mind, as they seem to be heading down the road of the Mad Queen story line.

Or maybe afraid to lose her last dragon.  To use him when the way is clear to torch everyone?  Smart. 

5 minutes ago, nara said:

He changed his mind after hearing of the ambush at sea. He knows he’s the one to kill Cersei and will probably die in the process. he doesn’t want Brienne to mourn him 

He isn't a turncoat. He's trying to cushion Brienne by presenting her with a white lie that he hopes will spare her the worst of the anguish sure to come.

1 minute ago, divica said:

that scene isn t suposed to make sense.

Come on, euron just shots giant arrows at all danny's ships… like seriously? 

I can just picture the Iron Born on Pyk thinking, damn I just built you a whole fleet and you lost it the first time out of port

Just now, divica said:

that scene isn t suposed to make sense.

Come on, euron just shots giant arrows at all danny's ships… like seriously? 

I guess it's supposed to seem like the invention of cannons that you can take on ships (except, you know, NOT CANNONS BUT BIG ARROWS I guess Westeros needs Essos to invent gunpowder stat), changing the entire face of maritime warfare and seeming like someone shoulda thought of that 200 years / 20 episodes ago. 

27 minutes ago, bloodsteel bitterraven said:

This was a much better episode than the last one.  But I really don't like what they're doing with Dany.

Please tell me this is a misdirection. I understand her losing herself a little to grief and rage with the loss of Rhaegal and Missandei - but not caring if innocents die? And then Varys with his “welp time to get rid of her and move on.” I REALLY hope this is not the path we’re on because it cheapens her entire story. 

And JON SAY SOMETHING TO GHOST! 

Missandei saying “Dracarys.” Yes - (just not where the townsfolk are gathered please, just take out Euron and Cersei and Qyburn, etc.)!

5 minutes ago, theladyinspring said:

I suppose Varys is back to trying to kill Daenerys as he tried all those years ago when she was a baby.

I was bothered by the argument that a marriage won't work because she'd be too strong-willed a woman.

If, as in the books, Varys is motivated by a concern for the common people, Dany's not where he ought to be placing his bets, at this point. 

The whole marriage-won't-work bit seemed to me, as I think you're suggesting, kind of a deus ex machina explanation as to why we can't possibly have that super easy solution to this Big New Three-Episode-Arc Problem That Has To Be Really Difficult To Solve. 

3 minutes ago, CrypticWeirwood said:

He isn't a turncoat. He's trying to cushion Brienne by presenting her with a white lie that he hopes will spare her the worst of the anguish sure to come.

I considered that possibility too but he is probably thinking that Cersei is the mother of his child plus he must be concerned about Tyrion too.