[Spoilers] Episode 804 Discussion

Just now, Cas Stark said:

Jesus please, not another deus ex machina surprise army showing up in the last moment.  It is handy that even though we saw ALL of the Dothraki riders die, now only half are dead. LOL.

We know something unexpected will appear to scare/stop euron and his super fleet. At the moment danny and jon simply can t fight euron's ships… And I hope it isn t just yara because last ep euron destroyed a fleet with the scorpions within seconds.

I still think that Cersei has significant amounts of Wildfire. 
The question is where. 
The Red Keep seems suicidal, but she is mad.
She may burn the citizens of KL rather than be taken.    
Daeny's victories in Essos involved infiltration and guile, they may go to that well again. 
There has been lots of set-up about Tyrion and Varys and the secrets of the keep.  
It may not come to a frontal attack.  Cersei's advantage seem too overwhelming for that. 

30 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Jesus please, not another deus ex machina surprise army showing up in the last moment.  It is handy that even though we saw ALL of the Dothraki riders die, now only half are dead. LOL.

Hey!  It worked for the "Battle of...FIVE ARMIES?!?!?!"  And, since many seem to want to compare what's going on now with Tolkien's "Scouring of the Shire", why couldn't it work here, too?:P

On 5/7/2019 at 12:38 AM, darksellsword said:

Why didn't they just have the hound saying I heard Little finger married you off to Boltons bastard you should've left kingslanding with me when you had the chance. It would have been consistent with the hounds character and not randomly vile but I think it is as you said D&D just wanted to shock everyone and make them feel uncomfortable again.

:agree: Thank you. And Sansa's answer sounded like she had to stay and endure a school of life from Ramsay and LF to mature. If she had left KL with the Hound and made it through a war-torn country alive and unharmed, she wouldn't be little bird anymore just the same.

On 5/5/2019 at 9:02 PM, DanyDayne said:

I was against the whole mad Queen angle but now I embrace it. Dany better burn them all! Missandei didn't deserve that. And Rhaegal. This is too much. This will break her. 

Do you think by breaking she will then be pushed to become the Mad Queen they are trying to make her out to be? 

4 hours ago, Imp Beyond the Wall said:

I still think that Cersei has significant amounts of Wildfire. 
The question is where. 
The Red Keep seems suicidal, but she is mad.
She may burn the citizens of KL rather than be taken.    
Daeny's victories in Essos involved infiltration and guile, they may go to that well again. 
There has been lots of set-up about Tyrion and Varys and the secrets of the keep.  
It may not come to a frontal attack.  Cersei's advantage seem too overwhelming for that. 

The wildfire is literally everywhere. The Mad King had it burrowed all around Kings Landing because he was so paranoid. It could be anywhere. She could set off a horrible domino reaction...I have to wonder if this will come up when Dany tries to take Kings Landing without killing everyone and accidentally ends up killing them all anyways.

On 5/6/2019 at 12:07 PM, House Cambodia said:

Cercei was looking VERY uncomfortable, wondering if Tyrion was going to blurt out the identity of the father. I WISH HE HAD!!!

That's what I said. Cersei is lucky that Euron is the stupid one. Also, do you think Euron would actually care if the baby wasn't his as long as it was being passed off as his and was able to rule....

On 5/6/2019 at 12:24 AM, Figdoni said:

Totally. Instead of looking at him and thinking he is someone to emulate or be inspired by, she's instead asking him to be less like that, and shed his principles.... (to make her look better, really.)

She only made Gendry a Lord to win his permanent loyalty. It was a political move that Sansa caught & gave a helluva look at her over. He was on team Stark... She switched him to hers. It was cunning, I'll give her that... (Littlefinger would be impressed)

Some part of me had a moment thinking "Ooooh, what if her next move is to announce that she's legitimising Jon Snow to Lord Stark, in front of everyone?".. coz that would have been a hell of an awkward and crafty move with it still being mostly secret. 
It'd then be down to Bran, Sam or Jon to pipe up... and Jon might've said nothing. Bran's probably too busy staring into the fire to hear & not sure where Sam was at that point. Prob reading books with Gilly :) .... ;)

It also makes me sad that in the beginning of the series, she yearned for family. I feel like if she was presented with a family member she would have cherished this person. Now she only see's competition. That's a bummer.

On 5/5/2019 at 9:28 PM, azor_ahaiii said:

FUCKING TWILIGHT DID THE GIANT WOLVES LIKE A DECADE AGO DONT GIVE ME THAT SHIT

If Jon and Ghost ever reunite I hope Ghost just completely ignore him. That's why he's called Ghost. He ghost's him right the fuck out.

I know right?! The official word is that it was too difficult with the CGI? I mean, come on guys, just say that you eff'd that right up and I would be more understanding....

On 5/5/2019 at 9:44 PM, Ricarprs said:

Robert Baratheon himself won it by war. The Targaryens won it by war.

All these discussions about who’s got a better claim are adjudicated in the book as in real life by wars or assasinations.

As to wether which one has a better claim, Jon or Dany- same rules apply. Except that Jon is willing to bend the knee, Dany not so much. I really don’t get the “she deserves it, she’s a strong woman” argument. She chooses power over love, Jon chooses love over power. She chooses hiding the truth, he chooses disclosing the truth. She knows the people are more drawn to him, but no matter because, you know, she REALLY wants the throne. So Jon, if you really love me, give up the throne, bend the knee and lie for me.

And so I move on to the “mad queen argument”. I have been rewatching the series from the beginning and you can see her tendency to destroy those who cross her from season 2. She burns the magi, she locks one of her maidens with Hotharis in a vault, but we root for her because she is the underdog, and those people had it coming. But then she starts burning her enemies, always “bad guys” until the Tarlys. These were honorable men. But they would not bend the knee. She REALLY hates it when people don’t bend the knee from way back.

As the crowning moment of irony in this episode, she is quite willing to liberate King’s Landing folk by carbonizing them. Those of you who know history will remember the Vietnam era’s famous joke- we had to burn the village to save it. 

She is not “going mad”, she has since season 2 been willing to torch those who will not bend the knee

And lets not forget that her own father planted the wildfire all around KL, so wouldn't it be something if she ended up burning them all anyways? Won't bend the knee? Burn them all and I'll bring in all of the ex slaves from Slavers Bay oops Dragons Bay and make a new Kings Landing. Then she will ride off into the sunset.

On 5/6/2019 at 1:01 PM, Red Dragon10 said:

I thought the look from Qyburn was definitely him confirming to Euron that it was true...but it wouldn't be surprising at all if he were lying, since it benefits Cersei for Euron to be devoted to her. 

Qyburn is a bit of a pirate himself. Could be he's got an agreement on the side with Euron.  Insurance.  All that wine Cersei drinks offers multiple opportunities for pharmacological manipulation.

7 hours ago, divica said:

We know something unexpected will appear to scare/stop euron and his super fleet. At the moment danny and jon simply can t fight euron's ships… And I hope it isn t just yara because last ep euron destroyed a fleet with the scorpions within seconds.

@SQUIRE - The Iron Bank has invested heavily in House of Black and White Submarine Technology LLC.

Edited by Old Rusty Coin

2 hours ago, LadyBlackwater said:

That's what I said. Cersei is lucky that Euron is the stupid one. Also, do you think Euron would actually care if the baby wasn't his as long as it was being passed off as his and was able to rule....

Cersei would never allow Euron to have the sort of mutually cynical relationship she and Robert Baratheon had.

4 hours ago, LadyBlackwater said:

I think we're going to find out next episode. I foresee a confrontation between Jamie and Euron over the paternity.

I found it VERY interesting how asoiaf Reddit group has sort of turned into a support group for sad fans.... Whereas the Game of Thrones group is full of people praising the show. Such contrast.

Don't get me wrong, I am one of those sad fans.

Edited by DirePenguin
typo

6 minutes ago, DirePenguin said:

I found it VERY interesting how asoiaf Reddit group has sort of turned into a support group for sad fans.... Whereas the Game of Thrones group is full of people praising the show. Such contrast.

Don't get me wrong, I am one of those sad fans.

It's entirely reasonable that if you've read the books, the show is a crushing disappointment. If you don't read but love 2D characters and special effects at the expense of a plot, you'll love the show.