[Spoilers] Episode 804 Discussion

1 hour ago, Kyrion said:

I'm wondering why Varys doesn't just send people through the secret passages of the Red Keep, something Tyrion very well knows of since he used it himself.

Send Greyworm in there and kill Cersei, or send a group of people and just kill the principles, the Kingsguard and Cersei at night when everyone is sleeping. Easy as that. 

I expect we're going to see something very like that next episode - it's telegraphed in the opening credits.

1 hour ago, MinscS2 said:

All hail our new Deus Ex Ballista overlords.
Who needs dragons anyway when you can simply spam ranged weaponry that seemingly penetrates both dragons and solid wooden ships with ease?

To put another slant on it, is this the first military-technological breakthrough since Iron was discovered 8000 years ago, or to put it another way, the first in any mediaeval-based fantasy world by any fantasy author ever?

42 minutes ago, House Cambodia said:

Odd that we've not seen any two-eyed ravens for a while - this series? Yet news of Rhaegal's demise got North and South faster than the speed of sound.

I think the big twist at the end is it was all an advert for a cell phone carrier. I'd signup their coverage is impressive.

6 hours ago, House Cambodia said:

I think that's exactly what he meant. The point of the discussion was the Hound saying he could have spared Sansa all the trauma that happened to her and she retorting that the traumas made her the strong person she is now. But THE WAY the Hound articulated his point was dreadful yes, but entirely in keeping with his character who is no master of communication and certainly not with females.

Sandor:  I would never have raped you.
Sansa: I believe you. (places her hand on his)

The rest was fluff.  We don't disagree about the meaning, but I think the writing was weak and undermined the moment, that's all.  The hound is not eloquent but he has a soul (again).  I am not a D&D basher, far from it, but,  I do think this is one scene where they could have done better.

She can still tell the joke about feeding Ramsey to the hounds.  She can still tell Sandor that her journey made her strong, but the words"broken in rough" never needed to be said.  IMO.. 

I had a thought, Perhaps this has been brought up before.  If SHOW Beric Donderion's purpose was the save Arya so she could kill the Night King, is it possible that BOOK Donderion saves unCat Stoneheart so that she can either kill or help kill the Night King?

If anyone could approach unnoticed among the wights and WWs Stoneheart could.   It would be fitting if she were the one to save Bran. 

18 hours ago, darksellsword said:

Did anyone else notice how Sansa walked over to the hound after he rejected that girl and said "she could have given you some happiness" was that a throwback to how Sandor while tryin to provoke Arya into killing him told her he should've fucked Sansa bloody and  at least he'd have one happy memory ?.

I also wondered what the meaning of this scene was. Whether this scene was a tool so that Sansa could deliver her line: "She could have made you happy for a while" with the background that you described. Or even more, did she watch Sandor reject this girl's advances with some kind of satisfaction?? but can sansan still live?

8 minutes ago, Expatriate said:

I also wondered what the meaning of this scene was. Whether this scene was a tool so that Sansa could deliver her line: "She could have made you happy for a while" with the background that you described. Or even more, did she watch Sandor reject this girl's advances with some kind of satisfaction?? but can sansan still live?

It felt like they were half assing any desired outcome from that. I think they were tryin to acknowledge how much Sansa has changed aswell as paying some fanservice to Sansan yes. I think it would've been far more gutsy of them to have Sansa seduce the hound knowing one of his dying wishes was allegedly to bed her, Why not have her minipulate the hound into finally paying his brother back for what he did to him knowing that without the Mountain, Cersei would be more vulernable. It would have been a perfect way to show how Sansa has tied everything she has learned together.

11 minutes ago, darksellsword said:

It felt like they were half assing any desired outcome from that. I think they were tryin to acknowledge how much Sansa has changed aswell as paying some fanservice to Sansan yes. I think it would've been far more gutsy of them to have Sansa seduce the hound knowing one of his dying wishes was allegedly to bed her, Why not have her minipulate the hound into finally paying his brother back for what he did to him knowing that without the Mountain, Cersei would be more vulernable. It would have been a perfect way to show how Sansa has tied everything she has learned together.

LOL.  #1, Sandor doesn't need to be manipulated in order to kill the Mountain.  #2, Sandor was trying to get Arya to kill him by saying the worst things he could think of (raping Sansa).  

3 minutes ago, House Cambodia said:

Tell me you're joking in the guise of the Hound. Please!

:D I'm not joking at all it would've made perfect sense. I wish they hadn't done that Ramsay Bolton stuff with Sansa that didn't serve the characters development at all. They could've had Sansa arriving to aid Jon in the battle of the bastards with the knights of the vale without any of that. I have a feeling the marriage to Ramsay was a Dumb&Dumber invention. I believe in the books it will be Sansa by herself that finds out the truth about LittleFinger and it will be her that kills him. I hate how D8D seem to be feeding Arya all the kills from everyone elses story arc.

#1 Sandor is like 40 years old at least and the Mountain burned his face as a child, he is taking his sweet time getting round to confronting the Mountain, it would make sense that Sansa would try and guarantee the Hound confronts the Mountain when she needs him to  #2 I know that, see my original post on the topic, it was still a tell as they say, it showed the Hound did have a strong attraction to Sansa something she would have suspected and something Arya may have picked up on aswell.

4 minutes ago, darksellsword said:

:D I'm not joking at all it would've made perfect sense. I wish they hadn't done that Ramsay Bolton stuff with Sansa that didn't serve the characters development at all. They could've had Sansa arriving to aid Jon in the battle of the bastards with the knights of the vale without any of that. I have a feeling the marriage to Ramsay was a Dumb&Dumber invention. I believe in the books it will be Sansa by herself that finds out the truth about LittleFinger and it will be her that kills him. I hate how D8D seem to be feeding Arya all the kills from everyone elses story arc.

The only way they could make the Ramsay Sansa material more distasteful would be to have her run around seducing people like the Hound as if she didn’t experience any sexual trauma. 

1 minute ago, Forlong the Fat said:

The only way they could make the Ramsay Sansa material more distasteful would be to have her run around seducing people like the Hound as if she didn’t experience any sexual trauma. 

That's why I said the Ramsay stuff was a mistake, it damaged her character development, it would be distasteful on tv now to have her seducing characters like the hound I agree that is why they didn't do it.

There is no doubt they jumped the shark in this episode (and previously too).  Not only did they have a take-out coffee sitting around doing nothing, they had terribly abused women praise her abuse as being good for her.  ONLY MEN WOULD WRITE SOMETHING THAT HORRIBLY STUPID AND WRONG.

As for just how they jumped All the Sharks, this is a good read (more and more former admirers are coming out like this -- though why in hell they ever thought this was the bees knees and cats pajamas of writing and acting in the first place plenty of us will never understand):

https://www.vulture.com/2019/05/game-of-thrones-season-8-episode-4-memes.html

Sansa sits down with the Hound. They have the following horrifying conversation, the sort of singularly insane, backward dialogue that could only have been written by a man and approved by Amanda Peet’s husband:

The Hound: “Heard you were broken in. Heard you were broken in rough.”

Sansa: “And he got what he deserved. I gave it to him.”

The Hound: “How?”

Sansa: “Hounds.”

The Hound [chuckling]: “You’ve changed, Little Bird. None of it would have happened if you left King’s Landing with me. No Littlefinger, no Ramsay none of it.”

Sansa: “Without Littlefinger and Ramsay and the rest, I would have stayed a Little Bird all my life.”

Let’s unpack this briefly, shall we? Sansa is comforting the Hound, not vice versa — because he feels bad for not saving her from 1 million rapes — and expressing the idea that these 1 million rapes … made her who she is today? That she would not be a Strong Female Character without them? Meanwhile, she is the only person who does not get a Shiva Fuck Plot?

27 minutes ago, Zorral said:

There is no doubt they jumped the shark in this episode (and previously too).  Not only did they have a take-out coffee sitting around doing nothing, they had terribly abused women praise her abuse as being good for her.  ONLY MEN WOULD WRITE SOMETHING THAT HORRIBLY STUPID AND WRONG.

I don't know why so many people think that acknowledging that you've changed as a person, due to the adversity you've faced, and that you don't necessarily want to return to the person you were before that adversity (Sansa doesn't want to be a foolish, naive little bird) is the same thing as being "happy" that the awful thing happened.  It's not.  People are more nuanced than that.  I had a really tragic thing happen in my life, and I would never wish it on anyone or say "I'm glad that happened".  It makes me sad every day.  At the same time, I also don't want to be the person I was before it happened.  :dunno:

Maybe it should have been worded better, but some things that people lose their mind over just don't make sense to me.

Does anyone know if Dany's old Essos lover that she left behind somehow connected to Golden Company?  I'm wondering if Dany has an ace up her sleeve that she's not told anyone, and knows she won't have to take the city by force because GC is actually loyal to her...

13 minutes ago, olibar said:

Does anyone know if Dany's old Essos lover that she left behind somehow connected to Golden Company?  I'm wondering if Dany has an ace up her sleeve that she's not told anyone, and knows she won't have to take the city by force because GC is actually loyal to her...

Jorah served in the Golden Company before "pledging" himself to Viserys.

We've seen or heard nothing about Daario being part of the Golden Company in any way, shape or form. 

It is not inconceivable that someone has reached out to Daario or that news has reached to the Second Sons.  
I am hoping that Dorne shows up and that someone rallies the Riverlands. 
We used to get hints the Howland Reed and the Crannogmen would eventually show up but that hasn't happened. 
I honestly don't see how a frontal assault on KL could possibly succeed without many more troops.