[Poll] How would you rate episode 804?

How would you rate episode 804?   

382 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best?

1 minute ago, dannyk65 said:

She's been an absolute deadpan robot with little to no emotion for years...

Podrick is one of the original cast members.  Are you on the edge of your seat to see what happens to him?

He is a minor character.  As GRRM has said before, the story is about the "children".  Primarily the Targ children, the Stark children and the Lannister children.

That's who to care about because that's who the story is about.

1 minute ago, Ser Gareth said:

He is a minor character.  As GRRM has said before, the story is about the "children".  Primarily the Targ children, the Stark children and the Lannister children.

That's who to care about because that's who the story is about.

A reasonable and interesting point.

5 hours ago, Forlong the Fat said:

I suspect that he’s going back to save her but will find her doing something so terrible he has to kill her. He’s conflicted but he’s grown enough to not go along with her killing a bunch of innocent people. 

Maybe not save her, but to give her a less painful death than Dragon fire?

2 hours ago, Elayis said:

Of course Missendei's final wish is for Dany to burn thousands of innocent people for revenge.

I didn’t get the impression that Missendei wants  KL to be set on fire. I saw it as a rallying cry (vs. begging for mercy). One last shout out of her loyalty to Dany.

18 minutes ago, valgrel said:

- : Too many teleportations once again, dragons unable to fly high enough to spot an ennemy fleet,  went out like a bitch, but I can't find the will to care about any of the rest. 

Well, Rhaegal was injured, which is why Jon didn’t ride him, but I agree that team Dany tends to do a lousy job of keeping an eye out for danger

I liked this a lot, more than last week's battle episode. I really liked how it gave the characters space to breathe and there were some great emotional scenes.

It also set up everything for the final Game of Thrones to play out. A few shocks in there as well.

E4 8/10
E3 8/10
E2 10/10
E1 7/10

This episode I rate 8/10. Quite good, not spectacular, but several nice scenes, but some mistakes, too.

NICE

The funeral scene was well done. Jon's short speech was good, the overall mood believable, nice mourning scenes of Daenerys/Jorah, Sansa/Theon, Arya/Beric and Samwell/Edd. Didn't need so many minutes, but was wrapping the Great war up well.

I enjoyed the wake scene with the feast in Winterfell's great hall. Many nice dialogue, they took their time to establish the after-the-war reality. I missed damages in the Great Hall, even the intro showed more than this scene.

Brienne/Jaime/Tormund triangle resolved nicely and believable. Tormund and Brienne are very opposite and I never understood the shippers. Jamie and Brienne fit. Jaime leaving at the end is sad but makes somehow sense. He has unfinished business as well.

I enjoyed the Sansa/Sandor reunion. Nicely done, even if late in the season. But finally with emotions and a reasonable resolution. That was believable and wraps up her common arc nicely.

I very much appreciated Arya/Hound riding together for taking care of unfinished business. Reunited and agreeable. I liked that. 

Daenerys acknowledging Gendry as Lord of Storm's End and as Lord Baretheon was well done, believable and makes total sense for me. What an easy reward to give away for her and what a great thing to him. Fine.

The proposal and refusal of Arya/Gendry was weird. Gendry rushed it and lost. He should have known Arya better than wanting to be a lady. He should have talked about adventure, sex and independence, not about "Lady of Storm's Ends". 

The beheading of Missandei was sad, but as scene fair enough. An important exit from the show, a nicely done death scene honoring this side character. Setting up for a lot of fury, rage, vengeance. Emotions, which are not the best adviser for leading a war.

BAD

Dragons shot down so easily is against the history and lore of overly powerful dragons. That didn't make much sense to me. Yes, Qyburn invented a new weapon but giant crossbows as solution against dragons is far too easy and plays the importance of dragons so much down, it gets almost ridiculous.

Not enough damage to Winterfell, not enough repairing, healing, far too few wounded peoples. A little bit too rushed and too down-played. 

The scene in front of King's Landing was just weird. Did King's Landing even before looked like a solid castle with sandy steppe in front of it? That was very contrary to how be previously saw King's Landing.

The Bronn scene was entirely superfluous and nonsense.

8 hours ago, Greenmonsterff said:

Jesus, looking at the ratings and reading the reviews, I don’t know why some of you even bother to watch. Gluttons for punishment, I guess. I loved it. It’s OK that it’s not a Shakespearean tragedy for me. Or true to GRRM gospel. It’s great entertainment. I would challenge the critics to find something better to watch. And let me know what it is. I really do want to know. I’m always looking for a good show. 

I think here is what is missing - years ago, this show was the filet mignon of the airwaves.  And it remained that way - different from the books but fantastic television.

then...the pre-cook preparation started to get a little messy.  the table service started to decline.  the actual filet was overcooked.  After a while you look at it and can still say yes, I am getting filet mignon...but it tastes like shit and could be used as the sole of my shoe.  So yes, I am still getting GOT, but this show is not as good as it had been - the logical inconsistencies, poor character writing, poor decisions around fight portrayals, the list goes on.

For me it's not great entertainment anymore - but I have also invested time into the show since 2007 when GRRM announced it was coming to HBO, so I am going to spend another 3 hours to see how they close out the story and then wait for him to eventually finish the books.

This season appears to be trying to contend with last season for worst one in the series. This episode was OK in my opinion (but I thought the other ones were trash so.) My main issue is that you could have cut this episode down a lot. They didn't need to make a 40 minute drinking scene at Winterfell. It could have been cut down by 20 minutes easily. There were some interesting moments as long as you didn't think about them too hard, though that's routine.

I give it a 5. Way better than last week's episode, I will give it that...

3 hours ago, Mr Smith said:

- Jon not mentioning the incest. I liked that it was unsaid before, but I felt like it needed to be said this time. Also it would have emphasised how far apart Jon and Dany are on why his parentage bothers them.

But he did, he showed us.  I think there is some writing rule about 'show us, don't tell us.'  So, there was no long-winded discussion about incest.  But we did see Jon begin to kiss her,  move her against the table, and then pull away, and walk away across the room.  It was enough to tell us that Jon can no longer be 'with' his aunt, and Dany seems to have no problem with incest. 

Edited by lakin1013

6/10.

There's a lot of filler here, and yet the more important things seem rushed. I don't like the direction this story is going tbh, so I'll just focus on the positive things. Jon saying goodbye to Tormund, Sam, and Gilly (felt bad about Ghost but I get it), Dany's feeling of isolation at Winterfell and her gradually becoming more detached and desperate (but so rushed!), and Varys' new found usefulness were things I liked.

4 minutes ago, Greywolf2375 said:

I think here is what is missing - years ago, this show was the filet mignon of the airwaves.  And it remained that way - different from the books but fantastic television.

then...the pre-cook preparation started to get a little messy.  the table service started to decline.  the actual filet was overcooked.  After a while you look at it and can still say yes, I am getting filet mignon...but it tastes like shit and could be used as the sole of my shoe.  So yes, I am still getting GOT, but this show is not as good as it had been - the logical inconsistencies, poor character writing, poor decisions around fight portrayals, the list goes on.

For me it's not great entertainment anymore - but I have also invested time into the show since 2007 when GRRM announced it was coming to HBO, so I am going to spend another 3 hours to see how they close out the story and then wait for him to eventually finish the books.

It has been very rushed for the last two seasons. I don’t think they could afford to keep all the actors together any longer and the CG budget was through the roof. But, like I said, it’s still better than 100% of everything else.

4 hours ago, YoungGriff89 said:

To the bolded portion it is most certainly the latter.  If he was going to kill Cersei he wouldn’t have any reason to lie to Brienne when questioned.  Unless it was Bran warging Jaime or something.  

Not necessarily (I tell myself). It could be that he fully expects to die in the process of killing Cersei and doesn't want Brienne following him and getting hurt/killed as well.

Of course, that requires a degree of subtlety that I'm not sure the writing is capable of anymore. 

2 hours ago, dannyk65 said:

Podrick is one of the original cast members.  Are you on the edge of your seat to see what happens to him?

One of the more interesting shots in the episode.  Last time we see him he has a girl under each arm.  Pod for the Iron Throne!

1 hour ago, btfu806 said:

This season appears to be trying to contend with last season for worst one in the series.

Ooh, Ithink it has already won. At least last season wasn't the last ever season. The dissapointment from me and my friends (all of whom have read the books) has reached critical level. A lot of them have said that they honestly don't care how it will end.
But I do care, because I like the books very much. I simply don't accept that what I am seeing is canon. 
As far as the episode, I found it be the best of season 8 so far. It had cheesy-happy moments like ep1, it was laughably stupid like ep2, and it had OMG moments like ep3. But it also seemed more like thrones. 
I liked the scenes between Tyrion and Varys. I liked Sansa with Sandor. It was an improvement.

1 minute ago, the hound of sansa said:

Ooh, Ithink it has already won. At least last season wasn't the last ever season. The dissapointment from me and my friends (all of whom have read the books) has reached critical level. A lot of them have said that they honestly don't care how it will end.
But I do care, because I like the books very much. I simply don't accept that what I am seeing is canon. 
As far as the episode, I found it be the best of season 8 so far. It had cheesy-happy moments like ep1, it was laughably stupid like ep2, and it had OMG moments like ep3. But it also seemed more like thrones. 
I liked the scenes between Tyrion and Varys. I liked Sansa with Sandor. It was an improvement.

I guess I still have so much anger over the wight hunt from last season, that who season will always have that dark cloud over it. I am a book reader as well, and I just want to know how this crap ends. I really hope we get the books so I can get a true conclusion to it all, but I don't know....

1 hour ago, Greywolf2375 said:

I For me it's not great entertainment anymore - but I have also invested time into the show since 2007 when GRRM announced it was coming to HBO, so I am going to spend another 3 hours to see how they close out the story and then wait for him to eventually finish the books.

This pretty much sums it up for me.  There is no book I can turn to, and I want to see how it ends, so that means that I watch two show developers struggle to draw all the strings together.  Even if I know that Martin pointed them in the right direction, D&D will not provide the rich depth of the book.  Instead of having a steak dinner, I am grabbing McDonalds.