[SPOILERS] Rhaegal

So a leak came through in the form of a clip from the episode.

Daenerys is strolling around Dragonstone with her dragons until suddenly the Iron Fleet appears out of nowhere--because they're secret ninjas--and then Euron kills Rhaegal with those massive bolts, a pretty strong ballista, and an SuperArya-like aim.

*sighs*

Why do we need this? Does Euron still not look dangerous enough for the audience?

I was kinda surprised the episode didn't end with Rhaegal dragging himself out of the water on the beach or something.

On a rewatch though he took a bolt right through his neck and coughed out a lot of blood before crashing into the water so he is more then likely dead dead.

13 minutes ago, azor_ahaiii said:

Dead as fuck. Never expected any of the dragons to survive anyway so I didn't find it shocking. Dany not being able to see a massive fleet from the FUCKING SKY on the other hand...

It's hardly Daenerys fault if the script won't allow her to.

Everything about Rhaegals death was wrong.
It was anti-climactic, illogical and made no sense what so ever. It was made for pure shock and nothing else.

And don't get me started on the accuracy of those ship-mounted ballistas, shooting from behind the mountain while rocking on the waves at the same time, still hitting every shot from a mile away...

I pray that GRRM has more planned for both the Dragons & Direwolves (that’s if he even plans on writing another SoIaF book) because they have been an utter waste in the show (moreso the Direwolves).  I do expect them to die in the books (Alleras will down one) but I expect them to have way more impact tame show.

13 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

I pray that GRRM has more planned for both the Dragons & Direwolves (that’s if he even plans on writing another SoIaF book) because they have been an utter waste in the show (moreso the Direwolves).  I do expect them to die in the books (Alleras will down one) but I expect them to have way more impact tame show.

My thinking is book Euron kills Rhaegal with the dragonbinder horn...and any other details besides "Euron kills RHaegal" were left out by the show because super-ballista shocking death scene was easier for D&D.

2 minutes ago, dannyk65 said:

My thinking is book Euron kills Rhaegal with the dragonbinder horn...and any other details besides "Euron kills RHaegal" were left out by the show because super-ballista shocking death scene was easier for D&D.

I see it totally differently. I think Euron’s Valyrian steel armor is directly linked to the horn.  When the Horn is blown whatever dragon will become linked to that Armor.  Viserion will be the dragon & he will fly to Euron.  Alleras (like her Dornish ancestors) will be the one to down Euron’s dragon but with an arrow shot to the eyes.  Then we may see a great stone beast (dead Viserion) rise out of the ocean by a smoking tower (Oldtown or Eastwatch) breathing shadow fire.  That’s my tinfoil anyway. Lol. I even think book Euron is raiding Oldtown trying to find a way to become the “ultimate king”.  He’ll learn about a dragonglass procedure to the heart (like in the show) & willing do the transformation & become the book’s version of the Night King or main Other.  But that’s my super duper tinfoil theory.  Lol. 

Not that it matters but Euron's fleet were aligned abreast in a narrow channel and the scorpions are all on the bow. If Dany had an ounce of brains she would have done a quick sweep behind the islands and fry the whole fleet from behind. 

I don't remember an uproar when basically the same weapon was used to defend the wall against the wildlings? Same basic weapon wielded by different people, used on a giant instead of a dragon.

4 hours ago, dbunting said:

I don't remember an uproar when basically the same weapon was used to defend the wall against the wildlings? Same basic weapon wielded by different people, used on a giant instead of a dragon.

Used from above to a unmoving giant.

2 hours ago, Regular John Umber said:

Rhaegal may be dead, but that doesn't mean he's dead dead. My prediction is that next week, Bran finally does something useful and wargs a dead damn dragon.

Rhaegal healed by mermaids perhaps?

4 hours ago, dbunting said:

So killing a dragon is supposedly comparable to killing a giant?  Since when?  With a ranged siege weapon?  I thought dragons were much more difficult to try and kill...almost impossibly difficult...because they fly and breathe fire and stuff.

39 minutes ago, SerChristian said:

Rhaegal healed by mermaids perhaps?

This reminds me that there is a theory floating around somewhere that he will be resurrected by the Drowned God. I think the reasoning was more or less that we have recently seen a sudden activity spike in the Lord of Light and whatever magic he represents, and this would give an opportunity to another deity or form of magic to manifest their powers (before magic disappears for good). I don't buy into that theory, although I have to say I miss the Drowned God myth and how little of it eventually made it into the show.

I still think getting rid of Rhaegal, however ridiculous his death, was the right thing story-wise. It will give Dany the necessary incentive to act and will of course turn her into a real underdog until another deus ex plot-twist. I'm just kind of sad that Rhaegal's last episodes were spent being a tool for demonstrating Jon's Targaryen identity (at poor Ghost's expense).

//edit: minor changes

13 hours ago, dbunting said:

Scorpion fired from land against another object on land is much easier than firing one from a moving ship against a flying/moving object.

Ever hunted before? I'm shooting a compound bow while in a tree stand against a walking or standing deer below me. Then I'm shooting a compound bow while standing in a rocking boat against a bird flying in a zig zag pattern in the air. What sounds easier?

16 hours ago, dannyk65 said:

Exactly.  I think the events will play out similarly in the books with Euron killing Rhaegal.  But instead of using a magical laser guided heat seeking bolt, he will use a much more logical magic horn.

14 hours ago, dbunting said:

I don't remember anywhere a mention of giants having skins so tough, no blade can pierce them.

48 minutes ago, Essan said:

Exactly.  I think the events will play out similarly in the books with Euron killing Rhaegal.  But instead of using a magical laser guided heat seeking bolt, he will use a much more logical magic horn.

At least the fantasyland horn will be explained in the fantasy books with some level of detail....

Archived