Rant & Rave Without Repercussion [book and show spoilers]

1 minute ago, Hodor's Dragon said:

Apparently they secretly mass-produced exorbitant scads of these super-accurate insta-loading ballistas that can rival a Phalanx CIWS system when deployed in numbers and 99X exorbitant scads of those super-heavy but finely tooled bolts. Also perfected the device for mounting them on moving vessels, clearly incorporating some sort of balancing system, produced all the mounting parts needed, and installed them in each vessel.

It helps when those ships are part cheap CGI, part fixed set, so they don't actually move with the waves.

9 minutes ago, UnViserion said:

They really shit on Bronn’s character. Nobody really thought he’d kill Tyrion and Jaime. But wtf was that? Strolls in loaded, smacks Tyrion in the face, gets what he wants, than bitches out and says he’ll find them when it’s all over to collect his reward? Possibly the most laughable part was when he claimed he could beat Jaime in his prime. Wtf?? :lol: 

lol they made Bronn so much more "important" on the show than he is in the story. Jaime would have considered him a minor inconvenience at best.

1 minute ago, of man and wolf said:

lol they made Bronn so much more "important" on the show than he is in the story. Jaime would have considered him a minor inconvenience at best.

Should have just let him keep his lackwit and his bastard stepson. His story is way better in the books.

6 minutes ago, ShimShim said:

Also, is there any reason they couldn't use the magic man in the wheelchair to warg some ravens and scout out all the enemies position. These people have advanced recon tech and don't even bother using it XD. 

I mean, did Dany think Dragonstone was just as she left it? She should have been scouting out that whole situation before leading her fleet into it. The fact that Cersei and Euron didn't have Dragonstone manned armed is ridiculous to begin with. Using it as a trap and then getting the fuck out and letting her have a base on the doorstop is as poorly thought out as the Winterfell defenses.

Gendry Rivers??? First of all, he was born in the Crownlands, so he would be a Waters. But also, he was never recognized by King Robert, so he wouldn't even have a surname to begin with. 

Arya in the books gets along with a variety of people. Arya in the show is an exclusionist. This change is not even the worst thing the show writers have done to my favourite character, but it really shows how little they care about the characterization in the books.

Jaime leaving Brienne for Cersei... I don't even know where to begin. I thought we were past this and Jaime's characterization would actually be salvaged from previous seasons. Guess I was wrong.

Cersei could have just told her people to aim the scorpions at Dany and Tyrion and be done with it. 

Bronn is really annoying. Why is he still around?

Jon leaving behind Ghost. Enough said.

16 minutes ago, ShimShim said:

My big problem with this ep, is once again not only are the dragons in the show really weak, but for those who read Fire and Blood, remember how Jaehaerys and his sons went up against a large Martell fleet armed with the same weapons that took down Meraxes and they won, because he mentions how hard it is to actually hit a flying dragon.

It seems easy enough... firing a ballista from a ship that is bouncing in the water...probably 500-1000 yards away... moving target...the shooters have never really been able to practice such a shot....and ...they hit him 3 fricking times without missing.... full on plot BS.  If it's that easy to take out a dragon, then what was anyone worried about?  

30 minutes ago, Corvinus said:
  • At what point will Cersei actually start looking pregnant?

This. So she announces that she's pregnant. Jaime rides to Winterfell for the battle. Then there are battle preparations, not to mention the actual battle, that was followed by what had to be a massive clean-up (based on what the show presented us). Then after that, they have to travel to the ships and sail to Dragonstone, followed by the trip to parley at King's Landing.

Real time required: Probably 6-8 months minimum, probably much more. Show time required: 1-2 weeks, maybe less? <_<

This is the thing - they hit three times in a row. I can stomach that they get a little lucky. They hit Rhaegal three times in a row - we didn't see any other bolts missing until it came time to hit Drogon. Just poor storytelling there. If the sky was full of bolts it would have been more understandable. Have that one take him in the neck - that looked pretty fatal - and have that be the only shot that hit.

Honestly, I really don't know where Dany and Jon stand on their romance. Are they freaking out (when making out) because they're related or because of the throne thing? The show didn't make it clear?

First line of the episode

Jon Snow: “We’re here to say goodbye to our brothers and sisters...”

Would it have killed them to use “farewell”?

For some odd reason, this stuck in my craw more than the laser sights on the scorpions!

Just now, teej6 said:

So now apparently there’s a prince in Dorne. People just miraculously appear when then need it. 

Duh, you new here? :p

Dorne gets a new prince from somewhere in pretty short time, but Storm's End goes unmanned until now so Gendry can get rewarded.

20 minutes ago, Corvinus said:
  • And the ruination of Jon Snow and Jaime Lannister is now complete.

Yes. Complete and past the point of no return. My two faves.

I am so happy. /s

• Fuck you, Jon Snow, for not giving two shits about Ghost. All bleeding, ear torn off, the pup you saved, you held in your arms. Fuck you, I hope you die.

Slowly and screaming. Fuck you, Jon Snow. 

• Oh, you have a dragon now! Ha, not anymore, you wanker.

:lmao:

• I guess a new tradition has started in the North, burning your dead. Psychologically, it makes sense given the crypts. (And creatively, of course) But you know, I can't help to think that if you has so much wood for burning all those dead, maybe you could have used said to better prepare your defenses? Maybe fewer dead, then? And what happened to the trench?

Kewl visuals! Each one holding a torch and setting a pyre on fire, like synchronised swimming. 

• Hey who rules Storm’s End? Anyone? No one knows? Varys? Bueller? Bueller? No, you don’t know, the great spymaster and you don’t know. But you know there’s a new Prince of Dorne! Halleluiah, there are still people in other parts of Westeros. Who is it? Varys? We aren’t going to speak of this again, are we?

I didn’t even catch the bit about a new Prince in Dorne? Must have been yelling at the telly at the time.

• The inn scene with Bronn felt like a Tarantino movie, except these characters have layers and layers of plot armor on them.

I thought they were in Winterfell? Not that it matters. Nothing matters. 

• How the fuck does Dany still have an army? Apparently, half of each individual force survived. Even the Dothraki? Hooooow? :bang: Also, the entire castle got overrun, but funnily enough that room with the battle map was left undisturbed, to allow for a little dramatic visual moment.

How indeed. Especially after David and Dan said in the Outside the Episode (803) that the Dothraki didn’t exist as a race anymore. Whatever the plot demands, I guess. 

• So, in the books Meraxes was killed by a lucky scorpion bolt that pierced its eye. In the show, such a bolt is pretty much the equivalent of a magical ice spear, and Cersei has loads of them. Logically, Dany’s side is fucked – one dragon, that can be easily taken down, a depleted and exhausted army, a commander who everyone says how great he is, but in reality is a moron, a Hand who is completely out of ideas and is quickly becoming an alcoholic, and a spymaster who has turned against her.

Can someone please explain to me why when Rhaegal went down Dany went, “AAAAARRRRGGGHHHHHH” and not “Dracarys”? Please? Demands of the dumb as fuck plot would be my guess. But oh, so stupid...

• Why is Cersei even willing to have that parley? She should have killed Tyrion, there and then. But plot armor repels a thousand arrows.

:lol:

• I wonder how the writers will contrive to have Cersei lose. It’s rhetorical, because the baddest motherfucking team up in history, stars of one of the secret 5 spinoff shows, no doubt, is coming to take care of some unfinished buzzinuss. Arya and The Hound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They ride, they grunt, they don’t say very much, and they will kill every chicken, ice demon, and loud-mouthed turd they can find.

:rolleyes:And seriously, with Euron pretty much controlling the waters, how did they even get at the gates of KL? Did they manufacture copies of Littlefinger’s jetpack?

• Turns out Jaime wouldn’t have stood a chance against Bronn even in his prime, because creatively it makes sense to say dumb shit like that. I really don’t have much else to say about him. I’m sure he’ll still end up killing Cersei (unless Arya, of course), and all this was more pointless drama.

That was so completely ridiculous. But hey, Bronn and his Bronnisms are awesome, whereas Jaime sucks. :ack:

• At what point will Cersei actually start looking pregnant?

Well, her hair hasn’t grown much at all since the WoS. My hair grows more in a couple of weeks than Cersei’s grown is... how long? I have no idea, and I’m sure they don’t either. And if you think about Gilly’s baby... well... the answer is, of course, whenever they decide it’s time. Maybe never. 

13 minutes ago, dannyk65 said:

So why has so much of the story been about the incredible strength of dragons?  Shouldn't it be about bending the knee to the people who have ballistas that could shoot down a jet fighter?

:lmao:

9 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Burn them all.

Yes, please. 

7 minutes ago, longest night said:

Am I the only one that eerily gets the feeling that the Night King will return in episode 6? There's another dragon now waiting to be animated.

Yes? 

This is the reason why I stopped watching the show, and all the people who said, well, at least D&D is giving us an ending.  Screw that, an ending like this no better than no ending at all. Other than trying to figure out what is something GRRM told them and what is their own invention, there is no value to watching this show.

The show truly has topped itself week after week this year.

Every week I don't think it can get any worse. Every week it does. 

Nothing makes any sense anymore. No one acts in character ever. Mad Queen Dany came out of nowhere and just serves as an excuse to create tension in a now tensionless story. Cutting away from Sansa and Arya's reaction to the news about Jon shows such a cowardice of writing that it is utterly unbelievable. 

GOT/ASOIF has just become a lesson in pain. Pain that Martin will never finish the novels. Pain that we will never know which parts of this ending are Martin's and which are not. Pain that this is how what was once of the great TV shows of our time is going to go out. 

2 minutes ago, Zwalt said:

It seems easy enough... firing a ballista from a ship that is bouncing in the water...probably 500-1000 yards away... moving target...the shooters have never really been able to practice such a shot....and ...they hit him 3 fricking times without missing.... full on plot BS.  If it's that easy to take out a dragon, then what was anyone worried about?  

Remember when Prince Garins army of 250,000 only managed to take down 3, only three dragons with the help of water magic. I imagine thats what it should take to take down fully grown dragons, that, or another dragon. 

25 minutes ago, Gertrude said:

Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god - too many things, brain overload.

Fuck off Ghost, you cost too much. Imma say good bye to my best friend ever, Sam now ...baiiiii!

I hate, hate, hate what they did to Gendry/Arya and Brienne/Jaime. Not that these things happened, but the way they happened. Gendry Rivers (what?) went full on fool. And Jaime was, as he said, hateful. Get the girl drunk and take advantage of her then loose her number. Maybe - MAYBE - Jaime will pull out of it, but that speech didn't seem like it. Maybe he's pulling a move like Arya with Nymeria, but I just wish they had never happened at all if this is the end. Fuck off D&D Fuck off Fuck off.

So much more, but I can't even right now.

Yes, FUCK OFF D&D. 

Gods, that was so awful... 

And I could possibly see something like, he’s going to try to stop Cersei and if that fails, he’ll try to remove her from KL, and all else failing he kills her. He’s not going back to her because he loves her. Something along those lines. But I don’t trust the Ds, and I especially don’t trust them w/ characters they’ve butchered so badly, like Jaime. So, show wise, it’s not impossible that what you see is what you get; in other words, he’s going back to Cersei because he loves her forever and they die together while he is trying to save her. Yikes. I’m gonna puke if that happens. :ack:

Archived