Rant & Rave Without Repercussion [book and show spoilers]

Thoughts on the Ep5 preview. I think its pretty obvious KL will get burned, to what extent i'm not certain. Maybe only the red keep, maybe the entire city. I'm guessing that Drogon will end up dying next ep. 

The "best' thing of all. The Three Dragons who were born just at the right time from dead, fossilized eggs through dark means of magic and all that... have been completely pointless so far and now two of them are dead.

So I'm still mad about Jaime and Brienne. I don't particularly ship them, but wasn't mad to see them get together in the show. I could see it going either way. But I hate that he hurt her and was a coward about it to boot. 

But what I'm really thinking about right now is how awful that scene was where Jaime follows her to her room. It was awkward in all the wrong ways. They are both adults and have been very honest with each other, very vulnerable to each other. They bring out the best in each other and admire and respect each other. Did you feel that tension in the air when Jaime knighted her? They forgot the world eisted. That moment was beautiful. 

Then we cut to this scene and Jaime has all the moves you'd expect of a teen-aged virgin. Get the girl drunk and get her alone. Make some stupid excuse to strip down and hope things work out in your favor instead of being an adult about it. I really, really fucking hate that they got together like this.

I wasn't completely over the show until tonight. This really has jumped multiple sharks at this point. If I didn't already know theres only two episodes left I would have seriously stopped watching and revisited years later... maybe.

3 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

The "best' thing of all. The Three Dragons who were born just at the right time from dead, fossilized eggs through dark means of magic and all that... have been completely pointless so far and now two of them are dead.

Dany looks incompetent compared to Aegon the conqueror.

On that note, anyone else think it was stupid to March right in front of Kingslanding. There were like 20 ballistas aimed directly at Drogon and Dany. Why exactly didn't Cersei just murder them all when just moments earlier it was established that the Ballistas are pinpoint accurate and can land multiple shots from a mile away.

18 minutes ago, Gertrude said:

There is one bright spot. Emilia Clarke's acting in the episode was some of her best performances of the entire show. I mean, they let her do something other than a stone-faced "I am the Queen" type face. Turns out she can do paranoid rage quite well.

Agree. I was thinking exactly the same thing during the episode. 

12 minutes ago, dornishpen said:

I think that would make it worse. I just can't even imagine what would be said to defend the decisions of what's been done this season or really at all since they passed the books.

Oh I have no doubts it will make it much, much worse. I mean, when the Ds start to explain what they should have shown, it’s usually excruciating. I’m still very curious to see what kind of insane excuse they’ll make for themselves. I just can’t stomach it just yet! :D

6 minutes ago, Kristoff said:

Dany looks incompetent compared to Aegon the conqueror.

On that note, anyone else think it was stupid to March right in front of Kingslanding. There were like 20 ballistas aimed directly at Drogon and Dany. Why exactly didn't Cersei just murder them all when just moments earlier it was established that the Ballistas are pinpoint accurate and can land multiple shots from a mile away.

I guess Cersei actually wants Daenerys to burn the city?

That actually makes Cersei look more like Mad King Aerys than Daenerys does...

Why do you say that Dany looks incompetent compared to Aegon the Conqueror?

4 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Oh I have no doubts it will make it much, much worse. I mean, when the Ds start to explain what they should have shown, it’s usually excruciating. I’m still very curious to see what kind of insane excuse they’ll make for themselves. I just can’t stomach it just yet! :D

I watched it.

It was all very telling.

Am I the only one who is okay with Daenerys burning King's Landing?

2 minutes ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

Am I the only one who is okay with Daenerys burning King's Landing?

Eh, at this point might as well. The only problem I'd have with it would be that she hasn't done it last season.

Everyone's acting was superlative on the show, but gawd the story....Yes, bye Ghost, thanks for the memories, you're only like part of my soul and everything, but whatevs. :wacko:

And yeah, Dany.... Dragons can fly into the clouds (and see an enemy armada) and fly straight down on top of ballistas, and you know roast them from above? Why they can even do this at night when your enemies visibility is next to zippo....you know, kind like how your ancestors took down Harrenhall (and pretty much everyone else who tried to shoot these things at them)? 

Ugh....this is being so driven into the ground that I didn't even care about Messandi's fate, or Rhaegul. I feel like we're getting the version of the story as told by the drunken friend (that we all have), who just totally and laughably gets all the details wrong, while insisting they know what they're talking about. 

Compared to everything else the show got wrong, this might be very minor but I still had to vent.

Robert's rebellion did not  happen because Lyanna stark ran off with Rhaegar. Jon Arryn called the banners when the Mad King asked for the heads of Edard and Robert. So the rebellion is not on Robert's hands - it was entirely the Mad King's fault.

Why doesn’t Dany or anyone hire Arya to kill Cersei? That way Dany doesn’t have to kill any innocent lives. This is crazy with the amount of skill Arya has I would think someone would have approached her regarding this.

23 minutes ago, Gertrude said:

So I'm still mad about Jaime and Brienne. I don't particularly ship them, but wasn't mad to see them get together in the show. I could see it going either way. But I hate that he hurt her and was a coward about it to boot. 

But what I'm really thinking about right now is how awful that scene was where Jaime follows her to her room. It was awkward in all the wrong ways. They are both adults and have been very honest with each other, very vulnerable to each other. They bring out the best in each other and admire and respect each other. Did you feel that tension in the air when Jaime knighted her? They forgot the world eisted. That moment was beautiful. 

Then we cut to this scene and Jaime has all the moves you'd expect of a teen-aged virgin. Get the girl drunk and get her alone. Make some stupid excuse to strip down and hope things work out in your favor instead of being an adult about it. I really, really fucking hate that they got together like this.

At this point Brienne would have been better off  riding into the sunset with Tormund and Ghost to the North. I liked  the Jaime and Brienne relationship so far. The scene in which Brienne was knighted by Jaime, would have been a good final moment for them in my opinion. Him following her awkwardly for having sex with her just to walk out on her is kind of awful. 

There were a few puzzling parts for me.

The major one was the Iron fleet bit. How were they not spotted and they were too powerful. And a scene later Dany arrives at KL, which ships were those?

I didn't find the ship between Jaime and Brienne necessary. I wonder if it's something GRRM had in mind or if it was pure fan service.

And poor Ghost, Jon doesn't even mention his name but at least someone acknowledged him. But it's a shame the direwolves are just decoration at this point.

21 minutes ago, Crona said:

Why doesn’t Dany or anyone hire Arya to kill Cersei? That way Dany doesn’t have to kill any innocent lives. This is crazy with the amount of skill Arya has I would think someone would have approached her regarding this.

Quite true. Cersei should be a walk in the park for the ninja assasin.

1 hour ago, Isildur's Mane said:

I'm not sure what everyone has against an aunt marrying a nephew. We think its gross but in story its common. Wasn't there a Stark ancestor who married and aunt of uncle? I'm 99% positive on this.

It's not common actually. There are only 3 historical examples in Westeros:

Visenya wanted to wed Maegor to his niece Rhaena (daughter of Aenys and Velaryon 1st cousin), and the High Septon protested against it.

Two Stark daughters were wed to their half-uncles (the half-brothers of their father), which was borderline, because it was a power grab by the half-uncles.

34 minutes ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

Why do you say that Dany looks incompetent compared to Aegon the Conqueror?

Because Aegon bent the knees of 6 Kings and created anentirely new kingdom(empire?) In the time it took Danaerys to lose 2 dragons, and her claim to the throne to the only king left alive that swore allegiance to her.

In fact the main issue with the show, other than the lack of eternal consistency and poor writing is the fact that the entirety of the events that take place pale in comparison to the already established lore. It all feels so weak and boring in comparison. if i wasn't entirely positive D&D qould mess it up, I'd say the story of Aegon's conquest would have been much more suitable for adaptation.

Oh and another rant I have.....We've only waited from the beginning to see the Stark sibling/ cousin reaction to the truth Jon's heritage (what should have been a really powerful moment, especially for some amazing acting)....just to have it cut away and not show us!!! A move that every directing hack loves to copy-cat. Seriously, D&D, fuck you guys, man. 

Archived