Rant & Rave Without Repercussion [book and show spoilers]

28 minutes ago, Blackfyres R Legit said:

Everyone's acting was superlative on the show, but gawd the story....Yes, bye Ghost, thanks for the memories, you're only like part of my soul and everything, but whatevs. :wacko:

And yeah, Dany.... Dragons can fly into the clouds (and see an enemy armada) and fly straight down on top of ballistas, and you know roast them from above? Why they can even do this at night when your enemies visibility is next to zippo....you know, kind like how your ancestors took down Harrenhall (and pretty much everyone else who tried to shoot these things at them)? 

Ugh....this is being so driven into the ground that I didn't even care about Messandi's fate, or Rhaegul. I feel like we're getting the version of the story as told by the drunken friend (that we all have), who just totally and laughably gets all the details wrong, while insisting they know what they're talking about. 

This first point reminds me of a rant I had about the Red Wedding—how could Rob leave his wolf outside?

Just now, Kristoff said:

Because Aegon bent the knees of 6 Kings and created anentirely new kingdom(empire?) In the time it took Danaerys to lose 2 dragons, and her claim to the throne to the only king left alive that swore allegiance to her.

True.

Dany's incompetence lies in the facts that she hired the wrong advisors and that she constantly has to prove to people (both in real life and on the show) that she's not a psychotic tyrant with delusions of grandeur and pyromania.

Aegon the Conqueror would have burned the Red Keep (and probably King's Landing too) several times over by now. Not only would he not have lost a wink of sleep about doing so but he would not suffer the man or woman who would question his decisions and plot against him.

Let's be real: he was going to do just that to Oldtown.

36 minutes ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

I guess Cersei actually wants Daenerys to burn the city?

That actually makes Cersei look more like Mad King Aerys than Daenerys does...

There was something about Tyrion during his direct speech to Cersei, a small nod or wink or something, like he gave her the go ahead to kill Missandei. Hell, Tyrion made a whole speech how she's NOT A MONSTER ,AND LOVES HER CHILDREN.

4 minutes ago, teej6 said:

Quiet true. Cersei should be a walk in the park for the ninja assasin.

Did Arya even tell anyone she was leaving WF and going to KL? Because then why did Dany and company not just wait until Arya did her stuff?

26 minutes ago, Blackfyres R Legit said:

Everyone's acting was superlative on the show, but gawd the story....Yes, bye Ghost, thanks for the memories, you're only like part of my soul and everything, but whatevs.

Jon seems to have completely shed everything Stark. He doesn't care about giving the Northmen some time to recuperate. He goes against his cousin. He rids himself of the literal Stark symbol. Ghost whining when Jon ditched him broke my heart. FU Jon. And the big insult, he left Ghost with Tormund instead of his Stark family like he did in S7. Jon is just annoying the hell out of me this Season. Get a spine for crying out loud, you've been utterly useless all Season. Apparently being Targ whipped does that to you.

Today I read a twitter comment to Kit's interview how this epi was his favourite as it was shakespearean (everybody riding/flying off to their doom and dumping their lovers or praising d&d for being raped)

And it said, "We wish for Hamlet, but we get Titus Andronicus instead". Which made me laugh.

I like Shakespeare's Titus Andronicus (Shakespeare going Tarantino really), but at least you know what you're getting into from the get go.

D&D did indeed turn this show in a Titus Andronicus nightmare, unfortunately a BAD version of it.

1 minute ago, Mystical said:

Did Arya even tell anyone she was leaving WF and going to KL? Because then why did Dany and company not just wait until Arya did her stuff?

Who knows. Everything happens offscreen on this shows. Yeah, Arya just rides off and no goodbyes, nothing. And didn’t she tell the Hound that she’s never returning to WF?

7 minutes ago, teej6 said:

Who knows. Everything happens offscreen on this shows. Yeah, Arya just rides off and no goodbyes, nothing. And didn’t she tell the Hound that she’s never returning to WF?

The Starks are the last family on this show and they didn't give us an actual family scene the entire Season. Closest we got was Sansa/Jon in episode 1 but that was all about knee bending. They didn't spend their last night together or what they thought would be their last night. And now we finally have all 4 and it's all about Jon's parentage again. And there are no goodbye scenes at all. Arya not returning to WF...why on earth did we not get a Sansa/Arya scene? So freaking annoying that we have to sit through college drinking games over and over but we can't have family moments for the Starks. Heck Tyrion and Cersei got more of a family moment talking across the distance then all the Starks combined this Season.

3 hours ago, Corvinus said:

3 hours ago, Corvinus said:
  • So, in the books Meraxes was killed by a lucky scorpion bolt that pierced its eye. In the show, such a bolt is pretty much the equivalent of a magical ice spear, and Cersei has loads of them. Logically, Dany’s side is fucked – one dragon, that can be easily taken down, a depleted and exhausted army, a commander who everyone says how great he is, but in reality is a moron

Yeah, when Varys said something like maybe the man who doesn't want it is the right man to be king, I was thinking, "Maybe the king should be stupid. Stupidity could be exactly what makes a king good instead of just stupid." But Jon has somehow been surrounded by success despite his not knowing anything and constantly failing. So there could be something to it. 

Bron: I knew Cercei was dead the moment I saw those Dragons.

(few minutes later)

Dragons fall like mosquitoes.

Good writing. Very consistent.

It would be nice to see Daenerys and her brave 300 fight Cercei.

Was this entire script based on 300? :P

I am constantly surprised at how the show writes around the obvious solution to the Danny/Jon conflict, which is for them to get married. Sure, it's gross because they're aunt and nephew. Actually, closer than aunt and nephew. But still. For the good of the realm and all. 

Danny would get used to it, if she actually loves him. Or, ya know, they could go the Mad Queen way. Which they want you to think they might be doing, but I think we all know they aren't. 

2 hours ago, StarkofWinterfell said:

In the episode they said they were going to White Harbor so I imagine the Manderly’s helped them out

Yep, Wyman Manderley, that highly profitable Marina operator. Let's hope he gave the Drag Queen a discount for mooring her Unsullied troop carriers there during the rendezvous with the Night King.

What's that, it's Dragon Queen, not Drag Queen? Why because of those two flying ballista targets? Whatever.

37 minutes ago, teej6 said:

These are the final episodes and yet the show has a distinct lack of heart. No proper goodbye for Ghost (was it really that hard to give him a farewell scene?), and no proper Stark family scene.  Everything seems so cold and like they are going just for the shock value moments, instead of investing time in the characters.

Not sure if it has already been mentioned - but WTF is up with Varys telling Dany not to invade King's Landing with Dothraki? Didn't they send the entire race wiped out memo down to the crypts last episode?

This show has gotten very, very dumb. It's almost like something can't be popular and smart anymore.

1 hour ago, Gertrude said:

So I'm still mad about Jaime and Brienne. I don't particularly ship them, but wasn't mad to see them get together in the show. I could see it going either way. But I hate that he hurt her and was a coward about it to boot. 

He was obviously only using her to try and feel better about himself, which didn't work. Now, I'm not saying his actions were nice - but it was a small piece of realistic and deep characterization in an otherwise totally dumb show. Also that Brienne fell for it, being as emotionally innocent as she was.

Guys! I've figured out what Qyburn did to those ballistas to make them better . He made them heat seeking! That's why Eurine was able to shoot down Rhaegal from behind a rock/island without actually being able to see him :rolleyes:

Seriously though... How on earth did they manage to shoot down Rhaegal so easily? Without out Dany or the dragons seeing a fleet  of ships. And why couldn't Dany burn a few ships while she was there?

The dragons sure seem pretty useless. I guess Aegon the Conqueror was lucky his enemies never thought of building a ballista or there wouldn't be much conquering. So much for the WMD analogies.

Also, during the final scene they brilliantly park the last dragon on the ground within the sights of like 6 of these bolt throwers. Why didn't Cersei just fire and kill it, winning the war right there right then? How did she know it had plot armor on? Did she read the script?

Annoying that Tyrion says Robert's Rebellion started because Robert couldn't stand the girl he loved not loving him back. He must have spent too much time around Jorah, because Robert didn't know Lyanna loved Rhaegar. He thought she was abducted. And for the billionth time, that wasn't the cause of the war. It was merely an instigating event that through a causal chain with many links eventually led to war. 

Why did Sansa break her vow in order to tell Tyrion, of all people? Did she expect him to turn on Danny? Unlikely. Did she guess he would tell Varys and Varys would turn? I know she's the Smartest Person in the World, but I think that's too clever. 

Did she merely take him for a gossip, and wanted the news spread?

Archived