Rant & Rave Without Repercussion [book and show spoilers]

2 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Hardhome as a spectacle that has nothing to do w/ ASoIaF was great. As a part of ASoIaF it was utterly ridiculous, w/ the Ds usual crappy as fuck storytelling “skills”. WoS was ok? Don’t remember the whole thing. And don’t even know which one was VD, but if it is the one where Dany murders the Khals, then it sucked very hard. 

Hardhome always amused me. In S4 Stannis says he'll have half the wildlings in chains by nightfall, but then in the opening episode of S5, they've all vanished and there's like 12 wildlings at Castle Black. Then all the wildlings - literally all of them - have gone off to Hardhome, sans Mother Mole and her prophecy. And then, they're just there chilling. No tension, no eerie Hardhome background, no surrounded by wights, no resorting to cannibalism.  No tone, basically, because it's symptomatic of how B&W write this stuff: everything has to come out of the blue, everything has to be a 'shock' and appropriate set-up and tone setting makes it 'less' of a shock in their minds. And then there's the battle where the Others mist appears and magically skills about 6000 wildlings in 10 seconds (why does that never happen again?) except now it takes them a good while to kill a few hundred inside the walled village area. Oh and B/W and Sapochnik forgot that wights are a) hard to kill b) fire is the easiest way to kill them. So we have people just taking wights down with ease, and without any fire. And there's that really odd fight scene between Jon and the White Walker where it literally goes out of its way not to take any of the, like, 4 chances it has to kill him.  

But I always felt that episode is a bit overpraised :P and 'Watchers on the Wall' is the better battle episode (thought it still has its own issues, for example I dislike Neil Marshall's schlocky gore choices). 

1 hour ago, athmystikal said:

Compared to everything else the show got wrong, this might be very minor but I still had to vent.

Robert's rebellion did not  happen because Lyanna stark ran off with Rhaegar. Jon Arryn called the banners when the Mad King asked for the heads of Edard and Robert. So the rebellion is not on Robert's hands - it was entirely the Mad King's fault.

I don't think B&W have actually touched one of the ASOIAF books in years. I'm serious. They seem to know very little about the story and its details at this point. 

1 minute ago, Radish Knight said:

Jesus... GRRM save us

Speaking of that moment, was Jon honestly in pain from his mortal wound, or was that fresh from the recent battle? Maybe from when he dove behind a tiny rock to hide from the dragonfire that just blew a giant hole in the castle. 

2 minutes ago, darmody said:

Why did Sansa break her vow in order to tell Tyrion, of all people? Did she expect him to turn on Danny? Unlikely. Did she guess he would tell Varys and Varys would turn? I know she's the Smartest Person in the World, but I think that's too clever. 

Did she merely take him for a gossip, and wanted the news spread?

What is really weird in this ep is that the moment Danny's advisors learn that there is another targ they start thinking about treason... 

Like were they desperate to replace Danny despite telling anyone she is amazing? It is pathetic

And Sansa tells tyrion because she saw that tyrion is afraid of Danny... 

1 hour ago, sweetsunray said:

It's not common actually. There are only 3 historical examples in Westeros:

Visenya wanted to wed Maegor to his niece Rhaena (daughter of Aenys and Velaryon 1st cousin), and the High Septon protested against it.

Two Stark daughters were wed to their half-uncles (the half-brothers of their father), which was borderline, because it was a power grab by the half-uncles.

Didn't also Daeron, the rogue prince, marry Rhaenyra, his niece? All I'm saying is it isn't something foreign for them.  This is something that has happened (in both Stark and Targ history) and is something that they can fall back on if they need to.

The stupid crap I notice now is incidental.  The episode begins with the huge trench surrounding Winterfell having magically disappeared. The huge hole in the front gates and walls of winterfell have magically been repaired. A hundred thousand zombie corpses magically disappeared. Yohn Royce and the chickenshit knights of the Vale magically reappeared. I don't care.

Last week we met the absurd end of Melisandre and the Nights King and that all the buildup, prophesies, threats had been meaningless. That sucked/didn't make sense.

But I had always hoped Sam was somehow special. That Old Town would expose secrets relevant to the white walkers and the rebirth of magic... or something. Instead he was just a nobody who is heading off to have a baby.

I had always hope that Bran was special but nope, just another nobody who will be able to tell better stories than Old Nan. 

I had thought the dire wolves were cool but apparently Jon doesn't

I had thought Tormund was in it to win it but instead he's heading North with the wildling remnants with no food and no shelter..and no brains in the middle of winter..

I had always loved Bronn, only to find that he's really just the sellsword douchbag that he was never portrayed to be. 

etc etc

The rest of the show was just the same silly slop that began last year. I hope a plague hits kings landing and kills both sides. 

The best part of the series for me is that I'm paid up with HBO til the end of May so I won't have to pay a June bill since the last episode is in 2 weeks. 

HOW THE HELL BRONN'S THREAT CAN MAKE SENSE?

He has no way to ensure Tyrion and Jaime will fullfill their promises, but not only that, they have every reason to send men to hunt him down THE SECOND he leaves the room. So for this to work, for his menace to make sense, Bronn would have to be able to infiltrate any castle and kill anyone, which for 7 seasons he was not capable of doing. This is ridiculous.

1 hour ago, Mystical said:

Did Arya even tell anyone she was leaving WF and going to KL? Because then why did Dany and company not just wait until Arya did her stuff?

Jon seems to have completely shed everything Stark. He doesn't care about giving the Northmen some time to recuperate. He goes against his cousin. He rids himself of the literal Stark symbol. Ghost whining when Jon ditched him broke my heart. FU Jon. And the big insult, he left Ghost with Tormund instead of his Stark family like he did in S7. Jon is just annoying the hell out of me this Season. Get a spine for crying out loud, you've been utterly useless all Season. Apparently being Targ whipped does that to you.

I totally thought him saying goodbye to Sam, Tormund and Ghost was basically the cue he was in fact going to get murdered by one of Dany's people.

2 minutes ago, Saturno said:

HOW THE HELL BRONN'S THREAT CAN MAKE SENSE?

He has no way to ensure Tyrion and Jaime will fullfill their promises, but not only that, they have every reason to send men to hunt him down THE SECOND he leaves the room. So for this to work, for his menace to make sense, Bronn would have to be able to infiltrate any castle and kill anyone, which for 7 seasons he was not capable of doing. This is ridiculous.

He's banking on Lannisters paying their debts. 

Bronn hasn't been making sense for seasons. I like him in the books and I liked him in the show too....until he went to Dorne with Jaime. From there on both characters fell apart for me. 

Bronn should be sitting in his castle, gathering sellswords with a bastard stepson named Tyrion. He shouldn't be fighting for the Lannisters still. Cersei should be wanting to kill him just for working for Tyrion. 

You know i would be all for Jon becoming king if D$D had built him up to be worthy of the throne but it really feels like over the years they have done more to hinder Jon's development with everything they themselves introduce. They keep having people say in universe how great he is but us the viewer only see a shell of what could have been. It has really gotten on my nerves that they never actually show Jon being a competent leader of men worthy of praise and admiration who inspires those around him to lay their lives down for a just cause. They just say it.

Seasons 5-7 made me lose all hope we would ever see a proper Jon Snow. 

4 hours ago, Corvinus said:
  •  
  • Turns out Jaime wouldn’t have stood a chance against Bronn even in his prime, because creatively it makes sense to say dumb shit like that. I really don’t have much else to say about him. I’m sure he’ll still end up killing Cersei (unless Arya, of course), and all this was more pointless drama

To be fair, Bronn had a loaded crossbow at point-blank range and Jaime's sword was sheathed. I didn't take Bronn to mean he could have bested Jaime in any form of single combat back in the day. 

28 minutes ago, darmody said:

Annoying that Tyrion says Robert's Rebellion started because Robert couldn't stand the girl he loved not loving him back. He must have spent too much time around Jorah, because Robert didn't know Lyanna loved Rhaegar. He thought she was abducted. And for the billionth time, that wasn't the cause of the war. It was merely an instigating event that through a causal chain with many links eventually led to war. 

Being ASOIAF fan is both amusing and tragic, considering Martin´s lack of result and D&D total lack of trying.

Just now, The Golden Wolf said:

You know i would be all for Jon becoming king if D$D had built him up to be worthy of the throne but it really feels like over the years they have done more to hinder Jon's development with everything they themselves introduce. They keep having people say in universe how great he is but us the viewer only see a shell of what could have been. It has really gotten on my nerves that they never actually show Jon being a competent leader of men worthy of praise and admiration who inspires those around him to lay their lives down for a just cause. They just say it.

Seasons 5-7 made me lose all hope we would ever see a proper Jon Snow. 

I agree with this and I really don't get how the characters in show think Jon is such a great guy and worthy to be King. I mean, what has he done? 

I would also say that they haven't really portrayed him properly from the start. All the way in the first season they would give his lines to Sam or someone else, and even thought that is only small, it changes Jon's character slightly. So instead of Jon coming up with an idea and showing the audience he is smart and a born leader, it's Sam or someone else. And then those changes got bigger and bigger. And then, instead of Jon coming into his own, he is getting saved by Sansa and the Vale army. 

Sorry, Jon's my favourite book character and it's really pissed me off how he has been portrayed in the show. 

Archived