Rant & Rave Without Repercussion [book and show spoilers]

I just kept thinking, if only they would be nice to Dany. They are behaving pretty horribly toward her.

She's not one of us because she's a Targ. But Jon is half Targ. Why not give her a chance? It's just so off.

They make these characters behave in the most impossible ways because the characters are totally plot-driven.

37 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

I know we've been ranting about how awesome Cersei's new scorpions are, but there's also plenty of stupidity there, too. Why completely negate the purpose of tower tops, by building those big wooden platforms? Sure, the weapons are big, but couldn't they hide them somewhere? I don't expect any good tactical acumen from Jon, but maybe he had the foresight to take the trebuchet (dismantled and ready for re-assembly) with him, and he could use them to destroy the scorpions. I don't expect this to happen, but maybe, just maybe.

Also, they negated the gatehouse's crenelations by building a wooden platform on top for the dramatic moment with Missandei. Like, they couldn't just throw her body off the regular wall.

If only they still had a red priestess to magically combust all of that wood. Who needs dragons?

Romance stuff...

The Sansa/Sandor scene, I am going with she's reassuring him that she's OK, since he felt bad for not being able to protect her. I loved the scene apart from the truly atrocious dialogue.

The Jaime/Brienne scene, I'm going to ignore the whole final scene, as I don't see book Jaime behaving that way at all. If the plot necessitated him leaving, they could have written it better.

Plot drives the show characters, so the they make them say and do things that no one would normally say or do. So we are left trying to piece together a coherent story from the scraps.

I don't know what was more absurd:

- A fleet that doesn't spot another fleet, when that fleet has dragons.

- Scorpions that have reload time like a machine gun, and have GPS tracking system on their missiles.

AWFUL SEASON.

9 hours ago, Isildur's Mane said:

Didn't also Daeron, the rogue prince, marry Rhaenyra, his niece? All I'm saying is it isn't something foreign for them.  This is something that has happened (in both Stark and Targ history) and is something that they can fall back on if they need to.

But the Targs invented Exceptionalism for this, and despite that it did not sit well at all. Rhaenyra's father was against this, and married her to a cousin Velaryon instead first. Rhaenyra married her uncle after being widowed without her father's consent. The controversy by then about Rhaenyra's avuncular marriage was more centred around what a throne-greedy man Daeron was than her uncle, but the whole sexual scandal about Rhaenyra long before it was indeed for avuncular reasons. Though Targs had established Exceptionalism for Targs when it came to marriages closer than cousins, Rhaenyra's father was clearly not a proponent of it and drawing the line at cousins. 

So, no, the marriage of Daeron and Rhaenyra cannot be used to claim that avuncular marriages are not uncommon. They are not. Even the two Stark avuncular marriages still are only half-avuncular, since the uncles were half-brothers to the father of the Stark women. So a degree less worse. It also happened at the same time. Both half uncles were brothers to each other and married their nieces who were sisters to one another.

The current Starks are not descendants of these avuncular Stark marriages. Lord Jonnel Stark and Sansa Stark had no issue. His younger brother Edric Stark married to Serena Stark (widow of Jon Umber) and had four children (including twin sons), but none of these ever were lord of Winterfell. Even if Edric and the twin sons died, his two daughters Arrana and Aragelle survived and had issue (Umbers and Cerwyns). These should have been heirs to WF, but were skipped. Instead the third brother became Lord of WF, but was unmarried and had no issue, and he got killed in an uprising by the Skagosi. After him the fourth brother Brandon Stark became lord of WF and he was married to an Alys Karstark. The current Starks descend from this marriage and issue. So, while there were two half-avuncular marriages about a hundred years ago, none of the issue was ever considered to be rightful heirs.

None of these four avuncular marriages are portrayed in a positive light, and always as mercenary attempt to gain power by marrying the rightful heirs. None of them end well at the time they happened.

Frankly, they could have omitted some parts of the awful, meaningless dragon battle scene in episode 3, the dragons in the romantic scene of Jon & Dany in episode 1 and allocated some CGI budget for a proper Ghost farewell. At the very least they could have given us a scene of jon talking to ghost and praising him for being a brave boi during the battle of winterfell. He was just saying goodbye thru Tormund and that to me was silly af. 

I just hope we would get a Nymeria return for the last battle, though I think Nymeria is done for and serve no other purpose than to mirror Arya's journey away from home and remind her of her true identity as a Stark.  

You guys know... after the previous episode I’m so burnt out and so empty I don’t even have the energy or the drive to rant. 

It was a bigass laughstock. 

My particular favorites: 

Goodbye our two orange haired heroes! You two fought so bravely to give the thirty of us a chance to live. Let the thousands of us give a moment of silence to our maybe a hundred fallen. We wouldn’t be here today if it weren’t for their sacrifice. 

The teen drama marathon featuring Mean Girls, American Pie, The Proposal, American Beauty and How To Lose a Guy in 10 Days. 

The art of responsible pet ownership. 

Underwater teleportation and hostage taking 101 - Prof. Seawitch, Ursula 

Mad Psychic Queen Daenerys 

5 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

You guys know... after the previous episode I’m so burnt out and so empty I don’t even have the energy or the drive to rant. 

It was a bigass laughstock. 

My particular favorites: 

Goodbye our two orange haired heroes! You two fought so bravely to give the thirty of us a chance to live. Let the thousands of us give a moment of silence to our maybe a hundred fallen. We wouldn’t be here today if it weren’t for their sacrifice. 

The teen drama marathon featuring Mean Girls, American Pie, The Proposal, American Beauty and How To Lose a Guy in 10 Days. 

The art of responsible pet ownership. 

Underwater teleportation and hostage taking 101 - Prof. Seawitch, Ursula 

Mad Psychic Queen Daenerys 

Have you seen the ratings from this ep in rotten tomatoes and imdb?  67% and 7.4

It is the lowest rank on imdb ever! and second lowest on rotten...

I think this shows that people hated ep 3 so much (that now also has 8.5 on imdb) that they aren t giving excuses for D&D for the rest of the season.

I think if the leaks come true that ep will have 5 or so on imdb...

2 minutes ago, divica said:

Have you seen the ratings from this ep in rotten tomatoes and imdb?  67% and 7.4

I think this shows that people hated ep 3 so much (that now also has 8.5 on imdb) that they aren t giving excuses for D&D for the rest of the season.

Maybe.  I know some reviewers were holding out hope that some type of back story on the NK might still be coming from Branbot, and I think the episode left a bad taste for many, so the days of doing the work the show didn't to make excuses for it are long gone.  Also, another completely absurdly stupid military battle right on top of an entire episode of absurd military tactics and battles...probably a bad idea.  

But, Nutter is going to be the last high point, because the showrunners I think directed the last two episodes so I would guess they go full Bollywood.

13 hours ago, Hound's She-wolf said:

I wanted Missandei to grab Cersei and jump.

Or better yet grabbing Cersei and screaming "Dracarys" whilst falling.

13 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

I just had the worst idea ever.

Once the Bad Pussy becomes Lady of Highgarden she can call herself "The Rosebush"

:D 

12 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

The "best' thing of all. The Three Dragons who were born just at the right time from dead, fossilized eggs through dark means of magic and all that... have been completely pointless so far and now two of them are dead.

This almost makes me weep. Like the biggest dragon-impact was Viseryon being wighted and bringing down the Wall? For real?

No matter how hard dragons have been to kill up until now; Drogon completely healing after being speared all over in Mereen, stabbed all over by wights or taking 100 arrows in the belly - if Bran can pirate a wheelchair why not a freaking dragon-armor?

6 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Oh I remember now... While David and Dan are talking about Dany in Kl they say she has dragons. Humm, guess the show is as forgettable to them as it is to us, since she now only has ONE dragon. :lol:

The only redeeming thing about Rhaegal going down and what book-readers know about dragons and their riders (extremely hard to kill and a warg-like relationship with whomever rides them) Rhaegal might have gone down, but has survived and is heading for Jon.

D&D certainly puts GRRM's taste for cliffhanger-not-deaths to use so I'm hoping its not so stupid as it looks.

53 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

Never forget, rape makes you stronger!

*ENORMOUS FACEPALM*

This doesn't bother me actually. Of course it's not true, I think everyone that has been raped wishes for it to never have happened but that wish only leads you downward and inward. Saying "without it I wouldn't be who I am" isn't exactly untrue but more importantly it's a comfort that you might need to tell yourself (and others).

1 minute ago, Cas Stark said:

Maybe.  I know some reviewers were holding out hope that some type of back story on the NK might still be coming from Branbot, and I think the episode left a bad taste for many, so the days of doing the work the show didn't to make excuses for it are long gone.  Also, another completely absurdly stupid military battle right on top of an entire episode of absurd military tactics and battles...probably a bad idea.  

But, Nutter is going to be the last high point, because the showrunners I think directed the last two episodes so I would guess they go full Bollywood.

No. Next ep is directed by saponchic (whatever his name is).

However we have seen cersei's scorpions on the walls and on euron's boats. I have no idea how they are suposed to have a belivable battle with those things around that kill dragons and destroy ships like it is nothing...

And then we know that danny will kill a bunch of inocents...

we know that jon will meet with cersei (from photos)...

I am starting to see a certain pattern that there will be stupidity in this ep...

3 minutes ago, Sigella said:

The only redeeming thing about Rhaegal going down and what book-readers know about dragons and their riders (extremely hard to kill and a warg-like relationship with whomever rides them) Rhaegal might have gone down, but has survived and is heading for Jon.

IT would be amazing if we see a rhaegal sudenly raising from the water just in time to burn euron to a crisp. 

I would clap

2 minutes ago, divica said:

However we have seen cersei's scorpions on the walls and on euron's boats. I have no idea how they are suposed to have a belivable battle with those things around that kill dragons and destroy ships like it is nothing...

I am starting to see a certain pattern that there will be stupidity in this ep...

Ha.  So another too dark to see anything episode.  That  might be a blessing at this point.

1 hour ago, Red Tiger said:

Never forget, rape makes you stronger!

*ENORMOUS FACEPALM*

Well...

The saying "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" is true. Bad times and bad things happen to people all the time and people are, in fact, very much capable of turning the bad into good by learning and using it to make them stronger.

33 minutes ago, divica said:

Haven’t checked yet, just saw it here on the forum. Best needs ever. Finally their shit is catching up with them.  

24 minutes ago, divica said:

If Sapochnik is involved that means another goddamn battle.... whoo whoo... 

at this point I just want everybody to die. 

Ghost deserved better.

Bronn story was awful.

Dany... it's like they're checking the items of the list - OK, NK dead, time for Daenerys go mad like yesterday.

I swear, if the screw up (more than now) Jaime story I'm definitely done.

Archived