Rant & Rave Without Repercussion [book and show spoilers]

1 minute ago, LadyBlackwater said:

I know I’ve brought this up somewhere, but does anybody else think that at some point the caches of wildfire stashed around Kings landing is going to bite anyone is the ass at some point?

Writers have probably forgotten about it. 

22 minutes ago, Trigger Warning said:

Writers have probably forgotten about it. 

Well that stinks. What a missed opportunity for iron. Somehow Dany takes over Kong’s landing with minimal small folk deaths and then accidentally sets off all the wildfire hot spots and kills them all anyways.

IMDB Ratings:

Lowest S1: 8,7 (E3, Lord Snow.)
Lowest S2: 8,6 (E2, The Night Lands.)
Lowest S3: 8,7 (E3, Dark Wings, Dark Words.)
Lowest S4: 8,8 (E5, First of His Name.)
Lowest S5: 8,1 (E6, Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken.) <- Considered the worst episode in the series pre S8.
Lowest S6: 8,5 (E6/E8 tie, Blood of My Blood / No One.)
Lowest S7: 8,7 (E1, Dragonstone.)

Lowest S8... *drumroll*... E4 "Last of the Starks" with a rating of 7.0!

Yes, 7,0, not 8,0 - 7,0! 
It's over a whole point lower rated than the second lowest rated episode in the whole show.

And now, 12 hours later, it has dropped to 6,8 and is continuing to drop...

Seriously, the best thing to potentially come out of this whole thing is that it might take D&D's credibility with it.

D&D has gotten their fair share of criticism over the years. Some of it is valid, some is nitpicky and some is deliberately obtuse.  
Throughout all of the show, I've been able to look past the mistakes, plot holes and nonsensical writing, mostly thanks to suspension of disbelief but also because no matter how bad the writing has been, I've been able to justify what's happening in my head, even if it doesn't always make complete sense. Episode 6 last season with the wight hunt put this to the test, but I managed to justify what I saw on the screen...if just barely. 

Episode 4 "The Last of the Starks" this season finally broke me.
There's too many plotholes, the writing is too lazy, the plot feels too forced and contrived, and some of the characters don't even behave like they "should" or once did, I feel like I don't even know them anymore. After watching it I felt hollow and sad, even cheated. I've spent so much time watching the show, making predictions and discussing the universe of Planetos, and I absolutely love this show, at least what it once was, but now I can't shake the feeling that it's been all for naught. A waste of time. A cruel joke.

I'm not a book-reader, but I've been thinking about reading them after the show ends. I currently couldn't give a damn about the books.
If I was a book-reader, I would probably feel even more cheated than I currently do, and I probably wouldn't give a damn about the last books either.
No, this episode has single handedly damn near killed my interest in the entire franchise.
Something I thought impossible only a few weeks ago.

For everyone's sake, be it the large fanbase, D&D themselves, GRRM, everyone who's part of creating the show, and the franchise as a whole, I really hope that this episode was "deliberately bad", in order to make the next episode so much better, and that there's a twist (or several) that will ultimately pull the show back on track, right before the end. 

If the show continues down the path that E4 has laid out however (and sadly, this scenario seems more likely at this point), Game of Thrones and aSoIaF in general, won't go out with a bang, nor be remembered as something amazing that even future generations will enjoy and be awestruck by.
It will instead be remembered as something that began great, but ended with a quiet whimper, before ultimately being forgotten...

Fingers crossed that I'm wrong. I have been before...

6 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

I'm still surprised that this episode and not the show destroying ep. 3 that gutted huge portions of the story is the one that has taken the massive nose dive.  Is it just because "Dany" is the favorite?  No one cared all the times Jon was made a failure/loser/dumbass, but 1/2 an episode of people being mean to Dany and all of a sudden there is a bandwagon for the show is ruined?  Seems weird.  I'm glad, it's years over due but still seems weird.

The way these things work, people treat the next episode the way they felt about the previous one. Because they don't have the feelings until they see the episode, and by the time the next one comes they know better. 

Take the Last Jedi (please). It didn't make as much as Force Awakens, but it was successful because people liked Force Awakens and were hoping for more of the same. But Last Jedi was a disaster, and spurned moviegoers took it out on the next Star Wars movie: Solo. Which I haven't seen. I don't imagine it's very good, but it could've been a masterpiece; the Last Jedi still would've hurt it. 

12 minutes ago, MinscS2 said:

And now, 12 hours later, it has dropped to 6,8 and is continuing to drop...

Seriously, the best thing to potentially come out of this whole thing is that it might take D&D's credibility with it.

D&D has gotten their fair share of criticism over the years. Some of it is valid, some is nitpicky and some is deliberately obtuse.  
Throughout all of the show, I've been able to look past the mistakes, plot holes and nonsensical writing, mostly thanks to suspension of disbelief but also because no matter how bad the writing has been, I've been able to justify what's happening in my head, even if it doesn't always make complete sense. Episode 6 last season with the wight hunt put this to the test, but I managed to justify what I saw on the screen...if just barely. 

Episode 4 "The Last of the Starks" this season finally broke me.
There's too many plotholes, the writing is too lazy, the plot feels too forced and contrived, and some of the characters don't even behave like they "should" or once did, I feel like I don't even know them anymore. After watching it I felt hollow and sad, even cheated. I've spent so much time watching the show, making predictions and discussing the universe of Planetos, and I absolutely love this show, at least what it once was, but now I can't shake the feeling that it's been all for naught. A waste of time. A cruel joke.

I'm not a book-reader, but I've been thinking about reading them after the show ends. I currently couldn't give a damn about the books.
If I was a book-reader, I would probably feel even more cheated than I currently do, and I probably wouldn't give a damn about the last books either.
No, this episode has single handedly damn near killed my interest in the entire franchise. Something I thought impossible only a few weeks ago.

For everyone's sake, be it the large fanbase, D&D themselves, GRRM, everyone who's part of creating the show, and the franchise as a whole, I really hope that this episode was "deliberately bad", in order to make the next episode so much better, and that there's a twist (or several) that will ultimately pull the show back on track, right before the end. 

If the show continues down the path that E4 has laid out however (and sadly, this scenario seems more likely at this point), Game of Thrones and aSoIaF in general, won't go out with a bang, nor be remembered as something amazing that even future generations will enjoy and be awestruck by.
It will instead be remembered as something that began great, but ended with a quiet whimper, before ultimately being forgotten...

Fingers crossed that I'm wrong. I have been before...

I do agree with some of that for sure. I do however think GRRM will step up his game now and make it amazing. The show was spot on(minus several book characters that aren’t in the show) until about season 3 or 4. He is an amazingly descriptive writer and so we know what makes them tick, the feelings of how they are feeling and any oven moment. That you get so lost in it you can see it all firming in your mind. If you read the books, you will see the true beauty of it all. You won’t be sorry my friend. 

1 hour ago, LadyBlackwater said:

Well that stinks. What a missed opportunity for iron. Somehow Dany takes over Kong’s landing with minimal small folk deaths and then accidentally sets off all the wildfire hot spots and kills them all anyways.

This is my prediction.

4 hours ago, Simon Steele said:

this might be true, but Jon doesn't have dragons, and all of this stuff was done in secret. So...it seems pretty convoluted to me, and really, out of sync with Tyrion and Vaerys to think "Oh, he's the real heir." It's sloppy writing, I'd say. The point about Gendry is not what we know as readers to be true, but it seems equally plausible someone could produce a false diary that says Robert secretly annulled his marriage with Cersei (and never told her) and married Gendry's mother making Gendry the heir to the iron throne. And didn't Gendry get legitimated and given Storm's End? Doesn't that make him the next Baratheon/AKA new King of Westeros? 

Varys and Tyrion do believe Sansa, because it makes sense when you put together Jon's age and supposed origins with the circumstances of Ned and his sister at the Tower of Joy, which is common knowledge. Plus the fact that the dragon let him ride it. 

Think about it this way. Westerosi don't automatically support Danny even though they trust she is the daughter of the king who was stabbed in the back and usurped. That king was crazy, anyway, and a war was fought to depose him. Those who want her on the throne do so because of her claim and her dragons and her armies, alliances, personal qualities, etc.

People could believe or not believe Jon is the trueborn son of Rhaegar Targaryen. That would be only part of a packaged deal. War hero, honest man, handsome, stupid, Ned Stark's nephew, Lord Commander of the Nights Watch before he abandoned it, immortal, etc. Those are the many reasons Varys appears to prefer Jon at this point. Mainly though it's distrusting Danny.

The fact that such a claim could be fraudulent is important, but not the deciding factor. Because pretty much everyone but Tywin knew Joffrey was a bastard and unfit to sit on the throne. 

3 hours ago, divica said:

Wait for the bells. People will go balistic...

I read about that bells thing earlier. Just WTF? Are the showrunners, who are writing these episodes, just so dryly out of ideas that they are continuing to backmine previous script details? This ‘ring your head like a bell’ thing has been used (differently) twice already. 

Anyway, this might be true, but Jon doesn't have dragons, and all of this stuff was done in secret. So...it seems pretty convoluted to me, and really, out of sync with Tyrion and Vaerys to think "Oh, he's the real heir." It's sloppy writing, I'd say. The point about Gendry is not what we know as readers to be true, but it seems equally plausible someone could produce a false diary that says Robert secretly annulled his marriage with Cersei (and never told her) and married Gendry's mother making Gendry the heir to the iron throne. And didn't Gendry get legitimated and given Storm's End? Doesn't that make him the next Baratheon/AKA new King of Westeros? 

Totally weird coincidence buy I had very similar questions about Gendry pop into my head earlier. My question was more along the lines of did Dany unknowingly bump Gendry ‘Rivers’ (<_<) up ahead of her in the Westerosi line of succession? I am sure nothing about this will come in to play and will be lampshaded with only two episodes left.

Best season evah! 

3 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Totally weird coincidence buy I had very similar questions about Gendry pop into my head earlier. My question was more along the lines of did Dany unknowingly bump Gendry ‘Rivers’ (<_<) up ahead of her in the Westerosi line of inheritance? I am sure nothing about this will come in to play and will be lampshaded with only two episodes left.

Best season evah! 

Yeah, all of this thinking about succession is to say that we are doing more work on this than DnD. Likely, Dany made a real contender for the throne out of Gendry. Likely, no one on the writing team realized this happened. I mean the Starbucks cup, "Rivers," and...everything else...they're sooooo sloppy. I don't know why I get some perverse joy out of this sinking ship. 

48 minutes ago, LadyBlackwater said:

I do agree with some of that for sure. I do however think GRRM will step up his game now and make it amazing. The show was spot on(minus several book characters that aren’t in the show) until about season 3 or 4. He is an amazingly descriptive writer and so we know what makes them tick, the feelings of how they are feeling and any oven moment. That you get so lost in it you can see it all firming in your mind. If you read the books, you will see the true beauty of it all. You won’t be sorry my friend. 

I think if GOT the TV show crashes and burns, it might be the one thing that motivates GRRM to not want the only ending of his saga to be the TV show.  That's my silver lining.

12 hours ago, Ser Yorick Ampersand said:

Missansei: "Our people are peaceful"

Also Missandei: "DRACARYS!"

:bs:

At the time, I was OK with this line. But then I thought about it and you're right, it's bullshit. Not DRACARYS, but "our people are peaceful". If it was meant to show that Missandei herself was peaceful, it's an obvious lie. She hasn't been peaceful for several seasons now. If she was truly peaceful after her years of slavery, she would have a problem following Dany. She doesn't blink at what Dany does to achieve her goals. If the 'peaceful' line was meant to make DRACARYS more powerful, then it's a fail.

The only way that line works is if Missi meant living there would be a big change, it still fails, because Grey Worm vows to protect her, implying violence. Would that be acceptable to her people? There is no situation in which that line works logically. It's just a cheap heartstring pull for GW and M.

And, btw, I had a small amount of money on Missi dying before GW in the Battle. I thought it would be in the crypts, but this works too. :) Yay me.

3 hours ago, LadyBlackwater said:

Somehow it lasted through Robert and Joffrey's reigns without anyone even knowing it was there. 

2 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Thank you so much for posting this!

Noob r/ question:  I can't quite figure out the r/ posting system as I've maybe made 5 posts over there.  But when I check back to see if I've been replied to, it doesn't make sense to me where to even find my prior posts in which part of what thread and the dates aren't even in order and HELP PLEASE!  (The r/ you linked looks a little more organized to me than the threads i've read)

1 hour ago, Gertrude said:

At the time, I was OK with this line. But then I thought about it and you're right, it's bullshit. Not DRACARYS, but "our people are peaceful". If it was meant to show that Missandei herself was peaceful, it's an obvious lie. She hasn't been peaceful for several seasons now. If she was truly peaceful after her years of slavery, she would have a problem following Dany. She doesn't blink at what Dany does to achieve her goals. If the 'peaceful' line was meant to make DRACARYS more powerful, then it's a fail.

The only way that line works is if Missi meant living there would be a big change, it still fails, because Grey Worm vows to protect her, implying violence. Would that be acceptable to her people? There is no situation in which that line works logically. It's just a cheap heartstring pull for GW and M.

And, btw, I had a small amount of money on Missi dying before GW in the Battle. I thought it would be in the crypts, but this works too. :) Yay me.

She also dates/twerks/dryhumps the commander of the most violent, non-peaceful group anywhere!

Congrats on the bet....so are we going for drinks or what?  After reading what people are saying is gonna happen in the last 2 eps, I'll need a lot of drinks.

4 hours ago, LadyBlackwater said:

I know I’ve brought this up somewhere, but does anybody else think that at some point the caches of wildfire stashed around Kings landing is going to bite anyone is the ass at some point?

I figure she wants to piss off Dany enough that she burns shit with Drogon, unknowingly setting off metric tons of wildfire and taking the blame away from Cersei.

Archived