Rant & Rave Without Repercussion [book and show spoilers]

5 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Just saying, winter in this show has been only talked about, not really shown. King's Landing looks fine, for example. At Winterfell, there's some snow on the ground. Isn't winter maybe over now, that the White Walkers are gone?

No, the winter lasts for generations, at least in the novels. I don't think it's tied to the White Walkers, it's the way the planet slowly turns around the sun. George R.R. Martin has been asked about this, and it is a round planet he says, and as I recall he never hinted on the reason being anything other than the planet moving really slowly in its orbit.

3 hours ago, Gertrude said:

Hey, I only made 2 bucks. That's not even enough to start getting me drunk enough to forgot this mess. Sorry, you're on your own.

fail

In a conversation with a friend we realized that they pretty much assassinated Dany's character by now. That scene of her whining at Jon and begging him to keep his identity secret goes against all she stands for.
1)Truth and Identity: To Daenerys true names and identity are of extremely high importance, that's one reason why she drags her million titles everywhere. She would not ask someone else to hide their true identity for her benifit.
2)Family: At least in the books, Dany often thinks of her family and how alone she is without them, regretting that she never knew any of them except her brother. And even after all he has done to her, she still names a dragon after him. Daenerys should be happy to suddenly have a nephew.
3)Her charm and leadership skills: Daenerys ability to win over large groups of people as well as individuals with her charm and intelligence is a core trait and strenght of hers, she should have used that during the feast.

It would have been much more in character for Daenerys to introduce Jon as her nephew and heir and declaring how side, by side, they will retake their throne.
After she has won she can take Jon/Aegon as an co-regent and heir. Daenerys doesn't have to produce an heir or see her dynasty be stillborn anymore. The North would have been happy, the Realm would have been happy, Daenerys would have been happy. Everybody would have been happy.
But nooooooooooooooooooooooooo....

3 hours ago, Gertrude said:

Hey, I only made 2 bucks. That's not even enough to start getting me drunk enough to forgot this mess. Sorry, you're on your own.

Ok, tried to post a clever pic, not sure how to properly attach a pic on this forum apparently, failed miserably and will show myself out.

9 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I just read it. I will be so very sad if it’s real. Why would bells make Dany go mad? What does she have flashbacks of the tiny bells that rang in the braids of her sun and stars? And I know saying it is grasping at straws but it’s the only connection to bells so far as I can tell lol :dunno:

15 hours ago, Daemon The Black Dragon said:

This whole season has had awful writing. D&D decided to have everyone on Dany side forget about Euron and his fleet. Seriously they're all going to forget about a enemy fleet that ambushed your fleet, not once but twice and now a third time. 

The enemy fleet that not only has ambushed them multiple times doing more destruction to her forces then the Night King apparently, but the enemy fleet that was actually part of the discussion during their "strategy" meeting.

5 minutes ago, LadyBlackwater said:

I just read it. I will be so very sad if it’s real. Why would bells make Dany go mad? What does she have flashbacks of the tiny bells that rang in the braids of her sun and stars? And I know saying it is grasping at straws but it’s the only connection to bells so far as I can tell lol :dunno:

I read in those comments that people think:

Spoiler

that the source mistook Dany for Cersei because of the shame bell...

4 minutes ago, dannyk65 said:

I read in those comments that people think:

Hide contents

that the source mistook Dany for Cersei because of the shame bell...

Agree, it would make much more sense. Now if only the writers had a jon snow of their own to influence THEM!

If we are making comparisons on Dany and the madness of her family, remember when Dany are the horse heart? Viserys is looking around the room and realizing “they love her, the people love her”. It scared him. Anybody else seeing that in Danys face when she realizes how much the people love Jon? Da da daaaaaaaaa. Uh oh

14 minutes ago, LadyBlackwater said:

If we are making comparisons on Dany and the madness of her family, remember when Dany are the horse heart? Viserys is looking around the room and realizing “they love her, the people love her”. It scared him. Anybody else seeing that in Danys face when she realizes how much the people love Jon? Da da daaaaaaaaa. Uh oh

Brilliant

1 hour ago, Orphalesion said:

In a conversation with a friend we realized that they pretty much assassinated Dany's character by now. That scene of her whining at Jon and begging him to keep his identity secret goes against all she stands for.
1)Truth and Identity: To Daenerys true names and identity are of extremely high importance, that's one reason why she drags her million titles everywhere. She would not ask someone else to hide their true identity for her benifit.
2)Family: At least in the books, Dany often thinks of her family and how alone she is without them, regretting that she never knew any of them except her brother. And even after all he has done to her, she still names a dragon after him. Daenerys should be happy to suddenly have a nephew.
3)Her charm and leadership skills: Daenerys ability to win over large groups of people as well as individuals with her charm and intelligence is a core trait and strenght of hers, she should have used that during the feast.

It would have been much more in character for Daenerys to introduce Jon as her nephew and heir and declaring how side, by side, they will retake their throne.
After she has won she can take Jon/Aegon as an co-regent and heir. Daenerys doesn't have to produce an heir or see her dynasty be stillborn anymore. The North would have been happy, the Realm would have been happy, Daenerys would have been happy. Everybody would have been happy.

Pretty much. Daenerys turn into darkness was so sharp and sudden that it was immersion-breaking. 

They (D&D) evidently need her to become a villain for whatever contrived reason, and this was the best thing they could come up with. 
Can't have Daenerys make rash and logical choices with only 2 episodes to go, because that would make it even harder to explain why she's suddenly acting so out of character all of a sudden. She's probably not pregnant either, that was just a red herring and a big fuck you to both Daenerys and the fans. 

And don't get me started on the whole feast-scene, where Daenerys, the mother of dragons, savior of Winterfell, is sitting alone and isolated, without anyone in the entire hall showing a remote interest in getting to know this extraordinary woman. Heck, even the tavern-wenches got more more attention than she does.

The entire plot to have Daenerys go berserk with only 2 episodes left is so contrived and forced that I feel like I'm watching a different show. 

She should've died saving Jon, or died as a necessary sacrifice to end the NK. At least then she would've died as she lived, and her death would've made some sort of sense. What we seem to get now, is simply a cruel slaughter of her entire 7+ season long story-arc, without the resemblance to a satisfying conclusion. Everything about her arc at this point seems pointless. Remove her from the story altogether and nothing would've really changed, other than the NK being alive (but still stuck) north of the wall.

TBH, the fact that all the leaks I've seen so far all are tragic, gloomy and void of logic (regardless of what person the leaks refer to), makes me wonder if it's not all just a ruse from the show makers, and a way to create hype and tension before the conclusion of the story. 

2 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

It’s very sad, now Dany has joined several other characters that have been annihilated. Both previously and during this final series. Because Jon is not Jon, Arya is not Arya, Sansa is not Sansa, and don’t even get me started on Jaime. 

But especially w/ Dany, the way they’re handling this “twist” is really horrible. They are turning her into Viserys, basically. It does put into context Clarke’s comment, “knowing that is going to be a lasting flavor in someone’s mouth of what Daenerys is ...."

Everyting has to be an asspull w/ these guys. They can’t handle anything other than that, and even their asspulls are shoddy and dumb. 

May 19, May 19, May 19...

3 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

It’s very sad, now Dany has joined several other characters that have been annihilated. Both previously and during this final series. Because Jon is not Jon, Arya is not Arya, Sansa is not Sansa, and don’t even get me started on Jaime. 

Hahaha, so true...Bran is not Bran... The Last of Starks...

1 hour ago, MinscS2 said:

Pretty much. Daenerys turn into darkness was so sharp and sudden that it was immersion-breaking. 

They (D&D) evidently need her to become a villain for whatever contrived reason, and this was the best thing they could come up with. 
Can't have Daenerys make rash and logical choices with only 2 episodes to go, because that would make it even harder to explain why she's suddenly acting so out of character all of a sudden. She's probably not pregnant either, that was just a red herring and a big fuck you to both Daenerys and the fans. 

And don't get me started on the whole feast-scene, where Daenerys, the mother of dragons, savior of Winterfell, is sitting alone and isolated, without anyone in the entire hall showing a remote interest in getting to know this extraordinary woman. Heck, even the tavern-wenches got more more attention than she does.

The entire plot to have Daenerys go berserk with only 2 episodes left is so contrived and forced that I feel like I'm watching a different show. 

She should've died saving Jon, or died as a necessary sacrifice to end the NK. At least then she would've died as she lived, and her death would've made some sort of sense. What we seem to get now, is simply a cruel slaughter of her entire 7+ season long story-arc, without the resemblance to a satisfying conclusion. Everything about her arc at this point seems pointless. Remove her from the story altogether and nothing would've really changed, other than the NK being alive (but still stuck) north of the wall.

TBH, the fact that all the leaks I've seen so far all are tragic, gloomy and void of logic (regardless of what person the leaks refer to), makes me wonder if it's not all just a ruse from the show makers, and a way to create hype and tension before the conclusion of the story. 

you could be right but what worries me as I have grasped for some hope is the actors response to the finale - Emelia had to take some time to process it all, Gwendoline says we are all gonna need therapy...it all points to what we are all fearing

GRRM: Don't change the story just because one person in a thousand made a prediction that was is right, as the new solution will not be satisfactory. Subversion for subversion's sake will surprise the reader, but ruin the series. 

D&D is doing exactly what GRRM is telling people not to do, and as a result, we can clearly see how they're essentially ruining the entire show at this point. 

Edit: Just noticed that this had been posted earlier today. Ah well, here it is again; proof that D&D have no clue what they're doing. 

4 minutes ago, Sir Hedge of Hog said:

you could be right but what worries me as I have grasped for some hope is the actors response to the finale - Emelia had to take some time to process it all, Gwendoline says we are all gonna need therapy...it all points to what we are all fearing

I am literally expecting the worst (which has put me in a strange state of depressed apathy), but hoping for the best.

But yeah, no S8 at all would've been better than what we're seemingly getting.

Archived