Rant & Rave Without Repercussion [book and show spoilers]

3 minutes ago, MinscS2 said:

I am literally expecting the worst (which has put me in a strange state of depressed apathy), but hoping for the best.

But yeah, no S8 at all would've been better than what we're seemingly getting.

Another show that started with great expectations and turned into killing itself and the fan base. Call it because of surprise, because DD are useless, because the major plot points suck themeselves. 

If Dany was meant to become another Vicerion we have seen the play. And we have seen it again with Stannis. 

If John was to take the mountains he should have stayed at the wall. 

And Bran should have died at the cave, useless. 

3 hours ago, LadyBlackwater said:

I just read it. I will be so very sad if it’s real. Why would bells make Dany go mad? What does she have flashbacks of the tiny bells that rang in the braids of her sun and stars? And I know saying it is grasping at straws but it’s the only connection to bells so far as I can tell lol :dunno:

LOL  Emilia Clarke will now be playing the role of Jon Connington as well as Daenarys ?  Ah, The Battle of The Bells, haunting him still.  It's only fair, Maisie is playing Arya, Lady Stoneheart and some of the Brotherhood w/o Banners, Lord Manderly, and Azor Ahai.  Connington's nightmarish Bells?  LOL  

1 hour ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

LOL  Emilia Clarke will now be playing the role of Jon Connington as well as Daenarys ?  Ah, The Battle of The Bells, haunting him still.  It's only fair, Maisie is playing Arya, Lady Stoneheart and some of the Brotherhood w/o Banners, Lord Manderly, and Azor Ahai.  Connington's nightmarish Bells?  LOL  

Yup. Makes sense if you don't think about it:rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

I was thinking of the Mountain going berserk in the books when I heard about the bells lol

5 hours ago, Jarl Halstein said:

No, the winter lasts for generations, at least in the novels. I don't think it's tied to the White Walkers, it's the way the planet slowly turns around the sun. George R.R. Martin has been asked about this, and it is a round planet he says, and as I recall he never hinted on the reason being anything other than the planet moving really slowly in its orbit.

That's not correct. Martin has said several times that the explanation for season length is based in fantasy, not science, and it will be revealed in the last book.

https://nobodysuspectsthebutterfly.tumblr.com/post/108822950118/things-grrm-has-said-about-the-seasons-of-the

5 hours ago, Jarl Halstein said:

5. All the plotting starting right after the battle is unrealistic. Sansa doesn't NEED to plot against Dany. The North will be autonomous while it sits out the long Winter, and while everyone tries to piece the land together after the drawn-out war. Just send some taxes south as usual. Why do you need to start a war against Dany?

A very good point Ser. In harsh winters, it has been the Iron Throne that sent food to the north. After the Dance, the Iron Throne was in no shape to help and Cregan Stark took out a loan from the Iron Bank to feed his people. The North has now just lost a number of people in the war for the dawn 2, there are fewer Lords (Umbers and Boltons are gone, maybe the Mormonts as well), and their surviving small folk will have to be looked  after directly by Winterfell, whose stocks have been depleted from feeding a huge army and 2 Dragons. This is no time for conspiring against the Iron Throne, you need their help!

Apologies if this thought has been posted, I haven't read all 36 pages (I got to page 11 and got too upset :P), but:

They are trying to show us that Sansa has grown stronger, more independent, and smarter as a result of the extremely awful things done to her WHILE AT THE SAME TIME showing us that Jamie has stayed weak and learned nothing despite all the selflessness he has shown and the love he has been given.

This really bothers me. The Sansa part is obvious, but the Jamie part is really bad too, especially when you juxtapose it with Sansa. Jamie is supposed to show the most growth as an ethical person. A big part of his identity is that he has never been independent. He was first born, a preternaturally gifted fighter, handsome, all of which meant that his father and the King used him as a pawn. Jamie was never able to develop his own identity or ethic, and his only source of closeness was his toxic relationship to his sister. Then, the one time he acted correctly is when he killed the King, which becomes the thing everyone hates him for so he continues to not care about doing the right thing. 

Through his experience in the Riverlands, namely losing his sword hand and his identity as a super soldier, and due to developing a relationship with Brienne i.e. a female other than his insanely insular sister, he begins become the man he never thought he could be. He sees that Brienne is a true knight despite not technically being able to be one (although he does knight her later), and she inspires him time and time again. Jamie WANTS to be good, but he's never done anything good or selfless, except save King's Landing which, as mentioned, is seen as his most evil act. One of the most powerful scenes in the books for me (can't remember if it's in the show, even if it is we obviously don't have his POV) is when Jamie is writing in the White Book about himself and he thinks that he wanted to be Arthur Dayne, but became the Smiling Knight.

Why, WHY, tear Jamie off this path to finally becoming a good person, what he wanted to be before he was used as a puppet? Him atoning for all the mistakes he has made by finally living a virtuous life? What artistic purpose does it serve to have him revert to a blubbering, Cersei-loving fool? What are D&D trying to reveal to us about man? Perhaps he redeems himself (again? sorta?) when he gets to King's Landing, but at the moment this is by far the worst characterization in this show, which is saying a lot.

Maybe if he got raped he'd be a better person.

54 minutes ago, MinscS2 said:

And now the rating is down to 6,7... 

I find that rating completly astonishing.

Was this ep so much worse than the other eps this season? or even season 7?

And I am not saying that the rating should be higher. I am saying that a lot of episodes should have lower ratings.

3 minutes ago, divica said:

I find that rating completly astonishing.

Was this ep so much worse than the other eps this season? or even season 7?

And I am not saying that the rating should be higher. I am saying that a lot of episodes should have lower ratings.

I think many people loved the show so much that they were willing to forgive a lot of stupid stuff for a single loot train scene. Now that their favourite characters (everyone's pretty much) are not as much killed as ruined, they are becoming disillusioned.

1 minute ago, Dragons 7th Eye said:

Many people loved the show so much that they were willing to forgive a lot of stupid stuff for a single loot train scene. Now that their favourite characters (everyone's pretty much) are not as much killed as ruined, they are becoming disillusioned.

It is just strange how people's perception can change so fast. For example, if people used logic to rate the BOB it should also have a pretty low ranking. The idiocy present in that episode and battle tattics used  re really bad!

Just now, divica said:

It is just strange how people's perception can change so fast. For example, if people used logic to rate the BOB it should also have a pretty low ranking. The idiocy present in that episode and battle tattics used  re really bad!

Again, I think that people still had a bit room in their cups for more nonsense at that point.

Fan favourites like for example Brienne and Bronn were demolished (as characters and stories) in this episode. Many people that really liked them will suddenly open their eyes and see how completely nonsensical everything has been for a long time now. Then there is the Imperial I mean the Iron fleet jumping in, immediately raising shields and starting to laser down a dragon.

This really was a terrible episode in so many different ways, that I would not be surprised if a lot of people that were able to justify things this far simple ran out of desire to do so at the same time.

3 hours ago, Sir Hedge of Hog said:

you could be right but what worries me as I have grasped for some hope is the actors response to the finale - Emelia had to take some time to process it all, Gwendoline says we are all gonna need therapy...it all points to what we are all fearing

Gulp

So much for bittersweet huh?:crying:

Dipshit & Dingbat obviously must think bittersweet means a double dose of shock and awe subversion for the sake of it.

"Hey, you'll thought it was the butler, and btw the butler is an alien from Planet Zork with a fascinating back story, but we won't use any of that to tie up things up, no, the killer was the clapperboard guy, who was foreshadowed by the Starbucks cup!

How smart was that?!!"

8 minutes ago, #FreeGhost said:

I honestly have higher hope for this spinoff:

https://imgur.com/K964qUM

I am happy Ghost left all this mess behind him and went away w/ Tormund. And I don’t even like show!Tormund but anything is better than that dumbass not-Jon. 

29 minutes ago, #FreeGhost said:

I honestly have higher hope for this spinoff:

https://imgur.com/K964qUM

I'd rather watch Tormund&Ghost rather than the rest of the knuckleheads in GOT.

Let's hope D&D have nothing to do with this spinoff. In that case it might have a chance of being a decent tv show.

I just read EWwwww’s review of the last episode. I’ve been sort of avoiding it, because I was pretty sure it was going to be endless praise as usual from Hibberd. And yes, it is. His review is as spineless as the Ds writing/plots. Either that, or I want me some of whatever it is he was on when watching/writing the review. :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Ser Hedge said:

Dipshit & Dingbat obviously must think bittersweet means a double dose of shock and awe subversion for the sake of it.

Wait a sec.... Would a double shock be like a double negative and cancel itself out and in the end we get not shocking at all? :blink:

Of course it won't be shocking...because it'll be horrible, exactly like everyone is beginning to expect. :D

Archived