Rant & Rave Without Repercussion [book and show spoilers]

1 minute ago, Nami said:

Not to mention the series started to drift away from the books in season 5. So just because the unsullied got pissed off this season, doesn't mean suddenly it's GRRM fault that the series went to shit because he didn't finish the books. D&D started making shit up and messing up the story in season 5! Even if the book got release in 2016/17, the damage was already done.

It's blindingly obvious that without the books as a blueprint for how the various twists and turns happened, that the showrunners aren't capable of writing a show where the shocks are grounded.  So, again, it seems obvious if they had the last 2 books to work from that there is no reason why the show wouldn't have been able to maintain the same quality of seasons 1-4.  The show declined in direct proportion to it's lack of source material and reliance on the showrunners creating the plot and story.

Just now, Cas Stark said:

It's blindingly obvious that without the books as a blueprint for how the various twists and turns happened, that the showrunners aren't capable of writing a show where the shocks are grounded.  So, again, it seems obvious if they had the last 2 books to work from that there is no reason why the show wouldn't have been able to maintain the same quality of seasons 1-4.  The show declined in direct proportion to it's lack of source material and reliance on the showrunners creating the plot and story.

Season 5 was the last two books combined, and they changed many things while still having the source material.

4 minutes ago, Nami said:

Not to mention the series started to drift away from the books in season 5. So just because the unsullied got pissed off this season, doesn't mean suddenly it's GRRM fault that the series went to shit because he didn't finish the books. D&D started making shit up and messing up the story in season 5! Even if the books were released in 2016/17, the damage was already done.

For me it goes back even further. The D’s made unnecessary changes to the prologue, Ned’s reaction to going to Kings Landing, and so much more in season 1 that the butterfly effects are now taking over. 

Season 3 was when it really went off rails. 

Just now, The Fattest Leech said:

For me it goes back even further. The D’s made unnecessary changes to the prologue, Ned’s reaction to going to Kings Landing, and so much more in season 1 that the butterfly effects are now taking over. 

Season 3 was when it really went off rails. 

I was being generous. Imo the cracks begin to show in season 4. Season 5 was an abomination (never forget the bad pussy/Dorne).
I don't really remember any big changes in its first 3 seasons, but in season 4 the cracks started to show because the writers thought they could write better than GRRM and started to fuck shit up.

7 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Sorry for the double post, but here's this to add -- since for some reason the forum won't allow me to edit my first one:

In the meantime, every season of GOT was more popular than the season before.  To howl about HBO doing nothing -- for grief's sake, why in the world would they think they needed to interfere with what clearly was working for them as a huge success?  To say otherwise simply demonstrates that the person saying so known nothing jon snow of how networks and productions work, and the agreements between networks and a production company either.

P.S.  Also -- please spell 'writing' correctly.  Writing is writing, not writting.

I think it is highly debatable. People have been raising issues with GOT writing for years. And even the ratings in s5 and s6 were pretty low for some episodes...

And in season 7 we had our first big failure of GOT with beyond the Wall that should have been another of the epic eps of GOT and failed to deliver...

But nothing can justify HBO aproving this season. It should have been clear it wouldn t be well acepted and if the ending is really bad all the prequels they are planning will suffer.

If D&D didn t want to spend more time on GOT they should have hired people to take over the project… 

10 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

The show declined in direct proportion to it's lack of source material and reliance on the showrunners creating the plot and story.

THIS is the problem. If the showrunners couldn t do it then HBO should have made them hire someone who could write a decent story.

People saying that the show sucks because GRRM didn t write the books or dedicated more of his time to the show is a wrong of thinking.

1 minute ago, divica said:

I think it is highly debatable. People have been raising issues with GOT writing for years. And even the ratings in s5 and s6 were pretty low for some episodes...

And in season 7 we had our first big failure of GOT with beyond the Wall that should have been another of the epic eps of GOT and failed to deliver...

But nothing can justify HBO aproving this season. It should have been clear it wouldn t be well acepted and if the ending is really bad all the prequels they are planning will suffer.

If D&D didn t want to spend more time on GOT they should have hired people to take over the project… 

Yes.  Last year for the first time there was significant criticism of the show abandoning it's formerly intricate plotting in favor of spectacle, even though, they did that since at least seaon 6, there was criticism of the wight hunt as a dumb segment, running to Eastwatch, etc. and criticism of the way the show robbed Dany of her military superiority.

Thus, HBO would have been prudent to take a little more interest in the writing to ensure that the legacy of their biggest, most popular and most lucrative show ever wouldn't have a terrible final season that robs the story of any rewatchability.  If people don't want to rewatch it, they won't be buying the blue ray versions.  The fact that this year the show is more poorly written, poorly paced, poorly structured than ever, especially with what looks like a very unsatisfying ending for the main characters, some of that blame has to go to HBO.

33 minutes ago, divica said:

But it had great audience numbers, and it drove subscribers to HBO.  That is all that matters.

And, as far as this viewer is concerned, everything that went wrong in the HBO series was because in the first place the books themselves were seat of the pants, not clearly outlined or thought out -- which was not allowed to be the case by anyone -- except the editors, but hey! they made mad money for the publisher when publishing was really cratering -- and that is all that matters, just like subscription numbers for HBO are all that matters.

Quality is NEVER the point, except incidentally, sometimes.

That people are only now noticing the train and ship wrecks embedded in both books and HBO seasons -- and are infuriated -- it's rather like a kid too old to be excused for such behavior, having a meltdown in Wal Mart because the thing he wanted isn't there.

It's true that the last seasons were bad, and it's true that the show became more and more popular with each season. Unfortunately HBO is only interested in the latter. Ratings and profit. Besides, the show kept getting awards for no reason (but we all know how irrevelant awards can be) which probably made them even more pleased because the show had both ratings and prestige~.

2 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

One more recap of episode 4 before we tear a little more of the band-aid off tonight? 

Here ya go... 

https://www.funnyordie.com/2019/5/7/18531449/gay-of-thrones-s8-e4-the-ass-of-the-starks-with-kumail-nanjiani

I'm still watching but I had to LOLOL at Baby Kill Bill for Arya.  I haven't seen one of these vids in a long time, thank you. 

ETA:  LOL  Poor Ghost on a pile of corpses.......will someone just pet me?? 

I can imagine they set an initial 8 season limit... which straight away puts pressure on the writers to deliver. Perhaps Amazon or Netflix would have been a more suited platform to stream the series? Potentially the episode allocation would have been better. The sickening thing is that this should be the greatest think ever to be broadcast on TV. It’s in danger of drifting into nothing, we can only hope GRRM plans for the story going forward haven’t suffered as a result! 

Ahh, so many good meme's.

"Me when Margaery died. :angry: "
"Me when I realized she died before having her character destroyed like everyone else. ^_^"

Would be funny if it wasn't true...

I'll tell you what's pissing me off the most. These moronic showrunners are handling this in the worst possible way. Euron not reacting to Tyrion's knowledge? 'Oh, he's just not paying attention'. Daenerys not seeing a fleet from the goddamn air? 'Oh, she just forgot about the fleet that destroyed her naval forces'.

And their latest little ploy.

'WAAAAAAAA! All you critics complaining about our failures to depict basic logic are just mad your theories didn't come true!'

Yes, I'm sorry I got mad that my fan theory that basic logic would be adhered to was proven wrong. What a silly overreaction.

At this point, I hope this shit sinks D&D's careers. I am not happy that they're gonna be given free reign to ruin Star Wars like Benioff ruined Deadpool's mouth.

11 minutes ago, MinscS2 said:

Ahh, so many good meme's.

"Me when Margaery died. :angry: "
"Me when I realized she died before having her character destroyed like everyone else. ^_^"

Would be funny if it wasn't true...

Hahaha, yeah, I saw that one yesterday, I think. 

8 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Forbes reviewer slamming Nutters comments on Euron not paying attention to pregnancy discussion going on 3 feet away.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2019/05/12/game-of-thrones-director-throws-cold-water-on-the-euron-cersei-theory-in-a-frustrating-way/#71213b063d46

It's amazing to see shill after shill finally turning on Game of Thrones. Emergency Awesome is going to look like a huge fucking kiss-ass once his Game of Thrones revenue stream ends.

They kind of talk about the characters like they're sentient beings. "Dany forgot", "Euron was distracted" like they, the writers, are not responsible for it. I get what they mean but it's like they're excusing their own shortcomings on the characters behaviors....of which they are responsible.

Archived