Rant & Rave Without Repercussion [book and show spoilers]

2 minutes ago, Lady Anna said:

They kind of talk about the characters like they're sentient beings. "Dany forgot", "Euron was distracted" like they, the writers, are not responsible for it. I get what they mean but it's like they're excusing their own shortcomings on the characters behaviors....of which they are responsible.

As I said before, it's like they're saying 'Uh, we're not stupid... uhhhh... every character in the show is stupid, that's it!'

Yeah, you're fooling no-one, D&D.

1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

Forbes reviewer slamming Nutters comments on Euron not paying attention to pregnancy discussion going on 3 feet away.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2019/05/12/game-of-thrones-director-throws-cold-water-on-the-euron-cersei-theory-in-a-frustrating-way/#71213b063d46

LOL

It just keeps getting better and better. I suppose he could be lying? Like when Jon died and everyone and their dogs kept repeating he was dead for realz and wouldn’t come back for a whole year. Probably giving them way too much credit, but it’s just so unbelievably dumb to say stuff like this...  

3 minutes ago, Lady Anna said:

They kind of talk about the characters like they're sentient beings. "Dany forgot", "Euron was distracted" like they, the writers, are not responsible for it. I get what they mean but it's like they're excusing their own shortcomings on the characters behaviors....of which they are responsible.

The most shocking thing is that comment by Benioff is in his own show.  It's not even in response to a question in a media interview, where you could at least think he was caught off guard.  This is his statement in his own program that is designed to give more insight into the show that  he writes and manages.  It's truly unbelievable, and again, like the coffee cup, it makes it through the entire production and editing process and no one thinks 'maybe we should cut this line because it makes the showrunners sound totally nuts'.

2 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

LOL

It just keeps getting better and better. I suppose he could be lying? Like when Jon died and everyone and their dogs kept repeating he was dead for realz and wouldn’t come back for a whole year. Probably giving them way too much credit, but it’s just so unbelievably dumb to say stuff like this...  

He could be lying, but since he's given a whole string of stupid as fuck answers on the last episode,  like what he said on Ghost, it seems more likely that this is the reality. 

There isn't going to be any scenes, which might even be good/interesting, at least they'd have some dialogue between Cersei and Euron over this pregnancy issue....because yeah, what we really needed was ANOTHER Tyrion speech to his sister that she will utterly disregard as she has every single one of them. 

46 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

LOL

This director is absolutely incompetent and should never be hired again. This is an insult to the audience.

8 minutes ago, Nami said:

This director is absolutely incompetent and should never be hired again. This is an insult to the audience.

It is. That’s why I was pondering the possibility... it’s all lies, to avoid giving away the OMFG shocking twist they seem to love so much, and worse, rely so heavily on. But given their track record, the most likely explanation is, what you see is what you get. 

It’s upsetting though, isn’t it? That this is what they think of their audience... that any dumb af answer will be satisfying and no one will question anything. 

2 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

The most shocking thing is that comment by Benioff is in his own show.  It's not even in response to a question in a media interview, where you could at least think he was caught off guard.  This is his statement in his own program that is designed to give more insight into the show that  he writes and manages.  It's truly unbelievable, and again, like the coffee cup, it makes it through the entire production and editing process and no one thinks 'maybe we should cut this line because it makes the showrunners sound totally nuts'.

It's because at this point no-one dares tell the Emperor that he has no clothes, just like JK Rowling with the Chromes of Grand-ol'-sport. Warner Brothers saw her as a flawless golden goose because they like money, and let her have complete creative control, making her produce something resembling the quality of a very high budget shitty fanfiction.

On 5/7/2019 at 10:18 AM, darmody said:

Jon has been written as manly before.

I'm trying to think back when as I haven't stuck with the series through its entirety but, yes, I do recall a time or two Jon stood his ground in the show.  Trying to think when his man bun first appeared...  there may be a correlation between when he lost any forward character development, complexity, and my interest. 

On 5/7/2019 at 10:18 AM, darmody said:

Now, he's just a sad-sack

Yup.  A very stunted, very withered, very sad sack

• 1 month later...
On 6 May 2019 at 9:32 PM, PatrickStormborn said:

A few quick thoughts...

Tyrion's "strategic mind" has been useless for at least 3 seasons. He ran Meereen into the ground in season 6, completely underestimated Cersei in season 7, and hasn't done anything useful in season 8. Yet the show's narrative seems to be that Dany is wrong whenever she doesn't listen to him. His advice pales in comparison to Jorah's. I imagine that Jorah's strategy would have been to march on King's Landing as soon as she landed in Westeros. That was Dany's instinct and she should have followed it. There would have been bloodshed, but leaving Cersei to grow more powerful has only caused additional damage. 

But then again, they never really had Dany reckon with her roots and her purpose as GRRM did in the books. She  conquers the Dothraki and returns to Meereen more ruthless than she left, but she doesn't have the same "fire and blood" epiphany that closes A Dance with Dragons. 

I don't think it's necessarily appropriate to see Dany as the Mad Queen. I would have a problem with that if it were the case, given that it would essentially create a war between two mad queens. What I find more compelling is the inverse scenario of Tywin vs Aerys; this time, Tywin's daughter is the Mad Queen, sitting on a pile of wildfire, and Aerys' daughter is the ruthless conquer coming to sack the city. Dany has always been ruthless and vengeful, and Cersei has given her plenty of ammunition. She's also becoming increasingly isolated and paranoid - but there aren't necessarily signs of madness, given that she really is isolated and her fears about Jon's parentage are already coming true. What would Aegon the Conqueror have done in her position? We don't need to ask that - the Field of Fire is the answer. 

That isn't to completely justify her behaviour, of course. I don't believe that ASOIAF will end with one person ruling, because it wouldn't be a satisfying or logical conclusion to the story. Over the course of the series (both books and show), the message is clear: no one person should hold complete power. "The dragon has three heads", not one. Currently, Daenerys Targaryen has too much power and few restraints. I don't believe that's necessarily an indictment of her character; I can't think of anyone in the real world that I would want to hold so much unlimited power.

Have D&D, the infamously untalented, done this narrative any justice? Of course not. They're in this to shock the audience, not tell a complicated story. 

I don't even know what to say about the rest of the episode - most of it has already been covered. A hidden fleet? Dany doesn't give Rhaegal literally a week to rest? No one in Winterfell cares about the sacrifices Dany made? Varys was more enthusiastic about Tyrion defending King's Landing against Stannis than he was about Dany defending Winterfell from actual ice zombies.

And then there's the capture of Missandei, the return of teleportation, Bronn sneaking into Winterfell waving a crossbow, Lena getting paid $1m an episode to appear for 5 minutes, the off-hand mention of the Prince of Dorne, Ghost being abandoned...

I also need to question why no one ever seems to care that Cersei blew up the Sept of Baelor. Do Daenerys et. al. not think that she might possibly have some more wildfire up her sleeve? Do none of the residents of King's Landing care? Why are they not already rioting?

Nail hit on head

Archived