Rant & Rave Without Repercussion [book and show spoilers]

Did anyone else catch the veiled Tysha reference? It was during the drinking game, and Brienne guesses that Tyrion was married before Sansa, and Tyrion drinks(indicating that this is true). And they’re all laughing it up, and having a great time. There is ZERO indication in either the script, or acting that Tyrion is upset by being reminded of this incident. Nope, just having a jolly old time. "LOL Remember you had a wife whom your father had gang raped? Hahahahahaha!" 

8 minutes ago, the hound of sansa said:

It really defies logic that they lost only half of their numbers. The shots inside Winterfell from the previous episode clearly showed only the known heros fighting. And there was no one left outside, no one alive at least. Were they hidding inside the castle?

They were with Bronze Royce in the war council room, guarding the map and the pieces. What if the wights from the library had come up there?

5 minutes ago, TNTW said:

The wights didn't explode, they just collapsed. Only the NK and white walkers exploded.

You're right. I just rewatched the season 7 scene. They were all skeletons and they fell apart. That's why I was thinking that. My bad!

I'm not even mad any more.  It's a shame.  I can see the vague outline of what could have been a good story....where Sansa does become a player, but not an impolite eye roller, and where the cumulative stresses of losing people close to her and having not a positive response in Westeros along with Jon's heritage slowly pushing her into paranoia and madness.  To try and do this is 2 episodes is so clumsy as to be almost beyond belief.

And please no one tell me that she has always shown these tendencies in the show, when almost every one of her dracarys atrocities was celebrated BY THE SHOW as a badass moment of triumph. Maybe if they had not made burning the khals a 'hell yeah' moment, and same with the others, this super short trend downward would feel more believable.  Maybe if they had done a 10 episode season there would have been more time to build tension and show her breaking down.  This just feels random and shoehorned in.

Okay remember what was probably the most effective part of the previous episode? The beginning, the feeling of anticipation and dread, that churning feeling in the pit of your stomach when something bad is about to happen.

The Red Wedding chapter is so good at making you feel this. In the show we lost this unease and growing dread to make the scene more shocking. And ever since this has been a pattern. Shock the viewer at all costs instead of successfully building up to a pay-off. The show is essentially a jumpscare-fest.

Why have any tension about Euron finding Dany's fleet when we can have big surprises that defy logic? Why have the viewer clench their buttocks wondering if Arya'll get to the NK in time when she can just jump out of nowhere and instakill him? Why have any buildup to Jaime stabbing Cersei when we'll most likely get a last moment 180 for maximum shocks?

Now, Breaking Bad on the other hand ...

Spoiler

basically offed its main villain with 16 episodes left, and not only did it feel earned, but during the scenes leading to Gus' death you know he's going to die, yet it is all extremely effective and well executed.

Also, don't know where I saw this, but someone wrote that Bran should have Hector Salamanca'd the NK and that would honestly have been better than what we got.

And let me gush over Better Call Saul a bit, because in that show we know what happens to the two main characters, yet their stories are told so well that it doesn't matter. You know, because a good story is a good story even if you know the big spooky spoilers, and a good story can even use this to its advantage. A lot of tension in BCS stems from the very fact that we KNOW the future, and we dread getting there.

Oh my, I started thinking about GoT's lost potential again. Silly me.

They would need weeks or months to shovel all the army of dead away... 

Again I hate how fast everyone travels everywhere. 

This show looks more and more like parody. It's hard to connect emotionally with the characters. They try to tie all the ends and tie them fast but everything looks awkward and false.

I'm waiting for this show to end. The fans of books are too far  disappointed to take it anymore. :D

9 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I'm not even mad any more.  It's a shame.  I can see the vague outline of what could have been a good story....where Sansa does become a player, but not an impolite eye roller, and where the cumulative stresses of losing people close to her and having not a positive response in Westeros along with Jon's heritage slowly pushing her into paranoia and madness.  To try and do this is 2 episodes is so clumsy as to be almost beyond belief.

And please no one tell me that she has always shown these tendencies in the show, when almost every one of her dracarys atrocities was celebrated BY THE SHOW as a badass moment of triumph. Maybe if they had not made burning the khals a 'hell yeah' moment, and same with the others, this super short trend downward would feel more believable.  Maybe if they had done a 10 episode season there would have been more time to build tension and show her breaking down.  This just feels random and shoehorned in.

I Don t think you can go the mad queen route this season and have Jon and Danny in love... 

It just shows how stupid it is for them not to marry! 

If one of them were in a relationship when they meet then the mad queen would make much more sense... 

This is just bad writing to subvert expectations

This show looks more and more like a parody. It's hard to connect emotionally with the characters. Their choices have become strange, ridiculous and cliche. They try to tie all the ends and tie them fast but everything looks awkward and false.

There were very few things I liked in this episode. The worst was Dany meeting Cersei. Come on. Cersei could just kill Dany there. But no... She plays a drama beheading Missandei. I'm waiting for this show to end. The fans of books are too far  disappointed to take it anymore. :D

(sorry for posting my answer twice. it was unintentionally)

3 minutes ago, Obsidian Knight said:

There were very few things I liked in this episode. The worst was Dany meeting Cersei. Come on. Cersei could just kill Dany there. But no... She plays a drama beheading Missandei. I'm waiting for this show to end. The fans of books are too far  disappointed to take it anymore. :D

Yep. Honestly the idea that Cersei Lannister wouldn't just kill Dany there and then is ridiculous. 

Well i'm not going to slander the characters as, they don't write themselves so...  here we go.

After last weeks show, my expectations are subterranean right now.

1. Dany going 0 - 60 with Jealousy and suspician is beyond crazy. I thought she looked the part but its just too out of nowhere and forced. 

2. Jon reiterating his loyalty to Dany but being adament on telling his family is just brainless. Jon isn't this naive (Kill the Boy) and has made shrewd decision even in the show. He know what that ifo would do. Its like he's forced to be dumb like Tyrion was... i'll get to that...

3. So now he and Dany are over. First, Why would he tell her this when he did... in the crypts b4 the battle in the first place and then WHY would he tell Sansa and Arya before the battle. NOBODY could be this stupid. Jon was hidden for a reason.

4. Sansa's suspician is silly and forced. She then betrays Jon and tells Tyrion immediately.

5. I liked Arya's dumping of Gendry because it's something she'd do.

6. Not only can Eurons fleet teleport, but his trajectory aim is immaculate. How did Dany not see a fleet of ships!? She's in the sky... and how did Euron know exactly where they'd be!? D&D just decide whats going to happen and drive the action towards it whatever the cost. Another Dragon killed. Weakest dragons ever. So i gather Tyrion will finally design Dany some Dragon Armor for next episode. Just about positive of this. Reason he didn't do so earlier was they wanted to make a bigger impact by using the dragons deaths.

7. So Tyrion tells Varys about Jon.... Why...

8. Dany marches here "few good" men to the walls of the wastes... I mean Kings landing which looks like its in the middle of nowhere. Beautiful Masandie dies... my heart. But the question is, why would Tyrion walk up to the city gates within range of the Archers directly after Bron was sent BY cersie to kill them both. So you offer yourself as target for her archers and then out of character she doesn't kill you. Matter fact, cersie doesn't kill any of them but lets thier little force leave. They were all in range of her ballista. 

Anyways. the pace and plot of all this is terrible. And thats why can't blame the characters for bad writing. I think they all are well caste, but the writing is absolutely horrific. I see why they are fast tracking the end of the show, because they can't write like GRRM. ASOIAF has far too much depth for them to pick up and write. 

Also Jons scene with Ghost was like so slanderous to the source material. He couldn't even be bothered to pet the poor miniature ghost. 

11 hours ago, Corvinus said:

If Helm’s Deep served as an inspiration for the Long Night battle, did the meeting at the Black Gate with the Mouth of Sauron serve as inspiration for that ridiculous parley? It sure felt that way.

Its crazy i felt the same way. just the look of it was eerily like that mouth or sauron scene.

2 hours ago, A Dance with Davos said:

Perhaps someone has made this point, but I missed it. So how does Cersei know that Missandei is so important? I mean they only capture/execute her. If they had captured a number of people I would understand, but it is pretty darn clear they only had Missandei. I'm fine with ignoring the fine details of how she even got captured (That's how low my expectations are), but couldn't they have had a few unsullied with her just to make it look like bad luck for Missandei.

Has Qyburn developed some kind of device to point out who is a major character in this world? Is it just blind luck? Or most likely is it just bad writing?

Well, you see, there's been a major ongoing development since season 1. In season 1 real armor was effective and plot armor not so much. Now, as dragons and WWs made a return, so did magical plot armor, while real armor's effectiveness crumbled to dust. This is never explicitly mentioned, but if you pay close attention you will notice the careful attention to detail and how sneakily this change took place. Excellent writing, I must say.

Qyburn, who obviously knows a thing or two about weird magical stuff, has the ability to detect plot armor. He noticed that Missandei was wearing some degree of plot armor and therefore understood that she must be important. Now, the scary thing is that Qyburn must also have some device that removes plot armor, or else Missandei would never have died. This means that every character should be afraid, as we don't know the extent of Qyburn's ability to remove plot armor. He might be powerful enough to strip Dany!

My theory is that Qyburn will play a pivotal role in Cersei's death, as she is clearly wearing some heavy as fuck plot armor. I for one am very interested in finding out why Qyburn decides to remove Cersei's plot armor.

At least last week had the draw of spectacle to provide some entertainment value.  This show is honestly soap opera quality story telling with big Hollywood level budgeting.  Constantly cutting away from a scene right when its about to get important (Stark reaction to Jon's parentage for example), choppy inhuman dialogue, inconsistent characters and tone, and plot contrivances galore. 

Sansa: after not being annoying for two straight episodes she decides to make up for lost time.  Betraying Jon to Tyrion?  Hating Dany for no real reason other than to be catty? The north has no army left and is an open enemy of the crown, she should thank the gods Dany even wants them on her team.  They have beat us over the head with Sansa openly doubting Jon at every turn and now she wants him on the iron chair?  Okay little bird.

Bran:  are we really done with the 3ER stuff already, that was it? Now he's just going to go back in time and steal intellectual property for wheelchair designs?

Jon: Ghost deserved better.  Trusting Sansa to keep his secret just shows that no matter what happens to this guy her will never learn a damn thing.  Gets reminded that he's little again, if he ends up on the Iron Throne and starts demanding the heads of everyone over six feet tall they'll have no one to blame but themselves.

Dany:  Does anyone else feel like the show is undermining the madness of Aerys II with this constant comparison?  That dude burned people alive for entertainment, was delusional with paranoia, abused his wife, and thought he was a dragon trapped in a human body.  Dany has shown some harsh tendencies for her enemies but they have always at least been her enemies.  She'd be crazy not to be skeptical of Tyrion's loyalty since he couldn't do a better job of sabotaging her campaign for the chair if he tried.

Twilight:  was a better love story than these two.

Ballistas:  are those things heat seeking or what?  They were hitting a flying target at a distance that looked to be at least a mile consecutive times in a row.  Travel time on the projectile had to be several seconds, I would guess over a hundred feet of drop, and reload times of about an hour to put that much energy into the system by hand.  How stupid does this show need us to be for anything to make sense?  They should've had Qyburn invent wildfire gun powder or something if they wanted to give Urine cheat codes, it'd be easier to believe than that crap.

Cercei: executes a POW at a parlay indicating no intention of reaching a deal.  Fine, that's a very Cercei thing to do.  Doesn't kill Tyrion when he is standing right there for the taking.  Why? For that matter given what we just saw on the water everyone in Dany's party was well within range for her weapons (including Drogon).  That should've been the end of the war right there.

Bronn: *shoots crossbow/*click/*crossbow reload complete LOL

21 minutes ago, Obsidian Knight said:

This show looks more and more like a parody. It's hard to connect emotionally with the characters. Their choices have become strange, ridiculous and cliche. They try to tie all the ends and tie them fast but everything looks awkward and false.

(sorry for posting my answer twice. it was unintentionally)

I agree with you.  I am a book fan who have read the books numerous times and watching this season has dampened by enthusiasm for the future books too.  Just don’t care.

Archived