Strangest Possible Ending

17 hours ago, Legitimate_Bastard said:

Deep Ones come and kill EVERYTHING.

Actually, this is very possible. With all the veiled warnings from Patchface, the rumors about Varys not being exactly human, Jojen's greendream from Clash, Moqorro's visions in Dance and everything about Euron Greyjoy, this is a very real possibility.

To make it creepier and stranger, I would add in a bit of Euron-derived tentacle rape nightmare fuel with a side of Daenerys.

Daenerys making the ultimate sacrifice and Euron winning and getting exactly what he wanted more or less would be ZOMG

The strangest for me (and most horrifying as a reader) would be something utterly anticlimactic, where none of the separate plotlines actually converge and all the main characters either die in mundane circumstances or go on to live out their lives without any further impact on the main story  . . . leaving us all wondering "what was the point of all that?".

Dany returns to Meereen but trips over the fringe of her tokar, tumbling down the steps of the great pyramid and breaking her neck. The dragons, no longer held in place by the bond with their mother are last seen flying East towards the rising sun never to be heard of again.

Arya completes her FM training and finally relinquishes the last hold on her old identity. She advances through the ranks becoming a top assassin. but never returns to Westeros or gives any further thought to home.

Jon is dead and will remain dead.

It turns out that the Others have never had any interest in invading or moving past The Wall. Their only intent was to drive the Wildlings South out of their territory and with that mission accomplished, they fade back into peaceful obscurity and the realm of fairytales.

Bran is given safe passage from the cave. After stopping at the Wall to inform them that the threat of the Others has passed, he retires to a convenient Weirwood to live out the rest of his existence.

Winter is still coming, regardless of the Others, and conflicts in the North cease as the focus shifts to simple survival. Following on from another blizzard, Stannis's troops are found frozen and starved early in Winds - a fate that awaits everyone else in the North over the course of the book (except for Bran in his Weirwood)

Aegon contracts Greyscale from Jon Con, and both succomb before his invasion can progress any further.

Cersei becomes more reclusive as her paranoia increases and eventually dies alone - choking on her own vomit after a late night drinking binge.

(Sorry, I'm bored this afternoon :D I could go on, but I'm sure that's probably more than enough!)

3 hours ago, Shara said:

The strangest for me (and most horrifying as a reader) would be something utterly anticlimactic, where none of the separate plotlines actually converge and all the main characters either die in mundane circumstances or go on to live out their lives without any further impact on the main story  . . . leaving us all wondering "what was the point of all that?".

Dany returns to Meereen but trips over the fringe of her tokar, tumbling down the steps of the great pyramid and breaking her neck. The dragons, no longer held in place by the bond with their mother are last seen flying East towards the rising sun never to be heard of again.

Arya completes her FM training and finally relinquishes the last hold on her old identity. She advances through the ranks becoming a top assassin. but never returns to Westeros or gives any further thought to home.

Jon is dead and will remain dead.

It turns out that the Others have never had any interest in invading or moving past The Wall. Their only intent was to drive the Wildlings South out of their territory and with that mission accomplished, they fade back into peaceful obscurity and the realm of fairytales.

Bran is given safe passage from the cave. After stopping at the Wall to inform them that the threat of the Others has passed, he retires to a convenient Weirwood to live out the rest of his existence.

Winter is still coming, regardless of the Others, and conflicts in the North cease as the focus shifts to simple survival. Following on from another blizzard, Stannis's troops are found frozen and starved early in Winds - a fate that awaits everyone else in the North over the course of the book (except for Bran in his Weirwood)

Aegon contracts Greyscale from Jon Con, and both succomb before his invasion can progress any further.

Cersei becomes more reclusive as her paranoia increases and eventually dies alone - choking on her own vomit after a late night drinking binge.

(Sorry, I'm bored this afternoon :D I could go on, but I'm sure that's probably more than enough!)

I would love this. 

A spaceship lands in the Dragonpit, and it turns out that Planetos was settled by people from Earth thousands of years ago, and somehow fell out of touch with the Galactic Federation ... Sorry, but the first GRRM story I ever read was "Storms of Windhaven," back in the 70s when it came out in Analog magazine. That plot line is still lurking in the back of my mind.

Jon indicates right as he turns into Blackwater Street.

He experiences a weird deja vu feeling.He feels the traffic lights are watching him.

He turns to his daughter and says "Don't mind me,Dracarys your dad's a bit crazy".

8 minutes ago, redriver said:

Jon indicates right as he turns into Blackwater Street.

He experiences a weird deja vu feeling.He feels the traffic lights are watching him.

He turns to his daughter and says "Don't mind me,Dracarys your dad's a bit crazy".

I want this now. 

On 5/7/2019 at 4:50 AM, Jabar of House Titan said:

Actually, this is very possible. With all the veiled warnings from Patchface, the rumors about Varys not being exactly human, Jojen's greendream from Clash, Moqorro's visions in Dance and everything about Euron Greyjoy, this is a very real possibility.

To make it creepier and stranger, I would add in a bit of Euron-derived tentacle rape nightmare fuel with a side of Daenerys.

Daenerys making the ultimate sacrifice and Euron winning and getting exactly what he wanted more or less would be ZOMG

I see Westeros being something like a medieval Innsmouth if that were to happen.

Just now, Legitimate_Bastard said:

I see Westeros being something like a medieval Innsmouth if that were to happen.

I agree.

With no food, ruined castles and holdfasts, zombies, monsters from beyond the Wall and stone men still roaming around, winter still in full swing probably with no real daylight hours and the side effects of Euron's rule still holding sway with Lovecraftian horrors popping up every now an then, I can see Westeros making Valyria blush.

But yes, I totally see a Lovecraftian ending to these books.

It's already been implied by the fate of Aerea, the mystery of Hardhome, Samwell's encounter with a blood magic sorcerer at the behest of his father, the visions of Melisandre and Moqorro, all that is Patchface and the Aeron sample chapter from Winds. I have found that even Cressen's prologue chapter in Clash reads like a cosmic horror. And there's the lingering mystery of what Bran saw at the Heart of Winter that made him cry.

A lot of the stuff I just mentioned revolves around the oceans, Valyria and Euron Greyjoy

6 hours ago, Legitimate_Bastard said:

As a matter of fact, let's be real.

What won't be Lovecraftian about A Dream of Spring?

• Most dead people will be walking around trying to eat and kill living people.
  • Some other dead people that are less dead than the others will be walking around trying to tell you what to do.
  • The worst winter ever seen is upon them with the very real possibility that they will never see the sun again in said winter.
  • Alien, inhuman beings with supernatural powers over ice and snow are looking to get you.
  • There will be no food and a wide variety of diseases, one of them being greyscale which literally turns its victims into monsters.
  • Someone -- or rather, no one at all -- is going to be running around disguising themselves as other people to kill people.
  • A woman from the east, championed and sponsored by a queer religion that likes to burn people, is going to be bringing over three monstrous beasts who are basically nukes and possibly a million of foreign warriors who have completely different martial cultures and fighting styles than what they are used to. Worse she is going to be dishing out platitudes about how she breaks chains and slays lies and that she cannot be killed by fire.
  • There will be at least one mad scientist at work.
  • The old gods are alive, the Children of the Forest are back and both seem to be encouraging blood sacrifices now
  • religious invasion of R'hllor who most people find scary
  • And then there's the matter of Euron Greyjoy and whatever 

Yikes.

Bran is the one. (He opened his 3rd eye, next comes the 4th) Bloodraven is like Morpheus, Faceless men are agents and the Others are a glitch in the system like Smith.

It all goes back and back, Tyrion thought, to our mothers and fathers and theirs before them. We are puppets dancing on the strings of those who came before us, and one day our own children will take up our strings and dance on in our steads.

WAKE UP!

18 hours ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

A lot of the stuff I just mentioned revolves around the oceans, Valyria and Euron Greyjoy

Euron is gona be Dagon, methinks.

I agree, Lovecraftian ending is coming in some form or fashion.

The Others succeed in bringing about the extinction of mankind, except for Bran, who becomes a tree. At first, the COTF are overjoyed by this as this was a part of their master plan. When they make it out of their refuges, however, they realize that Ghost Grass has covered the entire world as the Dothraki prophecy fortold. Human spirits rest inside of the dead grass,and they are not happy with the COTF. The book ends with the Weirwood trees fighting Ghost grass for world dominance.

38 minutes ago, Aurane said:

The Others succeed in bringing about the extinction of mankind, except for Bran, who becomes a tree. At first, the COTF are overjoyed by this as this was a part of their master plan. When they make it out of their refuges, however, they realize that Ghost Grass has covered the entire world as the Dothraki prophecy foretold. Human spirits rest inside of the dead grass,and they are not happy with the COTF. The book ends with the Weirwood trees fighting Ghost grass for world dominance.

I really like this.

The elements of ice (the Others) and water (the Deep Ones) destroy all of mankind. The Starks of Winterfell (per Jojen's vision) are the last to go but go they do. And the element of earth reclaims the planet....only to find that they must once again clash against the other elements but against the last vestiges of mankind.

What about the fire? What role would the Mother of Dragons and her progeny play?

And how can we forget about the element of air. Sansa -- although a Stark (ice) and a Tully (water) -- has strong ties to the Arryns and the Lothston-Whents (token air elemental families) that will only get stronger. Sansa also has this thing with songs, stories and dreams, things that can only exist in and through the air.

Melisandre decides to burn Shireen to save Stannis from the Boltons. However, Shireen was already meant to be an offering to the Deep ones, who turned Patchface into a water wight and sent him out to find the daughter of the Lord of Storm’s End. Feeling cheated by the fire god, the Deep Ones join hands with the WW. They help them to cross the sea to reach Essos, where they destroy the main temple of the Lord of light. Then they launch a great war against Asshai and the dragons that will keep them busy for the next 100 years.

Meanwhile Bran discovers the secret powers of the Weirwood trees: They can move! He convinces the half-dead CotF in the cave to lead their Weirwood-Ent soldiers into battle against the enemies of the old gods. All over the 7 kingdoms the remaining trees come to life to join them. Bran himself takes control over the Weirwood of Winterfell and commands their main forces.  They succeed and the North becomes once more and independent kingdom.

The end.

3 hours ago, OneFretfulTrout said:

Melisandre decides to burn Shireen to save Stannis from the Boltons. However, Shireen was already meant to be an offering to the Deep ones, who turned Patchface into a water wight and sent him out to find the daughter of the Lord of Storm’s End. Feeling cheated by the fire god, the Deep Ones join hands with the WW. They help them to cross the sea to reach Essos, where they destroy the main temple of the Lord of light. Then they launch a great war against Asshai and the dragons that will keep them busy for the next 100 years.

Actually pretty likely when you think about it.

3 hours ago, OneFretfulTrout said:

Meanwhile Bran discovers the secret powers of the Weirwood trees: They can move! He convinces the half-dead CotF in the cave to lead their Weirwood-Ent soldiers into battle against the enemies of the old gods. All over the 7 kingdoms the remaining trees come to life to join them. Bran himself takes control over the Weirwood of Winterfell and commands their main forces.  They succeed and the North becomes once more and independent kingdom

While I don't think weirwoods can move, I think Bran can skinchange into other trees and make them move.

Archived