Messy story

The story is a mess.  Last week's battle plan was too damn silly.  Sansa, book and show, has always been annoying.  The show is really feeding off of the many years of discussion on the forums.  The story doesn't make sense anymore.  It stopped making sense in season six.  Thousands died in the battle for Winterfell.  Now they're all of a sudden concerned about the people in King's Landing.  The show lacks continuity.  I don't even bother to rate the episodes anymore.  

11 minutes ago, Texas Hold Em said:

The story is a mess.  Last week's battle plan was too damn silly.  Sansa, book and show, has always been annoying.  The show is really feeding off of the many years of discussion on the forums.  The story doesn't make sense anymore.  It stopped making sense in season six.  Thousands died in the battle for Winterfell.  Now they're all of a sudden concerned about the people in King's Landing.  The show lacks continuity.  I don't even bother to rate the episodes anymore.  

You actually rated the episodes ;-)?

Yeah, one wonders why on earth people would see an apparently necessary military maneuver to defeat a common enemy as the worst thing ever. I mean, last week they nearly all became corpses and were fighting an army of the undead - and now they have to deal with a petty woman and her lickspittle advisors. One should expect that supernatural stuff changed their priorities somewhat.

Just now, Lord Varys said:

Yeah, one wonders why on earth people would see an apparently necessary military maneuver to defeat a common enemy as the worst thing ever. I mean, last week they nearly all became corpses and were fighting an army of the undead - and now they have to deal with a petty woman and her lickspittle advisors. One should expect that supernatural stuff changed their priorities somewhat.

The show writers have been working really hard from season 7 on to promote Jon.  Some will say it's fan service.  It's bad story telling.  I accept that the books and the show are not the same but good god they changed the characters.  These are not the same characters dreamed up by Martin.  

12 minutes ago, Texas Hold Em said:

The show writers have been working really hard from season 7 on to promote Jon.  Some will say it's fan service.  It's bad story telling.  I accept that the books and the show are not the same but good god they changed the characters.  These are not the same characters dreamed up by Martin.  

If you read GRRM's original pitch and outline for A Song of Ice and Fire, Jon is basically the hero. He's kind of always been the tragic hero, even in the books. He also says that Jon, Tyrion, Dany, Arya, and Bran make it the longest or survive. I think he is still going that way.

Just now, neutralbhad said:

If you read GRRM's original pitch and outline for A Song of Ice and Fire, Jon is basically the hero. He's kind of always been the tragic hero, even in the books. He also says that Jon, Tyrion, Dany, Arya, and Bran make it the longest or survive. I think he is still going that way.

I would stop reading the books when I am convinced it has the same ending as the show.  

Unfortunately this is what happens when  you try to cramp years of material into 6 remaining episodes.  There's actually a lot of good stuff here, it just deserves to be told in a more drawn out fashion.

2 hours ago, neutralbhad said:

That original pitch and outline were written over 25 years ago; I would think that some things might have changed in his vision.  I think at least one of his early outlines mentioned a love triangle between Tyrion, Arya, and Jon; thankfully that has not occurred.  

But I won't think that Sansa (who I have thought was the most realistically written of the Stark kids in the books) is safe until she survives the TV series and the books; and we may never see the latter completed.

3 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

Nevermind that they have Super Arya and Super Bran. I don't see how surrounding King's Landing and starving the population until it rises up and violently overthrows the Cersei is that much better than torching the Red Keep. 

Unless Cersei has wired the whole city to blow with wildfire. Which I wouldn't put past her. But this has not been indicated. 

Archived