Why are they plotting a coup?

On 5/6/2019 at 11:44 PM, Tyrion1991 said:

Technically they’ve made their bed with Dany; they’re just refusing to lie in it. Jon has already bent the knee. That ship has sailed. 

Because of what Dany has done in her own arc over the last few seasons. She isn’t just another claimant to the Iron Throne. Either Sansa knows what the audience does about Dany or she’s acting out of ignorance, which Jon twice accuses her of, and that not good enough for a supposedly intelligent person. 

I don't know wtf I was thinking. I just watched it again and see what you mean. My brain is swiss cheese some days.

On 5/7/2019 at 7:54 PM, Tyrion1991 said:

You are confusing the facts. Jon has effectively abdicated by not pressing his claim and swearing fealty to Dany. This is mentioned multiple times during the episode. If Jon does not want to be King then that is an abdication. So Dany is already Queen; she just doesn’t have the capital yet. Jon can’t be King if he has abdicated. Sansa is jumping the gun massively by plotting a coup and secession.

It’s still plotting a coup and an assassination attempt even if Jon has a superior claim. After Jon promised he would not do so and wouldn’t tell people. After Dany helped save the North and lost half her army and Jorah? That’s a massive betrayal of Daenerys after she saved the North; by Aryas own admission.

Also, it’s entirely reckless. They have not finished off Cersei. The Northern army is still weak. They don’t have Rhaegal anymore. Surely Sansa isn’t stupid enough to try killing Dany without having a fallback plan in case she fails rocks assassinate her. Sansa doesn’t have deniability. Only three other people knew and two of them were family. What if Dany decides to turn on them and burn Winterfell to the ground? It is incredibly poorly thought out and premature to be openly talking of treason. Varys makes one botched attempt on Danys life. What happens then?

Technically, Jon bent the knee as King in the North, not as King of the 7 Kingdoms.
And it doesn't matter whether or not he did bend the knee.  Others will hear of his claim and use it as a reason to not have to accept Dany.  Other Lords will declare him King, and will rebel in his name.

Re. being reckless, when Sansa old Tyrion 'The Secret', Rheagal was still very much alive.   And at Winterfell with Drogon.  And Dany.

Archived