Treason Is Treason

For the realm. Varys the Snake talks about it, Tyrion wonders what it even is. But it's clear Varys jumps from boyfriend to boyfriend like a finicky junior high girl, always trading up for the best available. Which leads him to prefer mentally ill contenders like Viserys over the merely incompetent and lazy Robert. Robert may have been a bad king, but he didn't rule over chaos. And Viserys would never have been able to unite the realm after chaos, or run an army of toy soldiers alone in his room for that manner. 

Why does no one bash his big melon head against the wall? He's worse than useless: he's a danger. I realize you kinda have to employ dishonest and untrustworthy people to be spymasters. But he sucks at spywork. All he's capable of is snark and condescension. 

Indeed, if he truly cares about the realm, he should know himself better than what he does now. 

True, Dany might become harsher later on, but she is very reasonable right now. Furthermore, Dany has honorably kept her words, unlike Cersei. 

Why is he plotting to assassinate at Dany at the moment when even Cersei is still an uncertainty? What if, due to the potential infighting in Dany's camp caused by his plot, Cersei ended up winning? How would Varys get rid of Cersei then? Varys has made mistakes in the past and Cersei can get to him first. Does he really want Cersei and Euron to have the potential to win the war?

10 minutes ago, HighAndMightyBrightness said:

Why is he plotting to assassinate at Dany at the moment when even Cersei is still an uncertainty? What if, due to the potential infighting in Dany's camp caused by his plot, Cersei ended up winning? How would Varys get rid of Cersei then? Varys has made mistakes in the past and Cersei can get to him first. Does he really want Cersei and Euron to have the potential to win the war?

I think that he thinks that now that he has witnessed Dany in action he is dissappointed by her and prefers Jon, he probably hopes that Jon will defeat Cersei the same way he defeated Ramsay and he will prove himself a true Targaryen (also he likely thinks that Jon is less mercurial than Dany). 

5 hours ago, darmody said:

For the realm. Varys the Snake talks about it, Tyrion wonders what it even is. But it's clear Varys jumps from boyfriend to boyfriend like a finicky junior high girl, always trading up for the best available. Which leads him to prefer mentally ill contenders like Viserys over the merely incompetent and lazy Robert. Robert may have been a bad king, but he didn't rule over chaos. And Viserys would never have been able to unite the realm after chaos, or run an army of toy soldiers alone in his room for that manner. 

Why does no one bash his big melon head against the wall? He's worse than useless: he's a danger. I realize you kinda have to employ dishonest and untrustworthy people to be spymasters. But he sucks at spywork. All he's capable of is snark and condescension. 

The irony is that he sneered at Littlefinger's love for chaos yet all Varys has ever done is seed it so he can get the monarch he wants. The worst part is he keeps changing his mind who he wants it to be. Honestly, suggesting that Varys might try to kill Dany NOW with only two episodes to go and most of the crap going down in episode 5... yeah, this is stupid. 

If Varys wants the best outcome possible for the realm, then he is right and Jon is the best possible king. If Varys wants Jon to become the king, it's clear that Cersei needs to be defeated, so I won't even comment on this further. As for Dany, she is very unpredictable, very cruel towards those who doesn't obey her and she does have "mad queen" tendecies. Varys knows this and he doesn't want a wildcard to rule. She can be a good ruler but she can also burn the land.

Varys' big dream was for Viserys to rule after invading and waging war with the Dothraki. He also loyally served the Mad King- playing into his paranoia. It's not as if he didn't know what Viserys was like- no doubt Ilyrio tipped him off at some point. 

4 hours ago, Anthony Pirtle said:

This is one of the many times the book Varys makes more sense, since he never wanted Viserys on the throne.

Show Varys stopped making sense once they cut out Young Griff. I mean I understand the decision behind it, but it made Varys come off as completely dumb and random.
Might have been better to make him a Jon supporter all along. Everybody knows about R+L anyway, so why not reveal it in season...what was it? 4?

All of them are a bunch of murderous or scheming vipers who want the Iron Throne and deserve to die except Jon, Sam, Gilly, Little Sam,Brienne, Tormund, and Davos.  I am exhausted from all their plotting.   Sansa could end up on the throne but she has no honor and couldn’t keep a promise 5 minutes before she was plotting with Tyrion.

5 minutes ago, TheFirstofHerName said:

All of them are a bunch of murderous or scheming vipers who want the Iron Throne and deserve to die except Jon, Sam, Gilly, Little Sam,Brienne, Tormund, and Davos.  I am exhausted from all their plotting.   Sansa could end up on the throne but she has no honor and couldn’t keep a promise 5 minutes before she was plotting with Tyrion.

I still don't understand why tyrion or varys should be interested in making another person ruller when they have spent the last seasons supporting Danny as a great ruller... 

It was like they hear of another targ that and immediately think Danny isn t fit. If I remember right varys even says she is becoming a dictator... 

And I am not saying they are wrong. Just that it was something that happened sudenly 

Since they scrapped fAegon from the show, show Varys doesn't make sense anymore, because if you believe he really is ''for the realm'' you have to take into consideration that he truly wanted Viserys on the throne, he wanted the Dothraki in Westeros to pillage and rape, etc.

Robert was not a good King, but he had a good, peaceful reign. Cersei and Joffrey were future dangers, but they could've been dealt with rather easily. If Cersei and Joffrey had been taken by a ''fever'', Robert could've married a Tyrell like Renly wanted, and Tommen would've ascended the throne. He may not have been well suited, but he was still young and gentle, and could've been properly groomed for it.

8 hours ago, darmody said:

Varys' storyline has become one of the worst.  He's gone from the smartest guy in the room to the stupidest.  

1 hour ago, divica said:

I still don't understand why tyrion or varys should be interested in making another person ruller when they have spent the last seasons supporting Danny as a great ruller... 

It was like they hear of another targ that and immediately think Danny isn t fit. If I remember right varys even says she is becoming a dictator... 

And I am not saying they are wrong. Just that it was something that happened sudenly 

There were signs they were getting concerned about Daenerys back in Meereen when Tyrion convinced her to just burn one of the slavers ships and compromise by just killing two of the three slave masters.  She has a tendency to want to destroy anyone who doesn’t agree with her or bend the knee (like Aerys).  But she also showed compassion too .....like when she locked up her dragons so they would not harm the children and ended slavery.  She has just gotten more power driven the closer she gets to the Iron Throne and now there is little time left to change the trajectory of her character.  

I believe Vary's does care about the realm, but is maybe jumping to conclusions of someone better quite quickly. But it comes down to the writers. I am not a fan of where they have taken some of the characters. I think it was madness to be "chatting" treason in the throne room of all places.

7 hours ago, TheFirstofHerName said:

There were signs they were getting concerned about Daenerys back in Meereen when Tyrion convinced her to just burn one of the slavers ships and compromise by just killing two of the three slave masters.  She has a tendency to want to destroy anyone who doesn’t agree with her or bend the knee (like Aerys).  But she also showed compassion too .....like when she locked up her dragons so they would not harm the children and ended slavery.  She has just gotten more power driven the closer she gets to the Iron Throne and now there is little time left to change the trajectory of her character.  

Those weren't even slave masters, were they? I think they were just emissaries. 

Archived