Miss Sandy the Hostage

When a character declares "They have Miss Sandy!" like it means something, I get confused. Because she's the queen's "trusted advisor" who never gives any advice? Why the hubbub, in the midst of multiple wars with thousands dying?

Look, I know why they picked her for this role, if they had to have it happen this way. Because she's the most expendable character in Danny's retinue. At least now that Varys is a character again (instead of a prop with a kimono and shiny dome). She's vulnerable and sympathetic, and she has a love interest to care about her absence. 

The great tragic death of Miss Sandy will motivate some future choice of Danny's, I guess. Even though she just lost another dragon-child. That ought to have been motivation enough, though she didn't seem to care that much when the other one died.

What else was the point of this whole plot? To get Tyrion talking to Cersei? That could've happened anyway. To show us how coldblooded and determined Cersei is? I think that's well-enough established. Much like the fact that gravity exists in Westeros. 

It was done for shock and to justify Dany's rage.

It did not need to make sense (the show is just terrible on that reguard) not more than a whole FLEET being able to sneak up on dragons flying in the sky and kill one of them while the other stays miracolously untouched, or Cersei ordering Bronn to kill Jaime and Tyrion and when she has the chance to personally turn Tyrion into a pincushion she avoids doing that...

Missandei  was always a bit of a strange character. A translator that Dany never even needed when recruited. An advisor that gave no advice. A friend of Daenerys that didn't actually interact with her much. Natalie Emmanuel must have been bored rigid. 

3 hours ago, darmody said:

When a character declares "They have Miss Sandy!" like it means something, I get confused. Because she's the queen's "trusted advisor" who never gives any advice?

I really don't understand you whole post. What exactly do you want to discuss? Is it a question or a raving?

Missandei is known to be the most trusted friend of Daenerys and taking Missandei as hostage and executing her publicly, directly violates Daenerys and undermines her power. They cause rage and fury in Daenerys, emotions which are never a good adviser. Cersei at her best. A believable move. Beheading is very straight-forward for Cersei and reminds us of the beheading of Ned Stark, too.

Missandei got a nicely done death scene and an important exit from the show. I don't have anything to moan about that.

19 hours ago, Kajjo said:

I really don't understand you whole post. What exactly do you want to discuss? Is it a question or a raving?

Missandei is known to be the most trusted friend of Daenerys and taking Missandei as hostage and executing her publicly, directly violates Daenerys and undermines her power. They cause rage and fury in Daenerys, emotions which are never a good adviser. Cersei at her best. A believable move. Beheading is very straight-forward for Cersei and reminds us of the beheading of Ned Stark, too.

Missandei got a nicely done death scene and an important exit from the show. I don't have anything to moan about that.

My point is that with Danny's ships destroyed and a dragon dead, Miss Sandy should be an afterthought. For everyone except Danny and Greyworm, that is, on account of their personal connection. Maybe it would have some significance if Cersei hadn't killed her hostage immediately. 

Now that I mention it, why did Cersei kill her? Does Cersei *want* Danny to burn the Red Keep?

45 minutes ago, darmody said:

My point is that with Danny's ships destroyed and a dragon dead, Miss Sandy should be an afterthought. For everyone except Danny and Greyworm, that is, on account of their personal connection. Maybe it would have some significance if Cersei hadn't killed her hostage immediately. 

Now that I mention it, why did Cersei kill her? Does Cersei *want* Danny to burn the Red Keep?

Cersei doesn’t want anything anymore except to do that ridiculous lip curl she always does. 

1 hour ago, darksellsword said:

Everyone hoping for Cleganebowl but doesn't Greyworm have first dibs on killing undead Clegane now that he removed the head of his one reason to be human?

The Mountain followed an order like a good soldier does, Grey Worm understands that(he would still want to kill him). Cersei gave the order, so she would be his target first.   

The Hound was tortured by the Mountain personally, without someone telling him to do it, big difference.

58 minutes ago, darmody said:

Missandi was Danys' closest female friend and spokesperson if nothing else and beheading her like that sent a point, a big F you to Dany. Think of it as Ramsey killing Rickon, it was meant to provoke her and have mistakes made in rage.

because Terminator writes the script ...

...must make Dany angry, must make Dany angry ....

...killing people she likes makes her angry .... 

...must kill people ... must kill people ....

...must kill a dragon ... sorry, we already had that, she didn't get angry

...must kill Joegon VI... sorry, too main a character...

...must kill ... error ... error ...

...must kill person she never talks to but knows ... must kill person she never talk to to make her angry .... 

choose a person:

a) Missandei

b) Greyworm

Honestly, Jorah should have been the person to die. But sadly, the Terminator script already killed him last episode and it will never jump back and write things in a way that make more sense. Too bad. 

26 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Missandi was Danys' closest female friend and spokesperson if nothing else and beheading her like that sent a point, a big F you to Dany. Think of it as Ramsey killing Rickon, it was meant to provoke her and have mistakes made in rage.

But Cersei shouldn't want to provoke Danny, unless she has something up her sleeve. 

Regarding the Battle of the Bastards, we were made to understand that in order for Jon's plan to work, Ramsay had to move first. Ramsay inducing Jon to act first ruined Jon's plans. The situation between Cersei and Danny is different. Cersei needs either for Danny not to attack while Urine and the Golden Company beat her army, or one more dead dragon. 

Now Danny should be able to attack at night and swoop in and out before the scorpions can hit her. Should, but the show keeps shifting the power level of these things. And she has extra motivation from Miss Sandy's death to do so.

What would be the twist, here? Cersei rigs King's Landing to blow from Danny's attack while she sneaks off to some island paradise with Urine's ship?

Ah, so the script writing this season is done by by an AI? That explains SO much! I might actually enjoy it if that were the case... would also explain why most of the characters are now so robot-like.

As for Miss Sandy's death, I literally went "meh" when it happened. She's had, what, two lines this season, none of them important except to Grey Worm, himself a completely inconsequential character so far?

1 hour ago, darmody said:

I think Cersei may be baiting her. As far as Missandei goes, she was close to Dany, Cersei knew this would provoke her into acting rashly perhaps.

5 minutes ago, darmody said:

But Cersei shouldn't want to provoke Danny, unless she has something up her sleeve. 

By pulling her  into a battle before Aegon arrives with the Northern Army she can meet her opponent with a better numeric ratio. She can also hope to pull the battle close to her ballista\scorpions on the battlements and perhaps get a lucky kill on the dragon. 

2 hours ago, darmody said:

My point is that with Danny's ships destroyed and a dragon dead, Miss Sandy should be an afterthought. For everyone except Danny and Greyworm, that is, on account of their personal connection.

Cersei knows the personal connection between Daenerys and Missandei and uses Missandei as leverage -- either to make Daenerys give up or to turn her to fury and rage and provoke mistakes.

Killing a dear one of the opponent has always been a move to open a battle. It reduces logical behavior and provokes tactical errors.

39 minutes ago, Kajjo said:

Cersei knows the personal connection between Daenerys and Missandei and uses Missandei as leverage -- either to make Daenerys give up or to turn her to fury and rage and provoke mistakes.

No, leverage would be holding onto her. Then Danny would have a reason not to attack. 

Danny isn't going to give up, and enraging her provides a high likelihood of Cersei's fiery death. There is the chance the last dragon gets killed, but what kind of gamble is this? There's no clear advantage to infuriation. It's not like Danny is Jon on the battlefield against Ramsay. Danny rushes in, there's another king behind her. 

7 minutes ago, darmody said:

There's no clear advantage to infuriation.

You are right. I wouldn't have done it, too. However, Cersei thinks differently from the two of us. Cersei is now driven by other things and she has shown signs of wrong assessments before (cf. High Sparrow issue).

8 minutes ago, darmody said:

No, leverage would be holding onto her. Then Danny would have a reason not to attack. 

Yeah, that would have been a possibility. However, she wanted to infuriate Daenerys. Cersei feels somehow save with thousands of smallfolk in the Red Keep. Cersei hates her people, she probably looks forward to Daenerys burning them all and having the guilt for something Cersei would like to do anyway. 

10 minutes ago, darmody said:

There is the chance the last dragon gets killed, but what kind of gamble is this?

They already killed Rhaegal quite easily. They have a lot of giant scorpions there. The chances are not bad, seen from the perspective of Qyburn and Cersei.

Archived