The Last of the Disappointments?

4 hours ago, 21st Century Moose said:

So you missed the part where the dragons were shot from the side and the ships came round a corner at the end of a cliff? Where the ships were, you know, hidden? Because that part seemed really obvious and difficult to miss. 

Really? So the reason Dany didn't see Euron's fleet whilst on her dragon (high up in the sky) is because there was a cliff hiding the fleet? That is a ridiculous explanation. She had an aerial view, there's no logical explanation as to how she would not have seen the fleet even if they crept up from behind the cliffs. The cliffs are not tall enough, not wide enough, not long enough, not enough anything to hide a whole fleet.

1 minute ago, Lord Varys said:

Yeah, that's what I've been saying. Once we get the finale the re-watch potential of this thing will quickly drop to zero. Because very few people will be able to wrap their heads around the nonsensical plot. In addition to the other issues this will be the final nail in the coffin. If you know the ending, if you know what's going to happen you give much more thought to characterization and setup. And the series doesn't deliver on that front at all. Pretty much no character in this show has any kind of believable or convincing motivations for his or her actions.

Which...I don't understand why they'd do this, other than they think all their fans are idiots or don't care.

Though, perhaps, most don't care, to be honest. The casual viewer does not give a shit about the sort of stuff that drives some of us to forums like this one. 

D&D, and by extension a lot of those in charge of many on-screen fantasy and sci-fi series, are really going for as broad a veiwer ship as possible. That means they will dumb it down and go for shock value. 

I think what's frustrating to those of us that are more interested in the details, is that we can probably figure something out that's smarter while also giving some shock. 

I mean, I know I could have plotted this season and last season better, without even using fan service. I know because I've been thinking about the possibilities for an ending for years now. I imagine most people on this forum are similar.

3 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

D&D, and by extension a lot of those in charge of many on-screen fantasy and sci-fi series, are really going for as broad a veiwer ship as possible. That means they will dumb it down and go for shock value. 

No, that's just because those morons cannot really do television or fictional content in general. If you have a great literary property and actually the budget and the time to properly adapt that as detailed as possible any competent/sane person would do that. There is no need to dumb down. Sure, you do have to make some cuts and alterations and perhaps some streamlining here and there. But these guys actually had the time and the money to do this great series of novels justice.

Keep in mind the show started to grow in popularity when they were not exactly making all that much 'dumbing down' and still used a lot of great plots and especially dialogue from George.

11 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

Benioff said Dany forgot about the Iron Fleet. So, it's not even just that she didn't see it. She forgot about it. 

She forgot about the Iron Fleet......how?

That's the kind of crap they come up with. 

Yep...she probably thought they were random sailors lol 

13 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

No, that's just because those morons cannot really do television or fictional content in general. If you have a great literary property and actually the budget and the time to properly adapt that as detailed as possible any competent/sane person would do that. There is no need to dumb down. Sure, you do have to make some cuts and alterations and perhaps some streamlining here and there. But these guys actually had the time and the money to do this great series of novels justice.

Keep in mind the show started to grow in popularity when they were not exactly making all that much 'dumbing down' and still used a lot of great plots and especially dialogue from George.

That's true, but I think a lot of that was word of mouth, especially with so many of the shocking events that occurred early on. The show combined two of the biggest cinematic draws - sex and violence, and to a huge extant. That's all that's enough for a lot of people, sadly. 

I'm with that with such a detailed background, just putting a little time and thought into it all would make the show soooo much better. D&D just chose not, because they don't need to. It's not what attracts a large segment of the audience. 

I’ve been reading through all of the feedback on last episode’s threads. We can all debate why stuff doesn’t make sense or why we like or dislike the outcomes, but I think the reality is D&D have been exposed as poor television producers and or writers. Once they ran out of the confines of GRRM’s actual novels to adapt from, the quality of the show and storyline had progressively declined. I thought Season 6 was a letdown, sans Battle of the Bastards and the L+R=J reveal, which GRRM confirmed. Chalk it up to every great show can have a bad season so we continued to watch. Season 7 seemed to pick back up a bit  and showed some promise, but still choppy. And here we are in Season 8... 

Yeah, they aren't the creatives this sort of story needed, but they are definitely lazy about the writing. 

I think the only thing holding the series together a this point are the actors, who do a great job with what they have. 

50 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

Benioff said Dany forgot about the Iron Fleet. So, it's not even just that she didn't see it. She forgot about it. 

This is hilarious.  We need more of these explanations.  They really illuminate the show.

1 hour ago, anjulibai said:

The lack of shame they must have in order to admit to something like that.

Dany has been so fixated on conquering Westeros that she forgot about the Iron Fleet, one of her biggest obstacles? How could they even write that scene and not ask themselves, how can we justify her forgetting about the Iron Fleet and then not seeing it?

It's simply trash.

1 minute ago, LearnToBeNoOne said:

The lack of shame they must have in order to admit to something like that.

Dany has been so fixated on conquering Westeros that she forgot about the Iron Fleet, one of her biggest obstacles? How could they even write that scene and not ask themselves, how can we justify her forgetting about the Iron Fleet and then not seeing it?

It's simply trash.

She forgot the fleet that fucked her last season... 

Do they watch their show? 

Which...I don't understand why they'd do this, other than they think all their fans are idiots or don't care.

Though, perhaps, most don't care, to be honest. The casual viewer does not give a shit about the sort of stuff that drives some of us to forums like this one. 

Exactly, it drove me to sign up to this forum so that I could discuss with those who do care.

The casual viewer likes the shock element and doesn't really care for inconsistencies as long as they are entertained. I'm sure everybody is aware of the decline in quality, no surprise as they've surpassed the books and the writers of the series are no way near qualified enough to continue a story of this caliber.

I think what's frustrating to those of us that are more interested in the details, is that we can probably figure something out that's smarter while also giving some shock. 

It's our fixation on the details and thinking ahead, trying to understand the present by considering the past and what that means for the future as opposed to taking it episode by episode that has put us in this position. I'm almost certain we would not be this frustrated with the story if we watched it casually accepting that it ticks the boxes that any decent soap should, bit of love bit of betrayal and a lot of shock yet that's not what Game of Thrones set to be about.

I mean, I know I could have plotted this season and last season better, without even using fan service. I know because I've been thinking about the possibilities for an ending for years now. I imagine most people on this forum are similar.

Definitely, wouldn't be surprised if we've thought of more endings than the writers of the series. Can't seem to find much evidence that proves otherwise. They've proven themselves to be so unqualified - even if the ending didn't satisfy everybody as people have their favourites, what they've failed to do is build up to that point in the correct manner, justice has not been done. 

12 minutes ago, divica said:

She forgot the fleet that fucked her last season... 

Do they watch their show? 

Exactly, which suggests to me Dany wasn't the only person who forgot.

It seems like we pay a lot more attention to their show than they do, they're living of ratings and the shock value.

Weiss said. “At some point, if and when it’s safe to come out again, somebody like [HBO’s ‘Thrones’ publicist Mara Mikialian] will give us a breakdown of what was out there without us having to actually experience it.”

To which Benioff added, “I plan to be very drunk and very far from the internet.”

Sums it up really, no they can't please everybody but they aren't even trying to hide how much of a poor job they've done.

6 hours ago, anjulibai said:

It's all rushed, bad writing, is what this episode, and this season, boils down to. They didn't give themselves the time to craft something that is logical and consistent with the rest of the story.

It's a sad end to the series, and I honestly feel, at least for me, that the rest of the series is tainted for it. My husband and I were talking about it, and we both agree, we just don't think we can watch the series again (despite watching it over and over for years now). I just can't watch these characters develop and interact, knowing how they end up. 

I feel the same...there is nothing bittersweet about this atm...just pain 

12 hours ago, Amris said:

The viewer can not help but be slammed with the sledgehammer of the fact that the desired outcome hat 100% influence on the script and in-story logic had 0%. Which means suspension of disbelief is impossible which means suspense is gone completely. :(:(

Well said man.

They forgot the urine fleet lol. Not even go for they were damaged from the undead fight?

Black ship, black sails, and who needs cannons.

Here’s what most likely happened: 

In the books, Jon will be Azor Ahai and have to kill Dany, his Nissa Nissa, so the Others can be defeated. 

But the show didn’t set up Azor Ahai. But because D&D are hacks who like shocks for shocks, they wanted to keep Jon killing Dany because “shocking”, but couldn’t do Azor Ahai without making it obvious. So they came up with “Dany goes crazy” to justify it - plus it gives them a nice taste of “them womz and their emotions!”, which they happen to like a lot. 

I just can’t wait for those books. 

Quote from George rr Martin "It doesnt matter where a story is told, in space, at sea or in a medeval based history. A good story always comes from the human heart". I don't know about you guys but i seem to have lost the "heart" bit of the story. Dan and Dave seem to be on a shock factor mission but its not shock im feeling just immense disappointment. 

The little details with human interaction i was looking forward too got cut, i really wanted to see everybodys reaction to Jons parentage. How Arya would react to this, or Sansa or tyrion instead it was cut. Jons initial reaction to Arya killing the night king or Jon finding ghost alive and at the very least interacting with him with a pat on the head. Instead We where left uncomfortable with the hounds comments to Sansa, Jaime and Briennes rushed unemotional bedding, which completely took the shine away from the knighting scene.

Rhagal I'm lost for words, i agree with a lot of the comments it was unlogical, first spear hit him directly front on in the chest, second in the wing and the third side on through his neck. So Euron managed to move his boat at a 45 degree angle from the dragons whilst staying hidden behind a rocky outcrop with a three perfectly clear shots. 

I enjoyed the game of thrones for its small touchs of magic it is a fantasy after all. But Dan and Dave are on a mission to destroy any magic left in the realm starting with Wargs, the others, the children of the forest, giants, and now dragons. Arya and Jon are both wargs in the books their direwolves would never leave them, they are a part of them, seeing through their eyes, sharing personality traits, the tv show has just disappointed me beyond words.

Seeing small details in the scenes, and then spotting the starbucks cup!! The whole thing was rushed, and doesnt portray a story from the human heart anymore. Its now a story of two writers who are badly trying to shock the world, no wonder theyve gone into hiding for the next three weeks.... All i can say is roll on for Winds of Winter, George RR Martin is legend and i will continue waiting patiently for his book.  

14 hours ago, Nightwish said:

I don't think this is the Last of disappointments, apparently there are many to come. 

I agree. Ever since Dany came to Westeros, they have started debating as such with Varys and Tyrion "worrying" she can show trends of her father. But if they had wanted us to believe that this is the case, they have not supported it strong enough. Dany does what she always did. Nothing extreme, she hasn't start hearing voices or becoming delusional seeing traitors all the way even to her best friends. She even forgave them for their past actions and drove her army to help the North. Are these signs of going crazy? 

Vary's explanations or even excuses are simply a joke. 

But.

Neither Tyrion nor Varys was on hand when Dany did some of her more Aerys like actions in Essos.  They didnt see that up close.  The one time Dany wanted to go all 'fire-and-blood' in Mereen, Tyrion was able to talk Dany out of it.  

I usually enjoy reading, discussing and watching GoT-related stuff off season, and quite often re-watch episodes, on occasion whole seasons.

But if the ending we get is the one the show is currently spiraling towards, I'm probably done with this universe completely.
I just can't see myself re-watching the show when I know what a shitfest it ultimately will end in.
There's no satisfaction, no "replay"-value if you know the whole story is ultimately pointless.

4 hours ago, MinscS2 said:

I usually enjoy reading, discussing and watching GoT-related stuff off season, and quite often re-watch episodes, on occasion whole seasons.

But if the ending we get is the one the show is currently spiraling towards, I'm probably done with this universe completely.
I just can't see myself re-watching the show when I know what a shitfest it ultimately will end in.
There's no satisfaction, no "replay"-value if you know the whole story is ultimately pointless.

Before you could watch it and appreciate it for what it was, looking forward to what's to come because there was direction - there was a story, development and so much more to it. Now it's just a whole bunch of random nothingness.

So why put yourself through all those hours again when you know at some point it begins to decline tremendously and the show starts to move in a nonsensical way, destroying everything that took so long to build.

Unless you stick to the good seasons and think of what it could have been - yet then it will feel unfinished even though you know there's an ending to it all just with very bad seasons building up to it.

Archived