A thought on the Iron Throne

We know that all Valyrian sorcery was based on blood and fire, which along with iron happen to be the key ingredients of the Iron Throne. All of which makes me wonder whether Aegon wrought some kind of magic upon the throne so that all those who usurped it died before their time.

Maegor: Actually died on it

Aegon II and/or Rhaenyra: Poisoned and consumed by a dragon.

Robert: Killed by a pig

Joffrey: Poisoned at his own wedding

Tommen & Myrcella: We know from the prophecy (and show) they're doomed.

It's not as if anyone who takes the throne legitimately ldies of old age in their bed (Aenys, Aegon V...), but the fact that every single usurper dies unnaturally seems too much of a coincidence.

The throne's also cruel to those Kings who rule poorly, Aerys 'King Scab' being the best example, but Viserys I's slicing his hand open at the moment of dealing poorly with the succession also seems like a sign.

Thoughts?

Good evidence, it's certainly possible. The only reason I say no is just because Aegon never really showed any lean towards sorcery. I also kind of think the Targs would stay away from magic if possible with the memory of their flight (relatively) fresh. 

I think more the Throne is just meant to represent the burden of rule, especially in Maegor's unique case. Neither Robert or Joffrey were even killed in the throne room. And neither prophecy nor the show should be trusted haha. 

Good answer for the most part.  The throne is the symbol of the united kingdom of westeros.  The Targaryens built the kingdom with fire and iron.  Those swords are tempered with Balerion's dragonfire.  What will happen is going to be the mirror image of Lord of the Rings.  Instead of the broken sword getting repaired the iron throne will be broken.  The swords will be needed to fight the WWs.  The kingdom only holds together as long as the throne is intact.  People will survive but Westeros will be broken.  The reader will be left wondering about the future when the story ends. 

This is tinfoily but maybe Aegon knew the apocalypse was coming.  He built the throne to preserve these weapons for future use against the ice zombies.

4 hours ago, Lord Vance II said:

The only reason I say no is just because Aegon never really showed any lean towards sorcery.

Yeh. If anyone, Visenya was more likely to dabble in sorcery. If she put some dark arts into the fashioning of the Iron Throne, it doesn't make sense that that sorcery would have treated Maegor badly.

4 hours ago, Valyrian Fyrewyrm said:

It's not as if anyone who takes the throne legitimately ldies of old age in their bed (Aenys, Aegon V...), but the fact that every single usurper dies unnaturally seems too much of a coincidence.

Most of the Targaryens die early - violent deaths, illness and otherwise are common. We basically have Aegon I and Jaehaerys I who live into their sixties, and other than Maester Aemon I don't think we even have a single example of a male Targaryen who lived that long. Some of the women may have lived longer - Visenya was in her seventies and Alysanne in her sixties and at least a couple others from later in the dynasty could have lived through to old age. But the fact is that it's a dangerous world and very few make it to old age. When you are a Targaryen or a king you've got the added dangers of assassination attempts to reckon with.

I don't believe that there is any magic in the IT. It's just what it represents. Crowns and thrones both have tremendous psychological power over people. They represent the highest power on Earth/Planetos. The fact that our IT is made-up from the swords of the defeated almost emphasises this. In a world where might is right, it's a difficult symbol to argue with. But you don't need to be in the same room as the IT to feel it's power. Men and women from all over the realm desire it. It's legitimacy. It is absolute. Or, it seems to be. 

Very interesting point and you presented reasonable evidence.

13 hours ago, Lord Vance II said:

Good evidence, it's certainly possible. The only reason I say no is just because Aegon never really showed any lean towards sorcery. I also kind of think the Targs would stay away from magic if possible with the memory of their flight (relatively) fresh. 

This is a major counter-evidence in my opinion. I think Targs, especially, but Valyrians in general didn't really know much about their magic (dragon stuff included). This is my impression at least: They know they have magical powers, they know what works and how to make it work, then they just repeat it. They don't seem to really understand how far they can actually go, what are the consequences and the foundations of their magic.

9 hours ago, Syl of Syl said:

Yeh. If anyone, Visenya was more likely to dabble in sorcery. If she put some dark arts into the fashioning of the Iron Throne, it doesn't make sense that that sorcery would have treated Maegor badly.

Visenya is the best candidate to have infused the throne with magic but she couldn't know, at that time, that her son would be a ilegitimate ruler so maybe this is why the throne killed Maegor, considering he is indeed magical.

Baelor I: Starved himself
Daeron I: Got assasinated by Dornish
Maekar I: Died from a siege
Aegon IV: Died horribly
Aegon V: Burned alive
Aerys II: killed by his own Kingsguard

neither of these people are usurpers, yet they die before their time.
but I think Iron Throne got some sorcery on it, It wound any King it finds unworthy, Aerys II, Maegor and Joffrey

Archived