Is the quality of this season low?

Mordor

I do not think the quality is bad at all.   Id actually call it excellent!

However, I think the writing and progression became unfocused and hurried after surpassing the books, especially after season 6.  GRRM does not leave a lot of holes (so far), other than something like "Hey! you said he had GREEN eyes 2,789 pages ago, now they are BLUE!"

For example, Cersei's pregnancy.  She was revealed as being pregnant.  People traveled to and from the wall and winterfell, several times, time passed, battles waged.... and she still wasn't "showing" at all.   Also, the lack of development into Dany's "mad king" transition, which became THE major plot point for the entire story.

I also hated the ill-conceived mission of WALKING past the wall to capture a Wight amongst 100K+ of them.  And walking without much equipment or anything.  Then, comparing their fight in the most vulnerable of predicaments to the Night's Watch, fully equipped on the Fist of the First Men... it was a huge suspension of previous ground-rules established.

And Jon just dumping Ghost.  

I do not think any of these are "show ruiners" or anything to get too twisted up about.  The Dany thing could have greatly enhanced the story if handled right.

1 hour ago, Mordant Jester said:

I do not think the quality is bad at all.   Id actually call it excellent!

However, I think the writing and progression became unfocused and hurried after surpassing the books, especially after season 6. GRRM does not leave a lot of holes (so far), other than something like "Hey! you said he had GREEN eyes 2,789 pages ago, now they are BLUE!"

For example, Cersei's pregnancy.  She was revealed as being pregnant.  People traveled to and from the wall and winterfell, several times, time passed, battles waged.... and she still wasn't "showing" at all.   Also, the lack of development into Dany's "mad king" transition, which became THE major plot point for the entire story.

I also hated the ill-conceived mission of WALKING past the wall to capture a Wight amongst 100K+ of them.  And walking without much equipment or anything.  Then, comparing their fight in the most vulnerable of predicaments to the Night's Watch, fully equipped on the Fist of the First Men... it was a huge suspension of previous ground-rules established.

And Jon just dumping Ghost.  

I do not think any of these are "show ruiners" or anything to get too twisted up about.  The Dany thing could have greatly enhanced the story if handled right.

You just contradicted yourself.

Quality is a complex term, when speaking about televison or cinema. Quality of a television show is not only the writing. I'll say this

Cinematography: excellent

Music: Godlike

Acting: Oscar worthy

Design: Terrific

Directing: Pretty good

Writing: Pretty bad 

2 hours ago, T and A said:

Quality is a complex term, when speaking about televison or cinema. Quality of a television show is not only the writing. I'll say this

Cinematography: excellent

Music: Godlike

Acting: Oscar worthy

Design: Terrific

Directing: Pretty good

Writing: Pretty bad 

You can't have Oscar-worthy acting with pretty bad writing.

2 hours ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

I disagree with that.

For example in last episode that close up shot of Daenerys. You could see the frustration, sadness, dilemma, anger, confusion all on that face.

From the behind the scenes clip you can see she is sitting on a green saddle looking at nothing but a green screen all around.

If that's not good acting, I don't know what is....

Bad writing is the one that gives cringey dialogues and character assassination. NOT bad acting.

Very few of the entire cast in GOT were bad actors/actresses

8 hours ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

Sure you can. You can have a pretty bad screeplay, and the actor does a terrific job with it. What are you even saying? Emilia Clark, especially in the last episode, is killing it. The story was not that good.

I don't think, you understand that much about acting, do you? A good actor can act good, even when the screenplay is bad. That is, among others, one thing that makes an actor good. 

On 5/7/2019 at 6:18 PM, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

This is literally like people complaining about a restaurant "The food tastes terrible, and the portions are so small."

The shortened season haven't led to lazier storytelling, the shortened season is because of lazy storytelling.  D&D can't write clever and realistic dialogue, all they can do is write filler dialogue that's mostly dick jokes.  That's why you see a huge rehash of earlier season dialogue, that's why you have all the important conversation take place off camera.   They shortened the season because they didn't want to work at writing any of that dialogue, so they filled the season with action, filler dialogue based on nostalgia and jokes.

Lengthening the seasons would not have solved the problem, it would have just meant 3 to 4 more hours of filler.

Agreed. The story deserves more breathing room, but it would only lead to filler episodes with bad or no dialogue, "emoting" by actors leaving to have us guess what that character feels or is thinking, and a sudden twist giving viewers whiplash on the character's "surprise"!

6 hours ago, robasp2 said:

For example in last episode that close up shot of Daenerys. You could see the frustration, sadness, dilemma, anger, confusion all on that face.

From the behind the scenes clip you can see she is sitting on a green saddle looking at nothing but a green screen all around.

Emilia just had to think of D&D's writing while pretending to be a on dragon ;)

When it comes to directing and production, I can't help but think that people like Sapochnik are being shafted by Benioff & Weiss. I have heard that there have been some horror stories in the production department at this point, such as D&D demanding 2 weeks to train horse actors for a stunt that was physically impossible for them to learn in less than 6 weeks. 

I don't think it's being disrespectful of their work to say that I kind of think that good music, production, and direction (when they're not doing shot-reverse-shot non-conversations) is superb, but that makes the quality of the show all the worse. Lena Headey is great, but there is only so much she can do when they wrote her to drink wine and stand at a window, mostly. Writing is the key to anything, and Game of Thrones would be a far better show if it stayed at Season 1 quality writing -- even if it stayed at Season 1 quality production.

Archived