Armies left on both sides

Mihai Brasoveanu

19 hours ago, The_Spanish_Inquisition said:

Driving an exhausted and diminished army  south for another battle is exactly the strategy that lost Harold the Battle of Hastings, and resulted in the Norman takeover of England.  

In real life Harold was the defender rather than the conqueror, of course, but I can’t help but see the comparisons. 

Dany is pushing her luck too far, and she’ll end up regretting it. 

Please, that's not gonna matter in D&D's own comic relief show

20 hours ago, the tower of albion said:

In the trailer as the Golden Company march out a hooded figure most likely Jamie can be seen moving past them. The Valonqar.

12 hours ago, Corvinus said:

I noticed that, but the figure looked pretty tall. I assumed the Hound.

If you look at the figure's feet, they look like they are facing the same direction as the Golden Company is moving. The hooded figure is being lead out with the Company. If it is the hound, then he has been caught already.

18 hours ago, nyser1 said:

If the Lannisters have half a brain they will stay on the defensive. Even if the Reach, Stormlands, Dorne, rest of the Vale, and Riverlands joined the siege for Dany/Jon, they have the city walls protecting their army and a fleet to resupply the city. 30,000+ land forces and a massive navy + strong fortifications? Solid defense.

But where do the supplies come from?

9 hours ago, SerChristian said:

Depends on the tactics, the element of surprise. Daenerys won't make the same mistake again, and there probably won't be scorpions all around the ships.

Yes I agree. Every time I see those Scorpions, all I can think is ‘those obviously can’t shoot straight up’. She just needs to attack the fleet the same way Aegon attacked Harrenhall. Fly way up high, divebomb from directly above. Problem solved, no more Euron. 

16 hours ago, Kaguya said:

Eurons fleet full of scorpions? That would be suicide 

If they were in the same formation as last episode he could fly behind them to set them on fire, the scorpions would be next to useless for an attack from behind them.

5 hours ago, Hodor's Dragon said:

But where do the supplies come from?

Essos...although if they have complete control of the seas in the southern half of the continent - could come from the Reach or Westerlands.

They also could have gathered from the Riverlands, Crownlands, and Stormlands up to this point. Clearly they were preparing for a siege.

6 hours ago, Aedam Targaryen said:

Yes I agree. Every time I see those Scorpions, all I can think is ‘those obviously can’t shoot straight up’. She just needs to attack the fleet the same way Aegon attacked Harrenhall. Fly way up high, divebomb from directly above. Problem solved, no more Euron. 

And as you see in the preview, Euron is looking straight up into the sun and you can see the outline of a dragon in the sun, looks like a dive bomb to me.

On 5/6/2019 at 7:08 PM, The_Spanish_Inquisition said:

Driving an exhausted and diminished army  south for another battle is exactly the strategy that lost Harold the Battle of Hastings, and resulted in the Norman takeover of England.  

In real life Harold was the defender rather than the conqueror, of course, but I can’t help but see the comparisons. 

I do like that comparison, watched an interview of GRRM’s and he clearly states he’s been influenced by major historical events. It’s clear to see in the books but not sure the current writers would have been able to pull out such a strong reference so let’s hope it plans out differently. 

Saying that she’s on a strict deadline with 2 episodes left. Gotta thank D&D for that. 

On 5/6/2019 at 1:08 PM, The_Spanish_Inquisition said:

:agree:

As much as Sansa's recommendation was taken as snark, it made sense.  Dany is being impatient and a tad reckless.  Both Varys and Sansa tried to convince Dany not to proceed immediately to KL.

On 5/7/2019 at 6:45 PM, dbunting said:

And as you see in the preview, Euron is looking straight up into the sun and you can see the outline of a dragon in the sun, looks like a dive bomb to me.

Divebomb and light up the masts, sails, and spars on a bunch of the ships.  Job done.  The fires will take care of the rest.

4 minutes ago, Tywin Tytosson said:

:agree:

As much as Sansa's recommendation was taken as snark, it made sense.  Dany is being impatient and a tad reckless.  Both Varys and Sansa tried to convince Dany not to proceed immediately to KL.

Yep. Dany made a mistake here, perhaps prompted by her legitimate annoyance at Sansa’s continued disrespect for her. I can’t blame her for that. 

I do blame her for not recognizing that Sansa had a real point regarding the troops. Dany reacted badly, because she hasn’t learned how to rule, and because she’s been surrounded for years by people who do little but tell her how amazing she is.

Dany has not learned how to be a queen instead of a conqueror. 

While Sansa recommendation was valid and made sense, I can see wanting to push out imminently. If the soldiers where to sit around and rest, the support and favor she just received from just winning the battle would fade. Also its hard to call up the banners once the soldier are comfortable in their beds. If the northern soldiers were to stay for a bit, chances are they would never leave the north again. Whether she pushes out or rest, she is at a lost.

On 5/6/2019 at 5:56 PM, SerChristian said:

Solid yes, but I think Drogon will burn Eurons fleet to ashes in the next episode. Just got this hunch.

I believe this as well.  Dany has a special place in her heart for Euron, right about now.

The Iron Fleet is the key to the surviving or losing a siege.   If the IF is lost, then the Golden Company almost has to come out and fight, to force the issue.  Or they can do what they did to Stannis, when he ran out of food (and burned his daughter) outside Winterfell - abandon him, and offer to join the other side.  Where do u think the Bolton's got all that cavalry to crush Stannis?

The GC should have 0 interest in participating in a long siege, especially if the IF is destroyed or driven off.  Mercenaries don't want to sit there and starve.  Not good for (their) business.

On 5/6/2019 at 10:56 PM, TheFirstofHerName said:

Best scenario is if the Golden Company turns on Cersei.  There is also a spoiler about Sansa meeting with a rep from the Iron Bank.   Right now Cersei is winning unless her fortunes change.  

I would love if Arya somehow kills the commander of the Golden Company, taking his face, then turn them against Cersei.

Archived