Dragons far to weak

I have to agree. Everyone in history easily beaten by dragons. Arrows just bounce off them. Nobody until Qyburn, in all of those years and battles thought to say "You know, we could just make a bigger crossbow, that'll probably do it."

It did leave me wondering why everyone on Dragonstone was debating whether or not Dany should burn King's Landing instead of whether or not Dany could burn King's Landing, given that her remaining dragon would have to face what are apparently a whole lot of really capable dragon-slaying ballistas. 

17 minutes ago, Stormking902 said:

D and D butchered dragons to the point they are laughable ........ Huge fail IMO. 

They made the dragons too weak, yes. I agree. 

2 minutes ago, Wagshell said:

Nobody until Qyburn, in all of those years and battles thought to say "You know, we could just make a bigger crossbow, that'll probably do it."

Well, yes, sort of. Qyburn invented a new weapon. It is not completely nonsense but a little bit far-fetched.

2 minutes ago, Wagshell said:

Everyone in history easily beaten by dragons.

Yes, it somehow doesn't fit how easily Rhaegal was brought down here.

Just now, Anthony Pirtle said:

It did leave me wondering why everyone on Dragonstone was debating whether or not Dany should burn King's Landing instead of whether or not Dany could burn King's Landing, given that her remaining dragon would have to face what are apparently a whole lot of really capable dragon-slaying ballistas. 

Just fly in straight down from high above the ballistas-of-doom...one of two things can happen:

They can't shoot vertically and get burned.

They can shoot vertically and the bolts fly straight up and then down and destroy the ballistas-of-doom.

1 minute ago, Wagshell said:

I have to agree. Everyone in history easily beaten by dragons. Arrows just bounce off them. Nobody until Qyburn, in all of those years and battles thought to say "You know, we could just make a bigger crossbow, that'll probably do it."

Actually untrue: Dorne was able to kill a dragon using a scorpion (lucky shot) and this caused them to stave off the Targaryen's invasion for example. The problem with what happened in #08-04 is not that those ballistas were able to kill a dragon, the problem is a fleet was able to sneak up on him and his brother and hit him while in the air.

Just now, dannyk65 said:

Just fly in straight down from high above the ballistas-of-doom...one of two things can happen:

They can shoot vertically and the bolts fly straight up and then down and destroy the ballistas-of-doom.

I would never vouch for the cleverness of Cersei Lannister as a strategist, but I have to assume all the ballistas of doom aren't located in a single space. If Drogon were to fly down on one of them, wouldn't the one, say, 150 feet away, just shoot him?

Just now, Anthony Pirtle said:

I would never vouch for the cleverness of Cersei Lannister as a strategist, but I have to assume all the ballistas of doom aren't located in a single space. If Drogon were to fly down on one of them, wouldn't the one, say, 150 feet away, just shoot him?

Wait for night time. Profit...

1 minute ago, Anthony Pirtle said:

Fair point.

Would even the odds at night though!

4 minutes ago, dannyk65 said:

Sooner or later the Dragon has to pull up at which time it is in the ballista sights again.

Just now, Ser Gareth said:

Sooner or later the Dragon has to pull up at which time it is in the ballista sights again.

Did the ballista-of-doom even have sights?

4 minutes ago, Anthony Pirtle said:

That's an excellent idea, if he's all alone and doesn't start breathing fire, but that wouldn't help Dany take King's Landing.

That doesn't help Dany keep King's Landing in one piece. The moment those ballistas lose accuracy in the dark is the moment Dany uses Drogon to burn them and breach the walls. But the point the people leading the show are trying to make is Dany is so enraged she ends up razing King's Landing and is a saviour no more, turning into a destroyer instead.

2 minutes ago, Ser Gareth said:

It's an expression.  In their aim was probably a better way for me to put it.

No way, dude!  Iron sights are a thing and would help the shooter greatly but the show is skipping mundane details for more cock talk

1 minute ago, dannyk65 said:

No way, dude!  Iron sights are a thing and would help the shooter greatly but the show is skipping mundane details for more cock talk

I don't really see why the Roman's would have required sights, as I don't think they'd be shooting at flying objects?  I may be wrong and can't be arsed to research to be honest.  I always thought they were used more in siege warfare.

1 minute ago, Ser Gareth said:

I don't really see why the Roman's would have required sights, as I don't think they'd be shooting at flying objects?  I may be wrong and can't be arsed to research to be honest.  I always thought they were used more in siege warfare.

It's pretty funny to me because it just seems as likely shooting down a helicopter with a handgun.  

Archived