Dragons far to weak

35 minutes ago, Stormking902 said:

D and D butchered dragons to the point they are laughable ........ Huge fail IMO. 

Imagine Aegon taking Harrenhal with these dragons hahaha. 

I agree. I can't really add to this. The dragons that were so invincible are easier to kill than in times past. All the magical lore around re-hatching the lost dragons seems to amount to nothing more than a slightly better advantage. The wildfire was more significant. A waste. The purpose seems to be to weaken Daenyrus. She can't be invincible in the end.

Just now, Stark_in_Winterfell said:

I agree. I can't really add to this. The dragons that were so invincible are easier to kill than in times past. All the magical lore around re-hatching the lost dragons seems to amount to nothing more than a slightly better advantage. The wildfire was more significant. A waste. The purpose seems to be to weaken Daenyrus. She can't be invincible in the end.

Which is why Cersei should not have been the final villain. But I know that ship has sailed so there's no point crying over spilt Walkers.

What they could and should have done is emphasize the damage that Rhaegal suffered to Viserion during the battle, which would have compromised his armour and made him vulnerable.  But at this point the storytelling in this show is so bad on every level that it's really just a youtube montage of random battles and fights.

17 minutes ago, dannyk65 said:

It's pretty funny to me because it just seems as likely shooting down a helicopter with a handgun.  

Book Dragons, yes.  Show Dragons, no.  Those bolts are bloody big.  It's the equivalent of throwing a human sized javelin into an elephant.  One may not kill it (at least not immediately) if it doesn't hit a vital organ, but throw a few and it's going to die.

In the books the dragon scales are tougher than in the show and I believe one was taken down by a ballista bolt, but only after the bolt went through the eye in a lucky shot.

Just now, Ser Gareth said:

Book Dragons, yes.  Show Dragons, no.  Those bolts are bloody big.  It's the equivalent of throwing a human sized javelin into an elephant.  One may not kill it (at least not immediately) if it doesn't hit a vital organ, but throw a few and it's going to die.

In the books the dragon scales are tougher than in the show and I believe one was taken down by a ballista bolt, but only after the bolt went through the eye in a lucky shot.

Those soldiers defending Harrenhal back in the day must've been the worst of the worst.

9 minutes ago, markdotinc said:

What they could and should have done is emphasize the damage that Rhaegal suffered to Viserion during the battle, which would have compromised his armour and made him vulnerable.  But at this point the storytelling in this show is so bad on every level that it's really just a youtube montage of random battles and fights.

When it comes to dragons, this isn't actually bad story telling (being able to hit a flying object from that range probably is, but not the damage one would do if it hit a dragon).

The show Dragons simply aren't as "tough" as the Dragons in the books, in the same manner as the Whitewalkers are different (harder to kill in the show with normal weapons, but easier to kill overall as they can be killed by dragon glass).

1 minute ago, dannyk65 said:

Those soldiers defending Harrenhal back in the day must've been the worst of the worst.

Why?  As I already said, the Dragon hide was tougher in the books.  Bolts had little effect on them as they couldn't pierce through the scales (which in itself is absurd, but hey so are Dragons!).

Just now, Ser Gareth said:

Why?  As I already said, the Dragon hide was tougher in the books.  Bolts had little effect on them as they couldn't pierce through the scales (which in itself is absurd, but hey so are Dragons!).

Harrenhal melted by dragon fire in the show as well...

Just now, dannyk65 said:

Harrenhal melted by dragon fire in the show as well...

Still not sure what the relevance is?  We aren't talking about the damage inflicted by the dragons but the damage that can be inflicted on them?

Using an analogy.  There is a book about a plane that drops nuclear bombs.  The plane is state of the art and no known missile can shoot it down.  The book adapts into a movie.  The plane still drops nuclear bombs but a special kind of missile is created, just in the show, that can shoot it down.

1 minute ago, Ser Gareth said:

Haha true, just bummed as they built up the importance of the legendary ferocious, unrivaled strength of dragons for 8 years now which seems rapidly diminished.

Just now, dannyk65 said:

Haha true, just bummed as they built up the importance of the legendary ferocious, unrivaled strength of dragons for 8 years now which seems rapidly diminished.

I think they're trying to insinuate that Qyburn created the Ballista and it didn't exist back then, at least not in Westeros.

There are lots of holes in both book and show lore.  For example, if the Dragons were so powerful then Valyria would have conquered the entire world thousands of years ago.

1 minute ago, Ser Gareth said:

Still not sure what the relevance is?  We aren't talking about the damage inflicted by the dragons but the damage that can be inflicted on them?

Using an analogy.  There is a book about a plane that drops nuclear bombs.  The plane is state of the art and no known missile can shoot it down.  The book adapts into a movie.  The plane still drops nuclear bombs but a special kind of missile is created, just in the show, that can shoot it down.

I'm not confused about their vulnerability; just disappointed with how poorly (in my opinion) the show depicted it.  

I'm not sure if they are too weak, or since no one really has anything to compare it against they were just assumed to be completely unstoppable.  These are only 7 years old, so I can see them getting far tougher as they age more.

That being said...knowing that they are on the move in a war, why wouldn't they be flying higher - at least one of them to be on the lookout for anything out there?  Even just a pod of whales to eat?  Sadly that's just a question of tactics and strategy that the show has made clear isn't even a consideration.

The funny thing is, how they actually hit them while they were still flying;

1- The shooter must be insanely skilled on using Scorpion

2- Dragons must be flying really slow to get hit that easily

I would understand if they catch the dragons off guard on the land, but since when Euron has become an expert on using Scorpions so he can even shoot flying beasts on the sky?

5 minutes ago, Erkan12 said:

I would understand if they catch the dragons off guard on the land, but since when Euron has become an expert on using Scorpions so he can even shoot flying beasts on the sky?

That's my biggest gripe too.  Hitting one from that range, especially on the first shot, was ridiculous logic wise.  But then they are trying to hit a dragon being ridden by a rider who isn't strapped in and merely holds on for dear life.  So logic isn't exactly something to cling to!

1 hour ago, Stormking902 said:

D and D butchered dragons to the point they are laughable ........ Huge fail IMO. 

Imagine Aegon taking Harrenhal with these dragons hahaha. 

The thing that insults me is that people are lording this as much a fantastic episode when everything that brought Dany to the point she's at now was down to her own stupidity when she should have known better. Why did she march her men to war straight off the back of a zombie apocalypse? When both of her dragons suffered bad wounds and, had Rhaegal actually been allowed to recover or - hell - had Jon riding him at the time, she might not have lost him.

Hell, why didn't Dany and the dragons see Euron as they approached Dragonstone? Just like with the death of Viserion, the death of Rhaegal was all down to poor writing and shoehorning Dany into bad choices when in reality she should have thought twice.

15 minutes ago, Greywolf2375 said:

That being said...knowing that they are on the move in a war, why wouldn't they be flying higher - at least one of them to be on the lookout for anything out there?  Even just a pod of whales to eat?  Sadly that's just a question of tactics and strategy that the show has made clear isn't even a consideration.

I was ok with eventually moving past the whole "charge" last week by the Dothraki for no reason, so hopefully someday I can get past this, too.

8 minutes ago, Erkan12 said:

He's got a great new tablet that gives him details on wind, barometric pressure, humidity etc,  Aids quite a bit!

/s

1 minute ago, Faera said:

The thing that insults me is that people are lording this as much a fantastic episode when everything that brought Dany to the point she's at now was down to her own stupidity when she should have known better. Why did she march her men to war straight off the back of a zombie apocalypse? When both of her dragons suffered bad wounds and, had Rhaegal actually been allowed to recover or - hell - had Jon riding him at the time, she might not have lost him.

Hell, why didn't Dany and the dragons see Euron as they approached Dragonstone? Just like with the death of Viserion, the death of Rhaegal was all down to poor writing and shoehorning Dany into bad choices when in reality she should have thought twice.

I get that she's experienced "the longer I wait, the stronger my enemies become" before but maybe fly them carefully so they don't get blasted outta the sky?

11 minutes ago, Erkan12 said:

Agreed - in order for them to be in range to hit them - and where he was hit - the ships had to be in some way in front of the dragons.  How do those predators not see something that large out on the water?  How did the shooters practice enough to know how to lead with something that big - it's not just Euron, three shooters in a row hit.

Archived