Dragons far to weak

Totally confused why this thread has descended into comparing Qyburns ballista with whatever The Romans and Spanish might have been using in medieval times. this isn’t set in medieval times, it’s set in Westeros, where they also use wildfire and dragons in battle and they’ve focused their scientific minds differently to invent different weaponry. 

I don’t have a problem with that. 

I do have a problem with how prone the dragon was. If the fleet could see them, Dany and the dragons should have seen the fleet. 

17 minutes ago, Figdoni said:

Totally confused why this thread has descended into comparing Qyburns ballista with whatever The Romans and Spanish might have been using in medieval times. this isn’t set in medieval times, it’s set in Westeros, where they also use wildfire and dragons in battle and they’ve focused their scientific minds differently to invent different weaponry. 

I don’t have a problem with that. 

I do have a problem with how prone the dragon was. If the fleet could see them, Dany and the dragons should have seen the fleet. 

Spoken like someone who doesn't have much respect for the fantasy genre. Martin's world is heavily influenced by the real world. Wildfire was influenced by Greek fire. Qyburn's invention is not something different, it's the same in form and function, but so overpowered it pretty much defies physics.

9 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Spoken like someone who doesn't have much respect for the fantasy genre. Martin's world is heavily influenced by the real world. Wildfire was influenced by Greek fire. Qyburn's invention is not something different, it's the same in form and function, but so overpowered it pretty much defies physics.

The book is focused on these things, but part of the fantasy element is that things are exaggerated. Castle walls are around twice as high as real life. Wildfire is much more powerful than Greek fire. 

Making a powerful balista is completely in keeping with this. 

12 hours ago, Stormking902 said:

D and D butchered dragons to the point they are laughable ........ Huge fail IMO. 

Imagine Aegon taking Harrenhal with these dragons hahaha. 

Yep, their weakness is ridiculous. They have not been used to their potential at all.

This is powerful:

Harren: What is outside my walls is of no concern to me. Those walls are strong and thick.

Aegon: But not so high as to keep out dragons. Dragons fly.

Harren: I built in stone. Stone does not burn.

Aegon: When the sun sets, your line shall end.

What's not powerful is her forgetting about Euron's fleet according to Benioff.

Then again if she had remembered for some ridiculous reason she would not have seen the fleet approaching anyway - so that second dragon was going to meet its demise regardless because that's what the writers wanted.

What would be powerful is if Dany had waited for the sun to fall like Aegon and burned down The Red Keep, Euron's fleet and the ballista's.

More unbelievable than the magic ridiculous ballistae is that people actually defend them even in a real world sense. It's there simply because they wanted to kill a dragon and enrage Danny and subvert expectations again (cheap surprise!). The lack of finesse and flow and groundness is of epic fail levels.

Yes, the show seems to be killing the dragons with abandon... but the dragons were always too OP for the grittiness of the rest of the universe.

I remember reading a long time back that GRRMs original design for the Targs was just for them to have fire magic, like firebenders from Avatar and then a friend suggested dragons and he thought cool and put them in. BUt he may have inadvertently broken the narrative balance in doing so.

I have always disliked Dany because she has dragons which has given her an unfair advantage - like a rich kid being all preachy about right and wrong. Now that they are taking her dragons away, I am starting to like her again - but I know that is just so they can make her go fire and blood and torch kings landing.

I feel like this is a lesson from Dan and Dave on how to kill the fantasy, in an epic fantasy story. lol

First leaving out Jon and Aryas warg abilities and killing Summer, "lets give Bran a warging superpower, and kill it off before he really gets a chance to us it". Second was the death of the last Giant, Wun Wun at the battle of the bastards. Third the children of the forest sacrificing themselves for bran. Fourth the Others and Night king. Fifth melissandra and her lord of light arc. Now Rhagal. 

Look out Drogon and Bran it doesnt look like the writers want the fantasy and magic surviving this story.

I'm super disappointed by the way the whole TV series has turned out.... Roll on, George rr Martin i will continue waiting patiently for Winds of winter, the level of writing is far superior and enjoyable.  

Archived