Goodbye Ghost

Interesting. I agree Ghost will be happier now but not seeing Jon stroke him or say goodbye didn't feel right. I guess Tormund and the other wildlings will appreciate him more. And was part of his ear torn off?

It's sad to see him go but with Jon on his way south and that Ghost was never gonna go all the way there, I guess it's a good ending. Just a shame how unimportant D&D saw the wolves in the end.

I really dislike how they "dealt" with Ghost - after being Jon's best pal for years, he goes missing for seasons only for Jon to send him off to a battle like this and when Ghost survives, he sents him away without a proper goodbye as it is no big deal at all. Hated that.

Yes, Jon should have given Ghost a hug for farewell. That was badly written. Jon seems not to care too much about him anymore and we don't know why this should be. 

Not taking Ghost to King's Landing, however, is a wise choice nonetheless.

Ghost might be the only character I like at this point but hes being given the most unceremonial send of and it felt a rubbish way to send him off, The dogs went to battle against the undead amongst others to protect his own and hes repaid by being given away, unwanted and not even worthy of goodbye cuddle, stroke or pat. Jon just looked like a dick here and it didn't really ring well with his character who I don't think would just shrug his shoulders and give him away. 

I thought Ghost was not cuddled or patted because he is not a mere dog and pet but a direwolf. That look which passed between him and his soulbound human Jon meant way more, it somehow humanised him. At that moment, Catelyn's warnings to her children not to seperate from the wolves came to my mind. Now Jon repeats that mistake when he goes South, a place which is not well suited for Stark men as Sansa reminds. One might think that Jon now completely embraces his Targaryen heritage and somehow denies the Stark within. However, when I saw Rhaegal fall, I couldn't help but think that Jon has now fallen into a deep identity crisis - neither Stark nor Targaryen (similar to Theon) - and finally lost all his (plot) armour and is about to face the same tragic destiny as so many Stark men who went South before him.

Really pulled my heartstrings to hear Jon tell Sam he’s his best friend, and then it immediately cuts to Ghost, mans supposed best friend, looking dejected and battle worn.

Dont understand why he couldn’t have left Ghost at Winterfell to protect Bran and Sansa, it’s about a far North as Ghost has spent most of his life, including having been born round there.

The canine subplot in GOT is the reverse of the human one.... that Jon is a wonderful master, beloved by his dire wolf, until he’s revealed in the show to have been a total bastard all along. 

Yes, having many, many issues with the show right now, haha - but this has been a big bone of contention for me the past few episodes. Ghost (and the other direwolves) were such an important part of the books and early show, and very interesting/special bond between them and the Starks (much like Targaryens and their dragons). I cried last night when Jon was able to hug Sam and thank him, and couldn’t even do the same for Ghost. Understand what the writers are trying to do...yes, Ghost is better off north of the Wall, and now Jon is without his dire wolf. But there wasn’t even much between him and Jon in the past couple episodes - no meaningful moment before or after battle. Give this beloved dire wolf some love and gratitude! At least we see Dany visiting and loving her dragons. :) 

I just feel like a warg would NEVER part with his animal. These wolves were linked with their people!!! Yes yes I understand happier in the North and all that, but I just can't see them separating. It seems wrong. So wrong. I noticed in the beginning of the episode that Ghost was standing with the wildlings and not at Jon's side and I thought that was weird. Then he left him. Not even a pet goodbye?? After all the times he has been there for you??? Almost makes me happy that he no longer has a dragon to ride.

22 minutes ago, LadyBlackwater said:

I just feel like a warg would NEVER part with his animal. These wolves were linked with their people!!! Yes yes I understand happier in the North and all that, but I just can't see them separating. It seems wrong. So wrong. I noticed in the beginning of the episode that Ghost was standing with the wildlings and not at Jon's side and I thought that was weird. Then he left him. Not even a pet goodbye?? After all the times he has been there for you??? Almost makes me happy that he no longer has a dragon to ride.

I think it was meant to seem wrong, just like it seemed wrong to me that Jon was going south.

I think their big mistake has been neglecting their relationship in these last few episodes (not to mention seasons, but lets just focus on season 8).  Even one scene of them directly interacting and Jon showing his trust, reliance and closeness with Ghost would have gone a long way.  It would have also mustered up an even greater sense of foreboding as Jon heads off south, leaving his wolf (and all that has made him who he is) behind. 

3 minutes ago, Red Dragon10 said:

I think it was meant to seem wrong, just like it seemed wrong to me that Jon was going south.

I think their big mistake has been neglecting their relationship in these last few episodes (not to mention seasons, but lets just focus on season 8).  Even one scene of them directly interacting and Jon showing his trust, reliance and closeness with Ghost would have gone a long way.  It would have also mustered up an even greater sense of foreboding as Jon heads off south, leaving his wolf (and all that has made him who he is) behind. 

Yes. All of this. 

42 minutes ago, MinscS2 said:

Should've just cut Ghost out of this season altogether. 
I feel genuinely bad for those fans who liked him. 

Doing it this way feels like a purposeful fuck you to the parts of the audience that have been talking about Ghost.  I don't believe and never believed this BS that the most expensive show in TV history couldn't scrape up a few more bucks for a direwolf.  So, throwing him into a handful of scenes and then having him off the show w/out any moment with Jon is the showrunners message to fans.  IMO

Archived