Goodbye Ghost

When that scene popped up and they looked at eachother and didn't even have 1 fucking moment....I screamed ''F YOU D&D''.

Seriously, seriously ! They showed Ghost 3 times total in the last 3 episodes, why not just cut them all out and use that small budget on this weeks episode and have Jon and Ghost have a moment ....wtf. F the Arya-Jon moment, I wanted a Ghost Jon moment. Their bond is too strong. F the dragons as well, so incompetent. Ghost was the true MVP. SHAME...SHAME...SHAME.

9 hours ago, Ghostlydragon said:

Interesting. I agree Ghost will be happier now but not seeing Jon stroke him or say goodbye didn't feel right. I guess Tormund and the other wildlings will appreciate him more. And was part of his ear torn off?

It's sad to see him go but with Jon on his way south and that Ghost was never gonna go all the way there, I guess it's a good ending. Just a shame how unimportant D&D saw the wolves in the end.

It's sad.....PETA should be involved. If you can't find a place to take your animals, find another place. Maybe KL just sin't for him.....

Another plot hole in this show version. Ghost isn’t a goldfish Jon got while he was in college and now he’s graduating so he gives it to his sophomore room mate. That’s what it felt like.

Goes to show that D & D never valued that aspect of the story. I expect it’ll be handled much differently if GRRM ever finishes the books. 

44 minutes ago, Gianna Dorenberg said:

When that scene popped up and they looked at eachother and didn't even have 1 fucking moment....I screamed ''F YOU D&D''.

Seriously, seriously ! They showed Ghost 3 times total in the last 3 episodes, why not just cut them all out and use that small budget on this weeks episode and have Jon and Ghost have a moment ....wtf. F the Arya-Jon moment, I wanted a Ghost Jon moment. Their bond is too strong. F the dragons as well, so incompetent. Ghost was the true MVP. SHAME...SHAME...SHAME.

I wish I could give you a thousand likes for that, but I can’t even give one. I’ve hit my limit for the day...

27 minutes ago, Green Knight said:

I wish I could give you a thousand likes for that, but I can’t even give one. I’ve hit my limit for the day...

Hey, I'm just glad we all feel the same about this. Funny that this is the only part of this show I had any emotional attachment for. And they stomped on it. I feel so sad about it I could hug you all in sadness. They are ok with spending so much money on BS things like Dragons....which have been nothing but useless...but couldn't even use an ounce of that budget towards an actual bond between a direwolf and a Stark. The first moment Jon had  Ghost in his hand, thinking about that makes me emotional. And to see that it all culminated in this abomination. I feel like crying. Out of anger.

Unfortunately, I'm not surprised at how they handled Ghost. Even when the show was of high quality, the writers have always undermined the Stark's connections/bonds with their wolves and just how much power they gain from these connections. Such an important method of symbolism and meaning in the books and the show's never respected its importance to the narrative, nor its importance to the characterisation of the Stark kids.

3 minutes ago, Greywolf2375 said:

Ghost is going to go off and find Nymeria and her pack, join up and then move south to eat Kings Landing.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing. Not gonna happen of course but funny all the same.

If Jon had given Ghost a true good bye I would've bumped my rating up a full point easily. Hell, had they introduced Ghost to Dany I would've bumped that episode a full point. But, I am a dog person as I am sure most in this thread are, so our views a slanted a bit.

I felt a twinge in my gut when Ghost whimpered. Felt the same twinge when I watched it a second time. It wasn't nearly as bad a Grey Wind crying out while being killed. At least Ghost gets to live and in this series that's the best we can hope for.

So my eldest son has gotten into GoTs and he recognizes the show has gone downhill since the first 4 seasons. But he also recons its not to the 1/10 type ratings I now give it, which he blames on my saltiness over being so disappointed. He probably speaks the truth.

So I said to him, what about Ghost? Jon was just mean to his sad, ear missing wolf and my son goes 'yer. but that is because Jon is giving everything up for Queen Dany, right? The wolf is just like a symbol of the past that Jon is giving away, to show how attached he has become to Dany to make it all sad and stuff when he has to go against her.'

I think my son may be onto something - Ghost in the show has become symbolic of Jon's connection to the north.

In the books Ghost and Jon are one, they are part of each other. Ghost is the one the reminds Jon where his loyalties should lie, and how he should remain a Nights Watch man, and keep the old gods. In the show, "Fuck off to the North you mangy mutt I ain't got time for you." Thats how it felt to me. 

33 minutes ago, ummester said:

So my eldest son has gotten into GoTs and he recognizes the show has gone downhill since the first 4 seasons. But he also recons its not to the 1/10 type ratings I now give it, which he blames on my saltiness over being so disappointed. He probably speaks the truth.

So I said to him, what about Ghost? Jon was just mean to his sad, ear missing wolf and my son goes 'yer. but that is because Jon is giving everything up for Queen Dany, right? The wolf is just like a symbol of the past that Jon is giving away, to show how attached he has become to Dany to make it all sad and stuff when he has to go against her.'

I think my son may be onto something - Ghost in the show has become symbolic of Jon's connection to the north.

I agree with that. Jon's shitty nod was him acknowledging his fading ties with the Starks, but that scene and his talk with Tormund made it feel like he's gonna return to the (true) North one day to reunite with Ghost and regain his Starkness.

The direwolves were essentially part of the Stark family so the best option was to just leave Ghost with Bran and Sansa, members of his "pack". 

However...while D&D don't deserve the benefit of the doubt for Jon's seemingly horrible decision here, I think they may have just set up the possibility that Jon finishes the story in a self-imposed exile (after losing Dany and rejecting the Throne) to the far North where a reunion with Ghost can happen in one of the final scenes.  

22 minutes ago, Astrotherapist said:

The direwolves were essentially part of the Stark family so the best option was to just leave Ghost with Bran and Sansa, members of his "pack". 

However...while D&D don't deserve the benefit of the doubt for Jon's seemingly horrible decision here, I think they may have just set up the possibility that Jon finishes the story in a self-imposed exile (after losing Dany and rejecting the Throne) to the far North where a reunion with Ghost can happen in one of the final scenes.  

I think that’s a very real possibility for the future, but having Jon leave ghost like he was flushing a dead goldfish down the toilet is still an absolutely ridiculous thing to do. Terrible writing and completely out of character... 

1 hour ago, ummester said:

I think your son is correct re. Jon's intentions, but it was still very badly written - he didn't have to coldly ignore the magnificent beast. However, I think there's a good chance that the show will end with Jon returning to the North, being reunited with the Last of the Starks and Ghost.

What I would LOVE to see - and I haven't noticed one word of speculation about this so I guess it's just me, but Arya right now is clippity-clopping with the Hound right through Nymeria territory. See what I'm sayin'?

7 hours ago, Astrotherapist said:

Ghost deserves better. If that happened I would love it if Ghost just ignored Jon. That would be a lovely fuck you moment.

Archived