Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, LearnToBeNoOne said:

They don't break contracts but if the person who hired them dies and the contract is over, they will be open to a new one. 

I wonder if Vary's will play at the foundations of The Golden Company and how it was founded by Ser Aegor Rivers - the bastard son of King Aegon IV Targaryen who was legitimised. Using that to gather support for the true heir to the Iron Throne, Aegon Targaryen. Maybe the Targaryen links will make it more plausible, if The Golden Company even cares about that. 

 

Well if you recall, in the books the golden company breaks their contract to support faegon. This could be the show version of that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Coffeewiththegods said:

Well if you recall, in the books the golden company breaks their contract to support faegon. This could be the show version of that.

You’re absolutely right.

Currently reading again and I’m on AFFC but I do recall, went to find the quote. Specifically Tyrion’s conversation with Illyrio Mopatis. When Tyrion asked how the Golden Company were convinced to break their contract with the Myr, the answer was as follows:

”Some contracts are writ in ink, and some in blood. I say no more” 

There could indeed be a show equivalent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, LearnToBeNoOne said:

You’re absolutely right.

Currently reading again and I’m on AFFC but I do recall, went to find the quote. Specifically Tyrion’s conversation with Illyrio Mopatis. When Tyrion asked how the Golden Company were convinced to break their contract with the Myr, the answer was as follows:

”Some contracts are writ in ink, and some in blood. I say no more” 

There could indeed be a show equivalent. 

I thought about this when the GC were first mentioned in the show.

I think the only way to get the GC to break their contract would be to re-establish their lands and titles that were stripped and there should be quite a few titles open since most houses, including great houses, seem to have been destroyed. 

Losing their lands and titles was house the GC formed and getting them back has always been their main goal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Vuron said:

I thought about this when the GC were first mentioned in the show.

I think the only way to get the GC to break their contract would be to re-establish their lands and titles that were stripped and there should be quite a few titles open since most houses, including great houses, seem to have been destroyed. 

Losing their lands and titles was house the GC formed and getting them back has always been their main goal.

Agreed, judging by ADWD what you said is very plausible. 

Remember Tyrion asking Illyrio Mopatis “How did you convince the Golden Company to take up the cause of our sweet queen when they have spent so much of their history fighting against the Targaryens?’’ To which Illyrio Mopatis replied “Black or red, a dragon is still a dragon. Daenarys will give the exiles what Bittersteel and the Blackfyres never could. She will take them home” 

If in the series she can promise to ‘take them home’ then they may very well decide to break their contract and serve her. It’s what they’ve always wanted so it makes sense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, LearnToBeNoOne said:

Agreed, judging by ADWD what you said is very plausible. 

Remember Tyrion asking Illyrio Mopatis “How did you convince the Golden Company to take up the cause of our sweet queen when they have spent so much of their history fighting against the Targaryens?’’ To which Illyrio Mopatis replied “Black or red, a dragon is still a dragon. Daenarys will give the exiles what Bittersteel and the Blackfyres never could. She will take them home” 

If in the series she can promise to ‘take them home’ then they may very well decide to break their contract and serve her. It’s what they’ve always wanted so it makes sense. 

Right. The GC has no real loyalty to Cersei. I mean why would they? This is VERY possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LearnToBeNoOne said:

Agreed, judging by ADWD what you said is very plausible. 

Remember Tyrion asking Illyrio Mopatis “How did you convince the Golden Company to take up the cause of our sweet queen when they have spent so much of their history fighting against the Targaryens?’’ To which Illyrio Mopatis replied “Black or red, a dragon is still a dragon. Daenarys will give the exiles what Bittersteel and the Blackfyres never could. She will take them home” 

If in the series she can promise to ‘take them home’ then they may very well decide to break their contract and serve her. It’s what they’ve always wanted so it makes sense. 

True, mind you Bronn summed up the sensible approach in 3 seconds!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TyrionFan82 said:

Right. The GC has no real loyalty to Cersei. I mean why would they? This is VERY possible.

It would be a good moment in the series and make sense - especially as that clearly is the GC's desire.

That to me suggests it's unlikely to be in the series as the writers can't even remember their own writing haha, so a reference of that kind this late on would mean they've arguably managed to get something right. Now that would be a shock just not the kind the writers go for but us readers would appreciate it. Although I feel as if it's too late for them to redeem themselves now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, House Cambodia said:

True, mind you Bronn summed up the sensible approach in 3 seconds! 

Haha the Bronn scene was a joke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LearnToBeNoOne said:

Haha the Bronn scene was a joke

It really was. His behavior towards the brothers made no sense.
He met both of them a mere couple of weeks ago (S7E7), he and Tyrion had a moment and he even admitted to missing Tyrion.

He's always been in it for himself and for money, but he's never been a dislikable twat before. 

Just one more character to be assassinated on the great flaming pyre of shit that was episode 4 this season.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, MinscS2 said:

He's always been in it for himself and for money, but he's never been a dislikable twat before. 

I thought he was entirely in character and was no more or less dislikeable than he's always been. However, to me his behaviour and the way he walked off smacks of doing a Hans Solo and reappearing just in time to save one of them next week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MinscS2 said:

It really was. His behavior towards the brothers made no sense.
He met both of them a mere couple of weeks ago (S7E7), he and Tyrion had a moment and he even admitted to missing Tyrion.

He's always been in it for himself and for money, but he's never been a dislikable twat before. 

Just one more character to be assassinated on the great flaming pyre of shit that was episode 4 this season.

 

Exactly, he's always had a good relationship with Tyrion so I never once believed he would actually kill him, it was just a bluff. His character before suggested that he wouldn't double cross plus he was always arguably always treated well by Tyrion - when he could afford to do so.

Bronn just rocking up and coming with this attitude, threatening to kill was a bit forced- especially given the circumstances that KL is preparing for war and the North has just finished a fight against the WW.

Yep, they ruined his character along with everything else in episode 4. It's him essentially taking a gamble on which side will win as neither side can give him lands atm but favours Tyrion as he's kept to his word before. As if we didn't know that would happen, Tyrion clearly said to Bronn: ''And if the day ever comes where you're tempted to sell me out, remember this: Whatever the price, I'll beat it. I like living.'' That's essentially what their relationship is based on so why did the writers think the viewers would believe Cersei will be successful in convincing Bronn to kill Tyrion and Jaime?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, LearnToBeNoOne said:

why did the writers think the viewers would believe Cersei will be successful in convincing Bronn to kill Tyrion and Jaime?

Who says D&D did believe that? Neither Cercei nor Qyburn know Bronn- to them he's a simple sell-sword. The plot seems fine to me - up to the viewer what they believe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/6/2019 at 3:24 PM, Coffeewiththegods said:

Do you guys think Varys will meet with the golden company to convince them to fight for Jon? 

no, I think it's implied he is going to send an assassin to kill Daenerys... Maybe a faceless man/woman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Aerys Blackfyre said:

no, I think it's implied he is going to send an assassin to kill Daenerys... Maybe a faceless man/woman

Yes, i think so. And he'll get caught/be betrayed and get done for treason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, LearnToBeNoOne said:

It would be a good moment in the series and make sense - especially as that clearly is the GC's desire.

That to me suggests it's unlikely to be in the series as the writers can't even remember their own writing haha, so a reference of that kind this late on would mean they've arguably managed to get something right. Now that would be a shock just not the kind the writers go for but us readers would appreciate it. Although I feel as if it's too late for them to redeem themselves now.

Woh-WoH

 

Yea, I love the show don't get me wrong. I'm admittedly to liberal w/my scores here but agree....that's  a big ask,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, House Cambodia said:

Who says D&D did believe that? Neither Cercei nor Qyburn know Bronn- to them he's a simple sell-sword. The plot seems fine to me - up to the viewer what they believe.

We're here to discuss but some assumptions are made from the things we're able to see.

They don't know him but the viewer does and that's important. It may make sense for Cersei to ask Bronn especially as he wouldn't dare to refuse her demands but due to his relationship with Tyrion in particular we know he's not going to follow through with it.

Cersei could have picked somebody else. Only logical explanation to picking Bronn would be that she knows him and trusts him to follow through with her demands. Bronn knows her brothers so it wouldn't be difficult to get in their company making the betrayal that much easier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, TyrionFan82 said:

Woh-WoH

 

Yea, I love the show don't get me wrong. I'm admittedly to liberal w/my scores here but agree....that's  a big ask,

Well I guess it's pretty much safe to say we will have a lot of disappointment to discuss after both episodes 5 and 6 haha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree. Varys is already spinning his web  - assassin or Golden Company or some other means. 

Just thought back to the scene in Episode 3 in the crypts - where Varys is sitting with the children (to protect them), and then Sansa and Tyrion join him, it’s clear what the writers are trying to set up. Had this plot been written in a more thoughtful way, had they followed the character development through the rest of this season and into another season, I think those of us who are so pissed about the abrupt character turns/poorly written and ridiculously fast-paced and unrealistic plotlines would buy into this so much more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×