Gendry

So Daenerys legitimised Gendry as Gendry Baratheon, Lord of Storm's End... Does that not also grant him a claim to the Iron Throne as the last living heir of Robert Baratheon? Okay yeah he obviously doesn't want the Iron Throne but neither does Jon yet she is paranoid about Jon but not Gendry. Even worse, the showrunners even make it out like it was a really smart decision with both Tyrion and her saying so.

Also, why did Gendry call himself Gendry Rivers? He has nothing to do with the riverlands, he would either have been Gendry Waters because of King's Landing or Gendry Storm because of the Stormlands.

16 minutes ago, Ashbolt said:

Also, why did Gendry call himself Gendry Rivers? He has nothing to do with the riverlands, he would either have been Gendry Waters because of King's Landing or Gendry Storm because of the Stormlands.

It's possible that Gendry was conceived by a tavern wench from the Riverlands when Robert was "Making the 8." 

19 minutes ago, Ashbolt said:

Good question. In the German translation it says "Gendry Wasser" (waters). Maybe they corrected a mistake here? 

20 minutes ago, Ashbolt said:

Does that not also grant him a claim to the Iron Throne as the last living heir of Robert Baratheon?

Not in the eyes of Daenerys, because if she wins no other non-Targaryen claims matter. Baratheon just usurped the throne.

And winning the throne by battle is always possible, not matter whether Gendry is legitimized or not.

Daenerys was smart here. It was an easy reward to five with no repercussions to her at all. 

25 minutes ago, Kajjo said:

Not in the eyes of Daenerys, because if she wins no other non-Targaryen claims matter. Baratheon just usurped the throne.

In Daenerys' eyes yes but to the rest of the realm he's just another claimant. Also, the current ruling house is Lannister or, in other words, House Baratheon continued, so his claim could actually be seen as more legitimate since it comes from the current ruling faction.

My point is that Gendry and Jon are practically in the same shoes in terms of their claims now yet Daenerys is made to act completely differently towards the two situations.

46 minutes ago, Ashbolt said:

So Daenerys legitimised Gendry as Gendry Baratheon, Lord of Storm's End... Does that not also grant him a claim to the Iron Throne as the last living heir of Robert Baratheon? Okay yeah he obviously doesn't want the Iron Throne but neither does Jon yet she is paranoid about Jon but not Gendry. Even worse, the showrunners even make it out like it was a really smart decision with both Tyrion and her saying so.

This is what I said! Why on Earth would you legitimise a son of the previous royal line? Even if she thinks her blood line is the only one that matters now, the rest of the world (particularly those who see her as the new usurper) certainly wont. And it was crazier still given that everyone thinks she's barren and can't provide an heir.

It was a ridiculous political move...

Gendry's legitimacy rests on Dany's legitimacy as queen. Take away her claim, and he's a bastard again. Therefore, he's not a threat. 

Plus, he's not known, and will need to develop support in his own lands first and foremost. And he's not a proven leader capable of uniting very different groups, at least not yet.

Personally, I think it was a very smart decision, as it shows that Dany is willing to keep the past in the past and move on. It also brings in an ally, as, again, Gendry owes his legitimacy to Dany. 

Just now, Stark_in_Winterfell said:

Does anyone feel bad for Gendry getting FRIEND ZONED by Arya? He got on his knees and proposed! Lol. She was nice about it, but damn.

Well, I have sympathy for him, he will feel really bad and disappointed -- but HE messed it up. Arya never wanted to be lady, Arya is not at all marriage material to be made to a lady on his side. That was a nonsense idea to start with. Gendry simply didn't understand her, her personality, her longings. 

It was fine how Arya reacted. Kissing him but saying no. Everything else would have been totally out of character for Arya.

Gendry would have had possible success if he had proposed that the two of them leave for adventures of the own. Or simply invited her to use Storm's End whenever she feels like it. Gendry should have taken her serious. Arya is not someone to be second line and bear children en masse.

11 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

Gendry's legitimacy rests on Dany's legitimacy as queen. Take away her claim, and he's a bastard again. Therefore, he's not a threat.

That's true, I didn't think of it in that way. Similar to how Jon's would have rested on Stannis' claim if he accepted Stannis' offer. Still, I personally don't think that legitimising a bastard of the previous line would ever be a smart decision especially when considering how unstable the realm is with people like Varys constantly shifting support. An alternative option would have been giving Storm's End to Davos. He's served well and has a family down in the Stormlands and it would probably assure loyalty in the same way as with Gendry.

6 minutes ago, Kajjo said:

Well, I have sympathy for him, he will feel really bad and disappointed -- but HE messed it up. Arya never wanted to be lady, Arya is not at all marriage material to be made to a lady on his side. That was a nonsense idea to start with. Gendry simply didn't understand her, her personality, her longings. 

It was fine how Arya reacted. Kissing him but saying no. Everything else would have been totally out of character for Arya.

Gendry would have had possible success if he had proposed that the two of them leave for adventures of the own. Or simply invited her to use Storm's End whenever she feels like it. Gendry should have taken her serious. Arya is not someone to be second line and bear children en masse.

The thing is, he's shown previously that he does know her. That's what really pissed me off about the proposal. He's teased her not being a lady for years, he knows she's a fighter (and this fact actually turns him on!), he's seen her scars, he experienced at least some of the traumas that she did.

I blame the writing, and this is not the only example of D&D completely ignoring established relationships and character development. 

5 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

The thing is, he's shown previously that he does know her. That's what really pissed me off about the proposal. He's teased her not being a lady for years, he knows she's a fighter (and this fact actually turns him on!), he's seen her scars, he experienced at least some of the traumas that she did.

Totally agreed. He has known. He should have understood.

5 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

I blame the writing, and this is not the only example of D&D completely ignoring established relationships and character development. 

Maybe so. Or maybe he was so overwhelmed with love and with being elevated to Lord of Storm's End, that he jumped the shot. But yes, I agree, it could be simply bad writing.

I thought it was a canny move by Dany. By the end of the episode she has 2 people in the whole continent truly on her side - Greyworm who's crazy for revenge, and doe-eyed Jon. She needs people loyal to her and she'll now have that with Gendry. In her getting-crazier-by-the-minute mind, she is the only true claimant to the throne - she won't see Gendry as a threat and he's not interested - although as Varys pointed out, that's of little importance.

1 hour ago, Kajjo said:

Good question. In the German translation it says "Gendry Wasser" (waters). Maybe they corrected a mistake here? 

And winning the throne by battle is always possible, not matter whether Gendry is legitimized or not.

Daenerys was smart here. It was an easy reward to five with no repercussions to her at all. 

There may be no repercussion to her but there could easily be ones down the road for her heir and there kids. It's one of the reasons Cat was against Robb making Jon legitimized. Out of fear of Jons kids or grandkids pressing their claim to WF over Robbs line. Something one of Gendry descendents could do in the future.

2 minutes ago, Daemon The Black Dragon said:

There may be no repercussion to her but there could easily be ones down the road for her heir and there kids. It's one of the reasons Cat was against Robb making Jon legitimized. Out of fear of Jons kids or grandkids pressing their claim to WF over Robbs line. Something one of Gendry descendents could do in the future.

See, I don't like Cat's reasoning there. The same thing could have been said of Bran and Rickon's descendants (if she'd known they were alive and been able to have any). Why bother having more than one son, then?

2 hours ago, Ashbolt said:

So Daenerys legitimised Gendry as Gendry Baratheon, Lord of Storm's End... Does that not also grant him a claim to the Iron Throne as the last living heir of Robert Baratheon?

No, since his legitimacy depends upon Daenerys restoring the Targaryen line and wiping out his claim.

1 hour ago, Stark_in_Winterfell said:

Does anyone feel bad for Gendry getting FRIEND ZONED by Arya? He got on his knees and proposed! Lol. She was nice about it, but damn.

I felt bad for him, but he should have known that would never work. Its not her. 

1 minute ago, RhaenysBee said:

Gendry the war hero who’s rewarded for being a war hero. I wish we had seen at least one shot of Gendry doing something heroic. Oh well. 

The dialogue in that scene was so fucking awful, though.  So, we've got Varys, the Starks, the Lannisters, major players and high lords.....all preparing to go South and NO ONE KNOWS who is running the Stormlands?  No wonder these fools got another dragon killed for no reason. 

Archived