Gendry

2 hours ago, Ashbolt said:

So Daenerys legitimised Gendry as Gendry Baratheon, Lord of Storm's End... Does that not also grant him a claim to the Iron Throne as the last living heir of Robert Baratheon?

Someone is the heir to the Baratheon seat and who ever it is has a claim via being Roberts heir. By placing someone who owes their position to her and her legitimacy, someone in her army she has far more control over the situation. 

Just now, Cas Stark said:

The dialogue in that scene was so fucking awful, though.  So, we've got Varys, the Starks, the Lannisters, major players and high lords.....all preparing to go South and NO ONE KNOWS who is running the Stormlands?  No wonder these fools got another dragon killed for no reason. 

I was actually half happy that someone even remembered storm’s end. That places hasn’t been mentioned since season 2. But yes, it is entirely ridiculous that Sansa as lady of Winterfell and Jon as king in the North don’t know who rules 3 of the seven kingdoms. 

1 minute ago, Cas Stark said:

The dialogue in that scene was so fucking awful, though.  So, we've got Varys, the Starks, the Lannisters, major players and high lords.....all preparing to go South and NO ONE KNOWS who is running the Stormlands?  No wonder these fools got another dragon killed for no reason. 

To be fair, nobody knows who's 'running' the Twins, Riverlands, the Reach, Harrenhal, Bear Island ..... tons of ancient families have been wiped out, not just the Baratheons.

1 minute ago, Cas Stark said:

Renly's Castillian or at least who ever replaced him will be "running" Storms End but Tommen should have been the last person to claim it by birth right. Its likely Cersei is keeping the positions open so to speak and continues to run it the same way she gained the kingdom, by being around when most of the nobility were killed. 

1 hour ago, tinyskeeveuk said:

This is what I said! Why on Earth would you legitimise a son of the previous royal line? Even if she thinks her blood line is the only one that matters now, the rest of the world (particularly those who see her as the new usurper) certainly wont. And it was crazier still given that everyone thinks she's barren and can't provide an heir.

It was a ridiculous political move...

This was more of the showrunners doing fan service than anything. It has become abundantly clear that this season is all about fan service, arya/gendry, jaime/brienne, clegane bowl, and now gendry being legitimized. 

1 minute ago, House Cambodia said:

To be fair, nobody knows who's 'running' the Twins, Riverlands, the Reach, Harrenhal, Bear Island ..... tons of ancient families have been wiped out, not just the Baratheons.

Why not?  The war of 5 kings is over, the war against the NK never went south of WF, and the war of two queens has yet to begin. 

Ravens are flying.  Cersei is ostensibly the queen.  Everyone should know who is ruling these regions.

2 minutes ago, Cedius_3 said:

This was more of the showrunners doing fan service than anything. It has become abundantly clear that this season is all about fan service, arya/gendry, jaime/brienne, clegane bowl, and now gendry being legitimized. 

Right, but then they piss all over that fan service. It's like a big FU to many fans. 

11 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

Gendry the war hero who’s rewarded for being a war hero. I wish we had seen at least one shot of Gendry doing something heroic. Oh well. 

Now, I could be wrong but I remember her calling him a hero, not specifically a war hero.

I think he's more wizard than hero. Maybe a wizard-hero? What else do you call a guy who single-handedly invents a method for melting and hammering volcanic glass into an array of weapons (some custom from crude, not-to-scale drawings) and uses that method to outfit an army in like a week.

13 minutes ago, One-Eyed Raven said:

Now, I could be wrong but I remember her calling him a hero, not specifically a war hero.

I think he's more wizard than hero. Maybe a wizard-hero? What else do you call a guy who single-handedly invents a method for melting and hammering volcanic glass into an array of weapons (some custom from crude, not-to-scale drawings) and uses that method to outfit an army in like a week.

You’re right, he is a hero not a war hero. But I still don’t know what kind of heroic act are we talking about or what is he a hero of. Or maybe there was a take someone’s virginity contest in Winterfell! That makes sense to me, Gendry did beat Tormund and Jaime to that. Okay, I’m fine now, I understand everything. 

28 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Why not?  The war of 5 kings is over, the war against the NK never went south of WF, and the war of two queens has yet to begin. 

Ravens are flying.  Cersei is ostensibly the queen.  Everyone should know who is ruling these regions.

Yep. If we ever get more books I have no doubt that GRRM will spill vast quantities of ink detailing exactly who is in charge of each kingdom and what adventures or intrigues earned them the post. I expect there will be competing lords, in some cases, based on which back Cersei and which are welcoming to Dany. Perhaps even some expansion on what Varys said about how some will support Jon's claim whether he wants it or not. Indeed I suspect there will be military skirmishes in "The Last War" fought on the front of member kingdom successions.

But that's all peripheral to the main line story, which is all the show is running with now.

2 minutes ago, DrogonTargaryen said:

Yep. If we ever get more books I have no doubt that GRRM will spill vast quantities of ink detailing exactly who is in charge of each kingdom and what adventures or intrigues earned them the post. I expect there will be competing lords, in some cases, based on which back Cersei and which are welcoming to Dany. Perhaps even some expansion on what Varys said about how some will support Jon's claim whether he wants it or not. Indeed I suspect there will be military skirmishes in "The Last War" fought on the front of member kingdom successions.

But that's all peripheral to the main line story, which is all the show is running with now.

Sure, GRRM loves all that stuff, as do I. In terms of the show, I was surprised that Dorne got a line - I assumed they'd completely forgotten it exists.

3 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

You’re right, he is a hero not a war hero. But I still don’t know what kind of heroic act are we talking about or what is he a hero of.

It happened offscreen. A lot of "I don't understand it, this glass keeps breaking when I smash it with my hammer!" Then a montage of inventing safety goggles, consulting some ancient scrolls in the library, adding a pinch of this or that, etc.

It's possible I'm watching the show for the wrong reasons now.

As an unacknowledged bastard, he shouldn't have any surname at all, not even Waters. Bastard surnames are for those illegitimate children who are acknowledged by a noble parent, and Gendry's parentage was never public...

5 hours ago, Kajjo said:

Arya is not someone to be second line and bear children en masse.

Arya is my favorite and it would have been completely stupid if she had swooned and said Oh Yes! It was a funny scene. The whole thing made me laugh. I don't think Gendry ever really understood Arya. 

39 minutes ago, Stark_in_Winterfell said:

Arya is my favorite and it would have been completely stupid if she had swooned and said Oh Yes! It was a funny scene. The whole thing made me laugh. I don't think Gendry ever really understood Arya. 

I agree that Arya's reaction was completely in line with her character. That's not to say that they're completely incompatible, it's just that the only way for them to work would be if Arya somehow got to set the rules. But I get the impression that in any situation Arya would feel trapped inside a castle. She seems restless even in WF, always being absent from gatherings and lurking around and then finally setting off to pursue her agenda.

I think Gendry understood Arya once but she is still largely affected by her crazy journeys and has yet to reestablish some of her humane aspects. Besides, she still has a mission to fulfill. I think it would be totally fair to explain the proposal with him simply being in love with Arya and still euphoric about the fact that he wasn't, after all, eaten by ice zombies, as well as having just been legitimized and named the lord of a major house.

Dudes there were 3 Baratheon branches:
1. King's Landing
2. Dragonstone
3. Storm's End.

Robert was a lord of Storm's End but then he claimed King's Landing. Stannis was his heir presumptive and as such was given Dragonstone (though he did not like it). Storm's End passed to Renly (much to Stannis' dismay).

First thing after Robert died, Stannis terminates Renly and his branch and reclaims Storm's End. Then him and his branch is terminated. So the claim to the Storm's End belongs to the closest kin which apparently is Gendry. However Gendry cannot inherit unless the taint of bastardy is removed from him. And this can be only done by his overlord. Now if he accepts Danny as such (and her ability to remove taint) then his claim to the King's Landing is forfeit in favor of Danny. Essentially he sold the Seven Kingdoms for the Storm's End.

Nice move Danny.

12 hours ago, Stark_in_Winterfell said:

Totally agree. She's my favorite as well and Gendry simply didn't understand her. Exactly what I explained before.

16 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

Their reaction was oddly appropriate, because their ignorance mirrors our own. Westeros feels "empty", like an empty gameboard where characters are moved to and fro at the whims of the screenwriters. For all intent and purpose, all of Westeros except Winterfell and King's Landing is completely bereft of people, a landscape of empty castles and cardboard cities.

This is why the constant talking about "gaining the support of the lords of Westeros" rings hollow. This is why two characters sitting in a inn can offer the Reach to a random cutthroat. This is why the throwaway mention of "the new prince of Dorne" feels weird.

Archived